- Activist blacksmith teaches gun violence survivors to melt down guns and turn them into farm implements (boingboing) http://bit.ly/2YHbsXX
- Is The Movement To Eat Less Meat Actually Making A Difference? (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/333jjhO Americans are eating less meat and more plant-based foods these days. Here’s how it’s affecting the environment.
- Can Chefs Learn to Love Cooking Without Fire? (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/316IT3o A push to electrify buildings suggests the end is nigh for gas ranges.
- The secret History of Why Soda Companies Switched From Sugar to Hight-Fructose Corn Syrup (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2YmBiRG Nixon, Reagan, and a Midwestern Machiavelli all figure.
- Being Born on a Farm Could Be Key for a Strong Immune System (modern farm) http://bit.ly/31gMxrP The scoop is in the poop, according to a recent study.
- Your meat free burger might come with a coating of real meat juice (Eater) http://bit.ly/2Zw4WQE
- Impossible Burger investor bets big on bean free coffee (grist) http://bit.ly/2KBmN3D
- Report: Creating A Sustainable Food Future (World Resource Institute) http://bit.ly/2YRaGZc
- Iraq’s burning problem: the strange fires destroying crops an livelihoods (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2OZP0p8 Fires in northern Iraq have reduced a potentially bumper harvest to ashes. The government blames mischance – but is something more sinister afoot?
Farmers, Farming, Ranching, Herding, Fishing & Production
- The Bright Side of the Current Farm Crisis: An Opportunity For Change (In These Times) http://bit.ly/2Ywd6Mz
- Georgia farmers, rural communities caught in China Trade volleys (Atalanta Journal-Constitution) https://on-ajc.com/2OS5dMT
- Indiana Farmers Union Joins Fight Against Noxious 8,000-Hog Agribusiness Operation (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2HbY0RA The state’s Right to Farm laws protect massive agribusiness at the expense of the community and family farms, the lawsuit argues.
- This US heartland has been flooded for five months. Does anyone care? (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/31pNQVh About half a million acres of land in the rural Yazoo backwater area in Mississippi is underwater, a devastating blow for a poor region where agriculture is the economy’s lifeblood
- American farmer: Trump ‘took away all of our markets’ (Yahoo Finance) https://yhoo.it/2GFSR4i
- China is sourcing more of its farm goods from other countries, ant that’s a bad sign for the US (Business Insider) http://bit.ly/2T4vKVG
- Far, Discontent Spills Over as Ag Secretary Is Confronted in Minnesota (Bloomberg) https://bloom.bg/2OKX8tB
- Putting pigs in the shade: the radical farming system banking on trees (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2JY5c5J
- Imperfect science of intensive farming (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2yiLU4h … It was science that gave us DDT, thalidomide and lead in petrol; and science told us it would be find to give antibiotics prophylactically to intensively reared livestock…
- Inside The Tiny Country Where Robots Grow The Food (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2YkZHC1 The wave of machines taking over farms in the Netherlands has helped propel its rise to the world’s second-biggest good exporter after the U.S.
- California farmers are planning solar panels as water suppliers dry up (LA Times) https://lat.ms/2Yp0YNa
Land and Soil
- The Great Land Robbery (The Atlantic) http://bit.ly/2KxNjLq
- Black land was plundered for decades – this law can thwart more losses (The Hill) http://bit.ly/2YM5FB3
- Climate change’s deadliest effects are unfolding under the sea (grist) http://bit.ly/2Kfy4Wa
- World Must Protect Land To Avoid Climate Disaster, New UN Report Warns (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2MRuuEr Averting catastrophic warming requires rapid, global change to land use and food production, the assessment says.
- Drastic Changes to Food Production and Consumption Needed to Save Planet From Catastrophic Warming, IPCC Reveals (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2yGxfQA
- We must change food production to save the world, says leaked report (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2YJZzfw
- Report: Climate Change and Land (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) http://bit.ly/31o9Dg7 An IPCC special report on climate change, desertification, land degradation, sustainable land management, food security, and greenhouse gas fluxes in terrestrial ecosystems
- Tree-damaging pests pose ‘devastating’ threat to 40% of US forests (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/33EaCdR About 450 overseas pests have been introduced to US forests, a climate crisis resource, due to international trade and travel
- A Time of Reckoning in the Central Valley (Bay Nature) http://bit.ly/31jPE26 Climate change is upending agriculture and land use in California’s Central Valley
Plants, Seeds & Cultivars
- Gorgeous Portraits of America’s Wild (and Surprisingly Delicious) Edible Plants (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2z6cSMR Photographer Jimmy Fike spent 12 years chronicling and feasting upon 140 varieties.
