- The Streets of Copenhagen Will Soon Have Communal Fruit Trees (Intelligent Living) http://bit.ly/3apMz5W
- Meals On Wheels Serves Up Breakfast, Lunch And Community At Local Diner (NPR) https://n.pr/2RDeyqj
- Supreme Court allows Flint residents to sue city and state over water contamination (CBS News) https://cbsn.ws/36jjAgU
- The number of Flint’s student
- Scurvy: is it really making a comeback in the UK? (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2SXnybZ
- Veganuary is huge. But is it really as simple as animal foods bad, plant foods good? (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/36jlazd We seem to have forgotten that , just like meat, vegan food can damage the planet
- Fixing the Business of Food (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2SVgzQN
- How to solve the big problems that small family farms are facing (Salon) http://bit.ly/3aotMrD
- The dark side of plant based food – it’s more about money than you may think (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2QLgrRe
- How Brazilian Chefs Are Using the Fruit That Can Turn Anything Blue (Atlas Obscura) http://bit.ly/2QQ80UF
- Food labels too complicated for most shoppers to understand – new research (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2QPmdBn
- Liederkranz Cheese (Atlas Obscura) http://bit.ly/2SY33Mn This long-extinct pungent delight has made a comeback in Wisconsin.
- Amazing Aerial Views of Lavender Field in the South of France (My Modern Met) http://bit.ly/2QzsjXy
- Sacrebleu! Michelin strips third star legendary Bocuse restaurant after 55 years (CNN) https://cnn.it/2R7S2H1
Farmers, Farming, Ranching, Herding, Fishing & Production
- Farmers Are Buying 40-Year-Old Tractors Because They’re Actually Repairable (Vice) http://bit.ly/35L3I6G John Deere makes it difficult to repair its new tractors without specialized software, so an increasing number of farmers are buying older models. Yes!
- Open source technology could be a boon to farmers (Salon) http://bit.ly/2QRlCjX Open source technologies will help small farmers compete against the large operations
- The Latest Green New Deal for Farmers Would Restructure Everything About How They Make Money (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/36qzplL “The current system is killing our soil, and farmers have hardly any incentives to do anything different.”
- Farming’s Growing Problem (The Center for Public Integrity) http://bit.ly/3aCYSf7 Fertilizers are contaminating and warming the planet. Regulators haven’t acted on decades-old warnings.
- The Last Floating Farms of Mexico City (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2ZT3qZU A collective of farmers is trying to revive chinampas, a 1,300-year-old method of farming.
- Women Farmers Are on the Rise in the Last Frontier (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2T3RZNT Alaskan women are almost as likely to start farming as their male counterparts
- Life at the End of the National Food Chain (Earth Island Journal) http://bit.ly/36rG13p Sitka, Alaska, offsets food insecurity through farming, fishing, and foraging – and an uncommon sense of community.
- Midwestern Farm Network Is Leading the Way to Chemical – Free, Sustainable Farming (Truthout) http://bit.ly/2GmhxxR
- New report confirms challenges for young and beginning farmers (Salon) http://bit.ly/36NXKmT It’s a tough time for farmers across the nation.
- How This Farmer Uses Produce To Connect To Family (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2v6ZQA3
- New study: changes in climate since 2000 have cut Australian farm profits 22% (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2rVLWQ2
- About 300,000 hens were killed in a fire at a Michigan egg farm (CNN) https://cnn.it/2ZRPK1v
- Wisconsin lost almost 800 dairy farms in 2019. Is the 2020 outlook better? (WSAW) http://bit.ly/35E2xpk
- Half the milk came from 3% of farms (Hoard’s Dairyman) http://bit.ly/36KY99B
- The Plight Of The Old-Fashioned Fisherman On A Changing Ocean (NPR) https://n.pr/2t3aeIF
Land and Soil
- Soil is our best ally in the fight against climate change – but we’re fast running out of it (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/35pFfUh
- Waiter, There’s a Climate Surcharge in My Soup (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2TT0Q5o A new initiative will use haute cuisine to fund carbon sequestration.
- For a Sustainable Food System, Look to Seeds (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2Rn9nL2 The resilience of food production in the face of a changing climate will depend on the both traditional ecological knowledge and Western science.
