- Feeding the World Without Destroying It (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2sw18Al
- You Can Now Be Fined and Jailed for Calling This “Meat” (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2QohBQu “No none who gets a veggie burger and bites into it is surprised when it’s not slaughtered animal meat.”
- Build a $300 Underground Greenhouse for Year-round Fresh Food (Building Homes and Living) https://bit.ly/2Ssr7DP
- For-Profit Chain (Le Cordon Bleu culinary schools) Cancels $494 Million in Student Debt to End State Investigations (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2Tt7I5U
- Half of people who think they have a food allergy do not – study (The Guardian) https://bit.ly/2scTVoA
- Study: Prevalence and Severity of Food Allergies Among US Adults (JAMA Network) https://bit.ly/2s9Ezkq
- Seth Holmes Discusses Migrant Workers, the US agricultural system, and Structural Inequality Exacerbated “through metaphors of ethnic difference” (Haas Institute for Fair and Inclusive Society) https://bit.ly/2AvYBKM
- Working Paper: Power, Food and Agriculture: Implications for Farmers, Consumers and Communities (University of Missouri) https://bit.ly/2sciaTC
- Why Is Palm Oil Cultivation Replacing Subsistence Farming Guatemala? (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2M1rlzn
- 4 Killed And Dozens Injured After Gas Explosion Rocks Bakery In Paris (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2smyZeL
Farmers, Farming, Ranching, Herding, Fishing & Production
- Farmers at Gaza’s Edge Try to Make Ends Meet Between Economic Squeeze and Israeli Sniper Fire (The Intercept) https://bit.ly/2EThqKR
- Iowa soybean farmers on shutdown: “it’s not worth putting up the wall to put us in this situation” (CBS News) https://cbsn.ws/2RIi1pE
- Millet anyone? Facing soil crisis, US farmers look beyond corn and soybeans (The Christian Science Monitor) https://bit.ly/2VwCRaC
- Navajo Beef Brings Traditional Practices and Modern Business to Ranching (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2Vpg9RI
- Female Ranchers Are Reclaiming the American West (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2FqKidL
Land and Soil
- To Feed the World Sustainably, Repair the Soil (Scientific American) https://bit.ly/2rYfnxm
- Climate change takes toll on French oyster farmers (Raw Story) https://bit.ly/2ApxvET
- Black truffles are in trouble (Popular Science) https://bit.ly/2TFcE82 Climate change is threatening to muffle the truffle shuffle.
- Oceans Heating Up 40 Percent Faster Than Thought, 2018 Expected To See Record Temperatures, Scientists Warn (Newsweek) https://bit.ly/2smsDMt
Plants, Seeds & Cultivars
- Stuffed or Starved? Evolutionary Plant Breeding Might Have the Answer (Independent Science News) https://bit.ly/2HTvD8z
- Plants Can Hear Animals Using Their Flowers (The Atlantic) https://bit.ly/2Ci2tyU And they react to the buzzing of pollinators by sweetening their nectar.
- The race to re-learn hemp farming (Salon) https://bit.ly/2FqawOq Researchers have a lot to learn about the previously-banned crop before it flourishes on American farms
- Global Seed Industry Changes Since 2013 (Philip H. Howard) https://bit.ly/2C6sEbE
Water & Our Oceans
- 2018: The year of Day Zero and the mega-drought (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2EW338I
- It was ‘Land of the Free.’ Then the water disappeared (E&E) https://bit.ly/2FkRMzL
- The Costly, Complicated Process of Cleaning Up a Toxic River (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2SNi0Oj In eastern Washington, a push to clean PCBs from the Spokane River faces a dirty legacy and global pollution problem.
- Like Fruit, Vegetables, and Almonds? Scientists Have Bad News (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2F1y7UA A new study finds that the main source of water for our fresh produce could dry up within our lifetimes.