- We Ignore Thousands of Threatened Plant Species at Our Own Peril (Truthout) http://bit.ly/2YPc5iF More than 20 percent of the world’s known plant species are threatened with extinction.
- Devastating Banana Fungus Arrives in Colombia, Threatening The Fruit’s Future (NPR) https://n.pr/2TDaAOU
- The world faces a dwindling supply of this crucial resource need to grow food (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2YNQfw0 Phosphate…
Water & Our Oceans
- ‘Biggest Crisis No One Is Talking About’: Quarter of Humanity Faces ‘Extremely High Water Stress’ Intensified by Climate Emergency (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/33ken8n
- 17 Countries, Home to One-Quarter of the World’s Population, Face Extremely High Water Stress (World Resource Institute) http://bit.ly/30gOtQE
- Bottled water distributions begin as lead water poisoning crisis erupts in Newark, New Jersey (World Socialist Web Site) http://bit.ly/2Kz7Xuv
- 9 Foods That Are Making the Drought Even Worse (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2yLJVWB It takes more than 1,500 gallons of water to make a chocolate bar…
- Massive toxic algae blooms predicted in Lake Erie and Gulf of Mexico (grist) http://bit.ly/2KlRYhY
- Lake Erie turning green as toxic algae bloom expands (Michigan Live) http://bit.ly/2Oy594W
- Severe Algae Bloom in Lake Pontchartrain and Mississippi Coast (ABC News) http://bit.ly/2KxLMos
- Pennsylvania is Discharging Radioactive Fracking Waste Into Rivers As Landfill Leachate, Impacting the Chesapeake Bay & Ohio River Watersheds (Public Herald) http://bit.ly/31mCEZB
- ‘It’s Raining Plastic’: Researchers Find Microscopic Fiber in Colorado Rain Samples (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2T5zS81
- Beavers on the coast are helping salmon bounce back. Here’s How. (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/2OYhAaj The arrival of beaver dams in the Pacific Northwest’s Elwha River delta may surprising benefits.
- New Mapping Reveals Lost West Coast Estuary Habitat (Science Times) http://bit.ly/2YTmUR1
Food Culture & History
- 100 Years Ago, Farmers and Socialists Established the Country’s First Modern Public Bank (In These Times) http://bit.ly/2ZttAld
- Don’t trash the best part of the melon (Salon) http://bit.ly/31FVquZ When you throw out your honeydew and cantaloupe seeds, you’re missing the best part
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity, Malnutrition & Nutrition
- North Korea Cuts Food Rations to Just 11 Ounces Per Day (Global Citizen) http://bit.ly/2KbzTEQ
- Huge New Survey Finds That Sugary Soda Taxes Work (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2Ozsx1O
- Study: Impact of sugar-sweetened beverage taxes on purchases and dietary intake: Systematic review and meta-analysis (World Obesity) http://bit.ly/31dpwWn
- If We All Ate Enough Fruits and Vegetables, There’d Be Big Shortages (NPR) https://n.pr/2N7eoqx
Gleaning, Foraging, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- 7 Ways to Stop Wasting Food, Save Money and Save the Planet (Global Citizen) http://bit.ly/2GIuBOI Around a third of food is wasted globally.
- We’re leaving so much food on farms to just in the fields (Fast Company) http://bit.ly/2ypU8aX Most of the reports you hear about food waste don’t even include the amount that’s left behind on farms, but new research shows it’s a lot.
- Research: On-farm food loss in northern and central California: Results of field survey measurements (Resources, Conservation and Recycling) http://bit.ly/2YAuFpO
- Igloo Says Goodbye to Styrofoam Coolers, Releases Biodegradable Update (Dieline) http://bit.ly/2MEhr9w
- What Grocery Stores Won’t Tell You About Plastic (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2OUwcrn Huge companies like Walmart could slash single-use plastics – if they really wanted to.
- The bowls at Chipotle and Sweetgreen are supposed to be compostable. They contain cancer-linked “forever chemicals.” (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/31GRt9j Testing by The New Food Economy reveals an industry secret: All fiber bowls contain PFAS, a troubling class of chemicals with no known half-life, even when they’re certified compostable. It gets worse from there.
- Oopsie, this popular ‘compostable’ bowl actually lasts forever (grist) http://bit.ly/2zdG7Od
Healthy Food & Food Safety
- New York City Is Giving Out Prescriptions For Free Fruits And Vegetables (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2N37vGH For people with low access to healthy food and high blood pressure, it’s free money for groceries.
- The Best Probiotics (The Atlantic) http://bit.ly/31pqHCj An apple contains about 100 million bacteria – a more diverse range than any dietary supplement.