- Climate change is hurting farmers -n even seeds are under threat (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2QtdTZ7
Plants, Seeds & Cultivars
- Cherokee Nation to disperse rare heirloom seeds in February (ABC Tulsa) http://bit.ly/30Vhgf5
- On the trail of tiny tubers: Four Corners potato a staple of Native American diets (The Durango Herald) http://bit.ly/3850Fry
- 10,900 Year-Old Four Corners Wild Potato (Red Butte Garden) http://bit.ly/36QFr0l
- The Cosmic Crips apple is not the future (Salon) http://bit.ly/380mmZy Focus groups, consultants and fungicides brought us the Cosmic Crisp. Is its taste worth the cost?
Water & Our Oceans
- Lake Erie turns toxic every summer. Officials aren’t cracking down on the source. (The Center for Public Integrity) http://bit.ly/38DZkIy
- America’s Radioactive Secret (Rolling Stone) http://bit.ly/2GaVDh7 Oil-and-gas wells produce nearly a trillion gallons of toxic waste a year. An investigation shows how it could be making workers sick and contaminating communities across America
- US Drinking Water Widely Contaminated With ‘Forever Chemicals,’ Watchdog Says (Reuters) https://reut.rs/30T5DFq
- Bottled Water: Unhealthy, Dirty and Costly (Medium) http://bit.ly/2tTeQBa What Companies Do Not Disclose But Consumers Must Know
- Three Companies, Including “Crystal Geyser,” Charged with Illegally Transporting Hazardous Waste Containing Arsenic (US Department of Justice) http://bit.ly/38kyncy
- Crystal Geyser Pleads Guilty to Illegally Storing Arsenic-Laden Wastewater (NBC Los Angeles) http://bit.ly/37m64Kw The case focuses on the bottling plant’s wastewater, not the safety or quality of Crystal Geyser’s water, prosecutors said.
- Pain, cancer, death: Michigan families devastated by toxic chemicals in their water (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2QJ8JIC Residents had for years been drinking water contaminated by dangerous PFAS chemicals – and the impact has been brutal
- The plan to protect the Chesapeake is failing, and it’s Pennsylvania’s fault (Salon) http://bit.ly/36r4qGt The Chesapeake is the largest estuary in the US and a nationally significant economic resource
- ‘Scale of This Failure Has No precedent’: Scientists Say Hot Ocean ‘Blob’ Killed One Million Seabirds (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/30rYIme
Food Culture & History
- The 7 foods that made Maine (Bangor Daily News) http://bit.ly/2QOr7zC
- How steak became manly and salads became feminine (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/37HYYA8
- How the Government Came to Decide the Color of Your Food (Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/30VX7VV A business historian explains America’s commitment to regulating the appearance of everything from margarine to canned peas
- These Lost Crops Were a Likely Staple Food in Indigenous North America (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2uoZrc9
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity, Malnutrition & Nutrition
- When Disaster Hit California, Sikh Temples Provide Meals and Refuge (Atlas Obscura) http://bit.ly/36H7f6Y Sikhs statewide have organized to feed their fellow Californians in crisis.
- Red meat plays vital role in diets, claims expert in fightback against veganism (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2MZfsvw As millions cut out animal products, farming conference hears that fruit and vegetables have been drained of nutrients
- Research: Changes in USDA Food Composition Data for 43 Garden Crops, 1950 to 1999 (Save Our Soils) http://bit.ly/2QMgcp4
- Omega-3 oils in farmed salmon ‘halved in five years’ (BBC News) https://bbc.in/2ZRMD9L
Gleaning, Foraging, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Mealworms Can Eat Toxic Styrofoam Safely (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2SXe5Bm Not as good a solution as not using Styrofoam, but it’s something.
- Airline Cabin Waste Is Aviation’s Other Environmental Crisis (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/367cMTw
Healthy Food & Food Safety
- What must be done to get toxin out of Kenya’s food supply (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2N1JNtp
- 170 people sickened at Yosemite National Park after likely norovirus outbreak (CNN) https://cnn.it/2sAd8UP
- More foreign ownership of US beef processors raises food safety concerns (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2GkLkXK Brazilian meat company Marfrig – currently under investigation for making bribes – is now majority owner of one of the biggest beef processors in the United States.
Food Fraud, Scandals, Weird & Funny
- Missouri farmer ran one of the frauds in US history (The Washington Times) http://bit.ly/2TFfuNr
- Meal Delivery Service Accused of Repackaging Other Companies’ Frozen Foods (Vice) http://bit.ly/36DvbIr
- People Are Fighting to Change an Anti-MSG Term in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary (Vice) http://bit.ly/30CeOtv Chef Eddie Huang and TV hos Jeannie Mai are calling out the dictionary’s outdated definition for “Chinese restaurant syndrome.”
- Texas Police Learn That Yes, You Can Dust Cheese Slices for Fingerprints (Vice) http://bit.ly/2NnMV3c After the Carrollton PD discovered a number of cars covered in cheese, they realized the “cheese slices produce GREAT fingerprints.”
Children & School Food
- Why Do We Have School Lunch Debt at All? (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2FVZT3O We live in a nation where food is plentiful but millions of children experience hung and food insecurity.
- Countless American families are saddled with student lunch debt. Many won’t be able to pay it off. (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/38fpTDD
Labor, Unions & Coops
- An SOS Call for America’s Workers (The American Prospect) http://bit.ly/2Rr5oyf The new Clean Slate report alerts the public and policy members about the dismal state of workers power and worker voice.
- Jail Inmates Worked for a $16 Billion Company Without Pay. Now Thy Want Their Wages. (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/37H7cIw “They’re making money off of using us prisoners and we’re not getting anything in exchange.
- Raising the Minimum Wage by Just $1 Could Literally Save Lives (Vice) http://bit.ly/2Nlz7WP A new study found that states with higher minimum wages have lower suicide rates among people without college degrees.
- DoorDash drivers make an average of $1.45 an hour, analysis finds (Salon) http://bit.ly/2G6aREg
- The Crazy Life of a Chef Is Nothing to Celebrate (Vice) http://bit.ly/3ar9NIU
- The grooming gap: What “looking the part” costs women (Salon) http://bit.ly/37XjZGY If women don’t conform to beauty expectations, they’re paid less. As a chef in a male dominated field, I can’t tell you how many times I have been told how to dress when coming in to work, before my uniform is on. Recently, a boss was shocked how “well I cleaned up,” and staff members think I am gay because I keep my very curly hair short. The list goes on…
- Thousands of Google’s cafeteria workers have unionized (Vox) http://bit.ly/2ZYU7ru Around 2,300 contracted workers who serve meals to Google employees in the San Francisco Bay Area have unionized, saying they’re overworked and underpaid.
- Fast Food Chain (Tim Hortons) Locks Out And Replaces Workers Over 10 Cent Raise Demand (Labor 411) http://bit.ly/2NmvaRA
- New Report: Employers Are Charged with Labor Law Violations in Over 40% Of All Union Election Campaigns (Labor 411) http://bit.ly/30ccCZI
- Report: Unlawful (Economic Policy Institute) http://bit.ly/2FIeznl US employers are charged with violating federal law in 41.5% of all union election campaigns
- Opinion: How To Make Every Job A Good Union Job (BuzzFeed) http://bit.ly/2TXHDzm
Business, Entrepreneurship, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- Factory Farm Industry Quietly Lobbies California Officials to Criminalize Animal Rescue Activism (The Intercept) http://bit.ly/38lWrf8
- The end of Big Food (Politico) https://politi.co/2O0a5Nm
- Corporate “Cage-Free” Commitments Are Only Meaningful With Accountability (Truthout) http://bit.ly/30ggJDY Reducing the suffering of chickens can only happen if companies follow through on their promises.