- An Apple a Day: Which Bacteria Do We Eat With Organic and Conventional Apples? (Frontiers In Microbiology) http://bit.ly/33o7x1m
- Rising emissions are robbing us of nutrients (grist) http://bit.ly/2Kg4BfL
- Leafy Greens With Listeria Sold at Major Supermarkets (Consumer Reports) http://bit.ly/2LVarp7 Consumer Reports found the bacteria in prewashed and unbagged products. Here’s how to stay safe when eating greens.
- Dole Recalls Spinach Over Salmonella Concerns (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/31F30WO
- Scientists say many UTIs are caused by E. coli in food – when will the government believe them? (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/31GW5MQ And why are we allowing contaminated foods into consumer food system?
Food Fraud, Scandals, Weird & Funny
- Seafood company president pleads guilty to mislabeling millions of dollars worth of crab meat (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2Mjn39H
- Secrets and Lies in the School Cafeteria (The Atlantic) http://bit.ly/31JGuMC
- People Keep Stealing Industrial Hemp, Which Will Not Get Them High (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/31cEKLg They’re in for a major disappointment if they try to smoke it.
- Racoon Caught Inside High School Vending Machine, Lurking Among Snacks (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2YPlh6R The little guy was freed from the machine after the snack caper gone wrong.
Children & School Food
- Weed Killer Found In Kids At Higher Levels Than Parents (CBS Sacramento) https://cbsloc.al/2yZhBQC
- Exploring Farm to Head Start Across Minnesota: Lessons from IATP’s Farm to Head Start (Institute for Agriculture & Trade Policy) http://bit.ly/2PgdGdl
- Why does participation in the federal summer meal program keep dropping? (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2Ywx4G0 Only one in seven kids eligible for free summer lunch actually gets one, a new report finds.
- Report: Hunger Doesn’t Take a Vacation: Summer Nutrition Status Report 2019 (Food Research & Action Center) http://bit.ly/2K799E1
- 500,000 Children Could Loose Free School Lunch Under Trump Administration’s SNAP Plan (Eater) http://bit.ly/33jbyV4 The Department of Agriculture conveniently left out its own estimated impact on schoolchildren in its formal proposal to overhaul food stamps
Labor, Unions & Coops
- Nestle admits slavery in Thailand while fighting child labor lawsuit in Ivory Coast (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/31HJc58 The company has won plaudits for its admission of forced labor in the Thai seafood industry but much of the supply chain remains hidden.
- The restaurant industry is turning to prisons to find workers (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2OiRnTA A new $4.5 million grant to the National Restaurant Association will go toward training inmates on front-of-house and kitchen skills.
- Why It’s Immigrants Who Pack Your Meat (The Atlantic) http://bit.ly/2KRA3Ag What Trump has called an “invasion” was actually a recruitment drive.
- Fair Trade Helps Farmers, But Not Their Hired Workers (NPR) https://n.pr/31HCxYG
- ‘On the Clock’ is a horrifying look at low-wage work in America (Houston Chronicle) http://bit.ly/2T4wxGw
- The restaurant industry has a mental health crisis (The Outline) http://bit.ly/2KZTFCr Servers, line cooks, and dishwashers all over America are struggling to find help in an industry that often exacerbates the problem.
- US fast-food workers demand better pay amid growing violence (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/31gMFHv
- Mass ICE Raids in Mississippi After Workers Fought For Better Conditions Leave Kids Without Parents (Democracy Now) http://bit.ly/2Z6JqkH
- ICE raids seven Mississippi chicken plants, in the largest single state action in agency history (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2z2zLkv
- “We Had a Future We Built Here” (Slate) http://bit.ly/2TBrNYQ The ICE raids devastated the immigrant community in Morton, Mississippi. Then came a mass firing.
- Mississippi ICE raids hit food processing plants; 680 workers arrested (MSN) http://bit.ly/2YuEdYg
- Here’s why the aftermath of ICE raid is devastating – and not just for immigrants (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/30bW1V0
- 58 arrested and fined outside American Airlines HQ in catering workers protest (Dallas News) http://bit.ly/2Mjpb1k
Business, Entrepreneurship, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- Australia’s First Rescued-Food Supermarket Opens (Broadsheet) http://bit.ly/30dyxyZ Base on OzHarvest’s “take what you need, give if you can” model.
- Is the US chicken industry cheating its farmers? (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/31QL3EM Leaked documents reveal remarkable power US poultry industry holds over farmers struggling to stay afloat on thin margins
- Following weeks of controversy, GrubHub announces restaurant friendly reforms (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2Z7A2RD The company says it will set up a system to transfer web domains to restaurant owners, and will also improve the policy for its controversial phone charges.