- Chicken Watch https://chickenwatch.org/
- 2019 Rotten Eggs Awards (The Humane League) http://bit.ly/2QOGLuO
- (UK) Fast food giants still ‘failing’ on chicken welfare, says report (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2Rq9kix Pizza Hut, Burger King and Domino’s are among UK outlets rated ‘very poor’ in report from leading animal charity
- Report: The Pecking Order (World Animal Protection) http://bit.ly/37r8Eza
- Popeyes Signs On to Better Chicken Commitment (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/36jtj6G
- Coca-Cola Says It Won’t Break Free From Plastic Bottles (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2NTumUM
- Walmart takes a step toward owning the food chain (CNN) https://cnn.it/2RJ8BI8
- Walmart opens first beef packing facility in Georgia (RFDTV) http://bit.ly/2Th2LAd
- Almost one in four food products launched in UK in 2019 labeled vegan (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2RJXwGS
- After massive funding round, Memphis Meats plans to open a production plant for cell-cultured meat (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/37oDCrt
- Impossible Foods’ new pork is 0% pig. That’s a big deal. (Vox) http://bit.ly/2N6gIgu The plant-based Impossible Pork is here to replace the most eaten meat in the world.
- The world’s biggest food company is now making vegan sausage (CNN) https://cnn.it/2TBCjBy Nestle is adding vegan sausages to its lineup of imitation meat products, as the world’s largest food company moves to secure its position in the market for booming plant-based foods.
- Why McDonald’s has been slow to adopt meatless meat (Vox) http://bit.ly/37ZPuQD The next big challenge for the plant-based meat industry is scale.
- A surge of new plastic production is on the way (GreenBiz) http://bit.ly/38p6nV7
- Louisiana green light huge pollution causing plastics facility in ‘Cancer Alley’ (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/36fIgGW The $9.4bn facility, owned by Formosa Plastics, would consist of 14 separate plastic plants in St. James parish, known as Cancer Alley
- One of America’s oldest and largest milk producers files for bankruptcy (CNN) https://cnn.it/2T8i7ar Borden Dairy Co., one of America’s oldest and largest dairy companies, on Monday became the second major milk producer to file for bankruptcy in the last two months.
- The company says it’s making food from ‘thin air’… plus a dash of water and clean energy (CNN) https://cnn.it/2Gg9vXf
- McDonald’s Pays CEO $41 Million For Firing Him While Paying Workers A Poverty Wage (Labor 411) http://bit.ly/307s6OE
- Grubhub sale rumors highlight the state of struggling food-delivery industry (Vox) http://bit.ly/39ZQYwl Tough competition makes consolidation a really attractive idea.
- Egg Prices Suffer ‘Extreme Drop’ (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2sTxh8t
- More than 400 restaurants closed throughout San Francisco during 2019 (SF Gate) http://bit.ly/36pufGY
- How ‘All You Can Eat’ Restaurants Turn a Profit (Medium) http://bit.ly/36QAXqd Demystifying the business model that doesn’t seem to make sense
- This French Startup Wants to be the future of Foie Gras (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2FsUaSM Aviwell’s innovative method fattens ducks’ livers without force feeding them.
- Transforming a Hawaiian Community Through Farming (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2Qsix9B Crops aren’t the only things growing at MA’O Organic Farms.
- Can Mission-Driven Food Companies Scale Up Without Selling Out? (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2t2QqFk A ground breaking new stewardship business model creates standards that prioritize purpose over profit.
- RSF-Purpose Initiative Responds to Demand for Mission-First Business Models (RSF Social Finance) http://bit.ly/30fem4d
- Report: State of Alternative Ownership in the US (RFS Social Finance) http://bit.ly/36NeKJR Emerging Trends in Steward-ownership and Alternative Financing
Government, Regulation, Policy & Farm Bill
- China moves to phase out single use plastics (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2v3TVvL Plastic bags to be banned in all major cities by the end of 2020, says state planner
- Stealing Small Amounts Of Food When In Desperate Need Is Not A Crime, Rules Italy’s Highest Court (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2TIza2V “A small theft because of hunter is in no way comparable to an act of delinquency, because the need to feed justifies the fact.”
- (European) Commission takes Denmark to court over fake feta cheese (Politico) https://politi.co/2RMwte8 When it comes to sheep’s cheese, Brussels want Copenhagen to stop pulling the wool over consumers’ eyes.
- Thailand wants to ban these three pesticides. The US government says no (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/38x933c The Trump administration is putting profits before people by pressuring the country not to ban harmful chemicals
- ‘This Will Be the Biggest Loss of Clean Water Protection the Country Has Ever Seen’: Trump Finalizes Clean Water Rule Replacement (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2Rk3iQC
- New Trump Rule Rolls Back Decades Of Clean Water Protections (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2RLr8nh The new water rule, finalized Thursday, will be “among this administration’s dirtiest, most dangerous deeds,” an environmental lawyer warned.
- Trump administration removes federal protections from streams, wetlands (ABC News) https://abcn.ws/2Gu3lTv The new rule will only protect areas connected to larger bodies of water.
- EPA’s New Water Rule a Mockery of Science and the Clean Water Act (Union of Concerned Scientists) http://bit.ly/36w0Iew
- USDA scientists are rethinking calorie counts. Good news: They’re lower than we thought (The New Food economy) http://bit.ly/2ufPygw
- A New Bill Aims to Fix Food Waste in Schools (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/3aEGMtg Rep. Chellie Pingree today introduced a new bill with bipartisan support that seeks to improve student nutrition and increase environmental education about food waste.
- The Trump Administration Is Getting Sued Over Its New Food Stamps Rule (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2FTQg5U The Legal Aid Society of DC describes it as “arbitrary and capricious.”
- California, 13 other states sue to stop Trump’s food stamp cuts (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2tw74NH
- Trump’s USDA weakens school nutrition – again (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2tOCNcW
- The Trump Administration’s Defense of Its School Lunch Overhaul Is a Big Nothingburger (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2Gfk7WF Sonny Perdue claims Obama-era reforms are causing food waste. His own agency’s research tells a different story.
- Trump Rolls Back Michelle Obama’s School Lunch Nutrition Rules (Bloomberg) https://bloom.bg/37emqoE
- Trump administration weakens Michelle Obama’s signature school lunch reforms on her birthday (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2GhCRoj
- Trump Administration Takes Steps to Fatten Up School Meals With Burgers and Fries (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/375Tjnz The Trump administration took steps Friday to cut down on healthful fruits and vegetables in school meals and allow more pizza, burgers and fries.
- Pasta is now a vegetable in American schools under Trump guidelines (Independent) http://bit.ly/2tF8Wnv
- The Trump administration chose meatpacking giants over farmers in USDA proposal, critics say (Politico) https://politi.co/2RsIxSF The latest proposal omits an Obama-era effort that would have made it easier for livestock farmers to win lawsuits against meat processors.
- New Meatpacker Rules Won’t Support or Protect Farmers (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2RgHKo8 As the meat industry continues to consolidate, groups representing ranchers and farmers ask when policymakers will stand up and level the playing field.
- New Report Details How EPA Is Promoting ‘Worst of the Worst Pesticides’ (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2Nidwyu From 2017 – 2018, the agency approved 69 new pesticide products containing an ingredient the EPA recognizes as a “known” or “likely” carcinogen.
- Report: Toxic Hangover (Center for Biological Diversity) http://bit.ly/2QKYi7h
- ‘A Recipe for Disaster’: Consumer Safety Groups Sue USDA Over Trump’s Effort to Privatize Inspections for Pork Industry (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2Rp5Hs7 “We’re suing the crap out of the USDA for… feeding us crap.”
- Trump’s loosening of pork inspection regulations fails to protect consumers from illness and death ne lawsuit claims (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/38jLNpe “Food safety is one of the most important protections in our country and gifting the slaughter industry self-regulation powers will mean pork eaters in this country will be facing higher threats of disease.”
- Naomi Earp, contentious had of civil rights at USDA, will step down after a year in office (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/30C9B4R
- Trump administration gives crooked Brazilian meatpacker (JBS SA) another taxpayer-funded bailout despite bipartisan outrage (NY Daily News) http://bit.ly/35Mtoj5
- Trump Serves Up Another Happy Meal For The Fast-Food Industry (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2Tolr10 A new regulation will make it harder for workers to sue big brands over wage claims.