- Why it’s harder than ever to run a restaurant in Los Angeles (LA Times) https://lat.ms/2z4CU3o
- The Blue Bell ice cream Listeria outbreak and its fallout (Food Safety News) http://bit.ly/2GGy5Bo
- Savannah leads in shark fin exports (Savannah Now) http://bit.ly/2yYLcJR
- Meatpacking giant Tyson wants fewer government inspectors. The USDA is listening (MSN) http://bit.ly/2KM7K69 Tyson, one of the country’s largest meatpakers, is petitioning the Trump administration to reduce the number of government inspectors at a Kansas beef plant – a proposal that has raised alarms among some consumer and food safety advocates, who fear the changes could jeopardize public health.
- Tyson want fewer government inspectors in one of its beef plants. Food safety advocates are raising alarms. (NBC News) https://nbcnews.to/2YKYedk Consumer advocates warn that the changes could threaten food safety by keeping red flags out of the sight of expert inspectors.
- The Cranberry Caucus is Insanely Powerful (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2Myml7N
- Impossible Foods, Impossible Claims (Medium) http://bit.ly/2Ykwyf2 The company has courted ethical foodies, but how sustainable is this meat alternative?
- Lex In Depth: Bayer’s €50 bn blunder (Financial Times) https://on.ft.com/2YQD0dY
- An Inside Look At How Monsanto, PR Firm And A Reporter Giver Readers A Warped View Of Science (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/303kgo7 Dogged for years by bad press, Monsanto hit reboot with Ketchum.
- Revealed: how Monsanto “intelligence center’ targeted journalists and activists (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2KRQjRU Internal documents show how the company worked to discredit critics and investigated singer Neil Young
- Her farmer’s mission: Empowering people with disabilities (grist) http://bit.ly/2H7cTow
- Now Earning 278 Times More Than Average Worker, New Study Shows CEO Pay Has Grown More Than 1,000% Since 1978 (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2KM4V53 “Corporate greed is eviscerating the working class.”
- Report: CEO compensation has grown 940% since 1978 (Economic Policy Institute) http://bit.ly/2YLIKpz Typical worker compensation has risen only 12% during that time
Government, Regulation, Policy & Farm Bill
- European Regulators Praised for Declaring There Is ‘No Safe Exposure Level’ for Pesticide Tied to Brain Damage in Children (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2YoKy7w Advocates celebrating the announcement noted that, by contrast, “the Trump administration is kowtowing to chemical agribusiness.”
- Science division of White House office left empty as last staffers depart (CBS New) https://cbsn.ws/2H9Uffx
- Trump’s Policies Are Putting Our Food Supply at Risk (Truthout) http://bit.ly/31ASyjh
- The Climate Crisis Is ‘a Perfect Storm’ Headed for the World’s Food Supply (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/31ogXs0
- America’s Farmers, Reeling From Floods, Face a New Problem: No Water (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2MKNXXr The breach of an irrigation canal left more than 100,000 acres of farmland in Nebraska and Wyoming without water at a critical point in the growing cycle.
- Bipartisan bill on food expiration labels could cut many tons of food waste (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/33B6MSX
- Midwest farmers going broke at record rates thanks to Trump’s trade war (Salon) http://bit.ly/31G82T4 Bankruptcies have doubled in the biggest farm states, with falling prices and the trade war largely to blame
- Farmers Reel After Sonny Perdue Mocks Them As ‘Whiners’ Amid Trade War Bankruptcies (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2KIA2hW
- Minnesota farmer tears up while telling CNN how Trump’s ‘very scary’ trade war has harmed her family (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2KzwtLY
- Nearly 100 percent of Trump funds designed to help farmers went to white farmers (grist) http://bit.ly/2LVLEkN
- The Golfer In Chief Is Also the Goatherd In Chief, Saving Him Tens of Thousands (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2ZaJpMl Trump owns eight goats and farms 113 acres of hay at his New Jersey golf resort, slashing his property tax bill by some $88,000 a year.
- Top Scientist Quits USDA, Says Trump Admin Tried to Bury Study Linking Climate and Nutrition (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2GUqkbe
- USDA’s relocation plan may have broken the law (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2OWFoeJ
- EPA moves to block California’s Roundup cancer warning (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/31GQSo5
- Trump administration says it won’t approve Roundup cancer-warning labels (CBS News) https://cbsn.ws/2OUBXFv
- Visa Program Leave Cultural Exchange Workers Vulnerable to Exploitation (Capital and Main) http://bit.ly/2YPuBYh Participants in the US Summer Work Travel program have been victims of wage theft, harassment and even human trafficking.