- Farmers Got Billions From Taxpayers In 2019, And Hardly Anyone Objected (NPR) https://n.pr/35MmXMZ
- Jose Andres’ World Central Kitchen cooks up thousands of meals in Puerto Rico (wtop) http://bit.ly/2TjdVV5
Pollinators & Insects
- Bees Absolutely Love Cannabis & It Could Help Restore Their Populations (Educate Inspire Change) http://bit.ly/2G9tGX8
- Study: The Bee Community of Cannabis sativa and Corresponding Effects of Landscape Composition (Environmental Entomology) http://bit.ly/38nFtgj
- ‘Like sending bees to war’: the deadly truth behind your almond – milk obsession (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/39VLL8O
- Almond Milk Is Even More Evil Than You Thought (The Cut) http://bit.ly/2tO5oz2
- US agriculture employs nearly 3 million honeybee colonies every year. What do those pollinators cost our ecosystems? (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/30CaJW9 As we rely more heavily on managed native bees – largely for California’s $5.6 – billion almond crop – wild bees are increasing under threat.
- Monarch butterfly population critically low on California coast- again (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2RHMG4f Study finds 29,000 butterflies, compared with 4.5 million during the 1980s, as experts point to habitat destruction
- Billions of locusts swarm through Kenya – in pictures (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2NZ4VAW
Animals, Fish, Fresh Water & Marine Animals
- Ornithologists, Birdwatchers Uncover Staggering Magnitude of Bird Population Decline (The Cornell Daily Sun) http://bit.ly/2RTtGjg
- Cows Have Unique Moos That They Use To Express Their Feelings, Study Finds (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2twvW80
- Another Disease Outbreak Threatens US Pigs, But Big Ag Would Rather Talk About Bacon Prices (In These Times) http://bit.ly/2Tupc5a
- ‘Live animals are the largest source of infection’: dangers of the export trade (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2RfqoaR Transporting more livestock will increase transmission of diseases, including some that could also threaten humans
- The Chinese paddlefish, on of world’s largest fish, has gone extinct (National Geographic) https://on.natgeo.com/30HjRcl Native to China’s Yangtze River, these fish grew 23 feet in length, but haven’t been spotted since 2003.
- Trawler return to Pacific fishing area in rare environmental success story (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2RM1q1X With stocks rebounding, regulators have reopened a groundfish habitat off the west coast – with environmentalists’ support
- Okanagan Sockeye Salmon (Atlas Obscura) http://bit.ly/2mgw8nO Around British Columbia’s Osoyoos Lake, community efforts have revived the population of a fluorescent fish.
- Urgent new ‘roadmap to recover’ could reverse insect apocalypse (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/35HWekz Phasing out synthetic pesticides and fertilizers and aggressive emission reductions among series of solutions outlined by scientists
- The Playbook For Poisoning The Earth (The Intercept) http://bit.ly/2G94sbm
- Monsanto Guilty of Spraying Banned Pesticide on Maui Fields (Earth Island Journal) http://bit.ly/30UYswd Company to pay up $10.2 million in fines for the spraying and for illegally storing hazardous waste.
- Report: The Introduction of Thousands of Tonnes of Glyphosate in the food chain – An Evaluation of Glyphosate Tolerant Soybeans (PubMed) http://bit.ly/3a6Npo8
- Formulations of glyphosate – based weedkillers are toxic, tests show (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/38Guhfb Government scientists say danger lies with added ingredients in the products not glyphosate
GMOs, CRISPR, Cloning & Synthetic Biology
- GM salmon leaps another legal hurdle. Next up: Another legal hurdle (The an New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/365q8Qc
- New tool for rapidly analyzing CRISPR edit reveals frequent unintended edits (GMWatch) http://bit.ly/37f2mCs
- Understanding the diversity of genetic outcome from CRISPER-Cas Generated homology-directed repair (Nature) https://go.nature.com/30BMMOU
- Gene-Editing Unintentionally Adds Bovine DNA, Goat DNA, and Bacteria DNA, Mouse Researchers Find (Independent Science News) http://bit.ly/3aqVSm7
Food Science, Technology & Nanotechnology
- A 6,000-year-old fruit fly gave the world modern cheese and yogurts (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2QQPwn5
- ‘Cultured’ meat could create more problems than it solves (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/35q2Sff
- What’s made of legumes but sizzles on the barbie like beef? Australia’s new high-tech meat alternative (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2SZtCkq
Education & Training
- Colorado Cooking School Melds Culinary Craft With Local Farming (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2ZRZEQG