- With Ridiculous Timing, USDA Suspends Its Honey Bee Monitoring Program (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2LTUkbp
- EPA Wants to triple level of rocket fuel chemical allowed in drinking water (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/2YCFQT5
- Vintage EPA photos reveal what US water ways looked like before pollution was regulated (Business Insider) http://bit.ly/2YPZlbF
- Trump reverses water bottle ban in national parks (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2yMaVoJ
- Biotechnology Oversight Gest and Early Make-Over by Trump’s White House and USDA: Part 1 – The Executive Order (NC State University) http://bit.ly/2yYKhsT
- Biotechnology Oversight an Early Make Over by Trump’s White House and USDA: Part 2 – The USDA-APHIS Rule (NC State University) http://bit.ly/2N6sdpc
- USDA to biotech: Call your own compliance (Institute For Agriculture and Trade Policy) http://bit.ly/2OWcPhC
- Rep. Ilham Omar Introduces Zero Waste Act as Part of Green New Deal (Democracy Now) http://bit.ly/2ZzgsLd
- Impossible Foods Nabs FDA Approval to Sell in Grocery stores in September (Eater) http://bit.ly/2GXyL5J
- Tony Evers order new farm rules to limit nitrate pollution in drinking water (Kenosha News) http://bit.ly/2OD3meM
- Trump defends a pesticide linked to developmental disorders. California will ban it (LA Times) https://lat.ms/2H8nwqR
- California Bill to Ban Oil Drilling in Marine Protected Area Fales (Truthout) http://bit.ly/2MitTvX
- Minneapolis becomes the first major American city to ban new drive-through windows (The New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2YX1bb2 Citing the climate benefits of taking cars off the road, the city council says no new facilities can be built.
- New York City Is Giving Out Prescriptions For Free Fruits And Vegetables (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2N37vGH For people with lower access to healthy food and high blood pressure, it’s free money for groceries.
Pollinators & Insects
- Morgan Freeman Converted His 124-Acre Ranch Into A Giant Honeybee Sanctuary To Save The Bees (Forbes) http://bit.ly/2Zwom80
Animals, Fish & Sea Animals
- Swine Fever Is Killing Vast Numbers Of Pigs In China (NPR) https://n.pr/2KXCHUZ
GMOs, CRISPR, Cloning & Synthetic Biology
- FDA finds a surprise in gene-edited cattle: antibiotic resistant, non-bovine DNA (New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2KNDI23
- Dairy Ice Cream, No Cow Needed: Egg And Milk Proteins Are Made Without Animals (NPR) https://n.pr/31GbE7i
- Insect ‘apocalypse’ in US driven by 50x increase in toxic pesticides (National Geographic) https://on.natgeo.com/2KyT3n1 Bees, butterflies, and other insects are under attack by the very plants they feed on as US agriculture continues to use chemicals known to kill.
- A New Study Reveals Just How a Bee’s World Has Become (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2TBU2ac Here’s what happened when farmers started using a new class of insecticides.
- ‘Alarming’ Explosion of Toxic Pesticide Use Causing Insect Apocalypse in United States: Study (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2YvKdjt “Insect abundance has declined 45 percent. This is a global crisis – we must ban neonics to save the bees!
- Toxic Pesticides Are Driving Insect ‘Apocalypse’ in the US, Study Warns (Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/2yJDLWS
- An assessment of acute insecticide toxicity loading (AITL) of chemical pesticides used on agricultural land in the United States (PLOS One) http://bit.ly/2OKKpXU
- ‘Catastrophe’ as France’s bird population collapses due to pesticides (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2KlsYZw
- Glyphosate Should Be Phased Out Worldwide. Devastating Health Impacts (Global Research) http://bit.ly/2OMc7n7
- Corporations can legally put carcinogens in our food without warning labels. Here’s why (Salon) http://bit.ly/2Tjn2Dh
- After Poisoning Downs 24 Students In Port Dickson, Malaysia: PANAP Calls For Pesticide-Free Buffer Zones Around Schools (Pesticide Action Network Asia Pacific) http://bit.ly/2K5k6pH
- US Annually Uses 388 Million Pounds of Potentially Fatal Pesticides Banned in the EU, China and Brazil (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2ysdEDO
Education & Training
- The (Mis)education of America’s Culinary Schools (Eater) http://bit.ly/2KmBt5t
- UK Charity’s Prison Restaurant Programme Does Reduce Reoffending (Eater) http://bit.ly/333P22l The Clink operates restaurants in four UK prisons