- Study: The Change Character of the California Sierra Nevada as a Natural Reservoir (AGU100) https://bit.ly/2AsUwqr
- Survey Finds Almost Half Of Private wells Tested In Southwest Wisconsin Are Contaminated (Wisconsin Public Radio) https://bit.ly/2GWMRXk Local official say more data is needed to understand source of harmful bacteria, nitrates
- Six barges carrying coal have sunk into the Ohio River (wave3 News) https://bit.ly/2RrAWVw
- The World’s Largest Ocean Cleanup Has Officially Begun (Forbes) https://bit.ly/2SyKMC5
Food Culture & History
- How Enslaved Chefs Helped Shape American Cuisine (Smithsonian Magazine) https://bit.ly/2QY5fDN
- The Life-Giving Properties of One of the World’s Oldest Cheeses (Gastro Obscura) https://bit.ly/2C0JA3A In Xinjiang, the living process dairy the way 4,000 year old mummies did.
- Inside the Restaurants That Fed the Civil Rights Movement (Munchies) https://bit.ly/2FaHm4z
- Why an English Museum Has a Collection of Magic Potatoes (Gastro Obscura) https://bit.ly/2scAkVj Touch of the rheumatiz? Try carrying around a purloined spud.
- A Living Fossil From the Deep Sea Was Discovered With Trash Crammed in its Stomach (The Inertia) https://bit.ly/2Ff3Pym
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity, Malnutrition & Nutrition
- Millions of College Students Are Going Hungry (The Atlantic) https://bit.ly/2TC62ak A new government report highlights just how pervasive the problem is.
- Food Pantries Help Federal Workers, Coast Guard Amid Shutdown (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2QIR8wU Furloughed and unpaid government employees are struggling to buy necessities amid the weeks long government shutdown.
- Chicago: Food pantry offering free groceries to furloughed government workers (Chicago Sun Times) https://bit.ly/2TLPUD0
- Canada’s New 2019 Food Guide Cuts Out Milk And Cheese Almost Entirely (Narcity) https://bit.ly/2VIgGyf Canada’s national food guide indicates that dairy is cut out almost entirely.
- Orange juice may get squeezed out of Canada’s revised food guide (CBC) https://bit.ly/2Hn5zrt
- The Best Fast Food Salads, According To Nutritionists (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2sh5mf3
- Blow to low carb diet as landmark study finds high fiber cuts heart disease risk (The Guardian) https://bit.ly/2HfAxlg Review commissioned by WHO says fiber in ‘good’ carbohydrates such as wholegrain bread and oats has protective effect
Gleaning, Foraging, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Does Your Box of “Ugly” Produce Really Help the Planet? Or Hurt it? (The New Republic) https://bit.ly/2QGf5VX
- Dumping Rejected Food Shipments into Landfills, Truckers Are Donating Them to Local Charities (Good News Network) https://bit.ly/2AFUifS
- 300,000+ Plastic Bottles Recycled in ‘Reverse Vending Machines’ Test Run in UK (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2Tv9mnp
- We Live In A World Full Of Plastic, And People Are Sick Of It. (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2RGrKN9
- Plastic free shopping: 59 of the UK’s best zero waste stores (Pebble Magazine) https://bit.ly/2wzGnGl
- 5 everyday products contaminated with plastic (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2Awlxtb It’s high time that corporations and governments step up to stem the tide of plastic, taking action to eliminate all but the most essential single-use plastic items.
Healthy Food & Food Safety
- Study: Accumulation of Heavy Metals in People on a Gluten-Free Diet. (PubMed) https://bit.ly/2Fvcn5p
- Lettuce Recalls: The Truth About Why They Keep Happening (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2VHLW08
- How a 3.5 mile long irrigation canal used by 23 farms caused the E. coli outbreak linked to romaine (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2Ay09DV FDA offers its first assessment of what happened in Yuma, Arizona.
- The biggest food recall of 2018 is one you still haven’t heard about (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2s838OX
- E. coli outbreak tied to Santa Barbara County; Monterey, San Benito counties not ruled out (The Californian) https://bit.ly/2RjflPy
Food Fraud, Scandals, Weird & Funny
- Alabama sheriff personally kept $1.5 million that was supposed to feed ICE detainees (The Week) https://bit.ly/2LFr3hu
- After A Run Of Tainted Food Scandals, Women In Japan Took Control Of The System (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2VDlViz
- Woman Catches A ‘River Monster’ And Has The Footage To Prove It (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2GU3H95
Children & School Food
- Federally funded school lunches are about to get a lot less healthy (Vox) https://bit.ly/2FrgOMK By relaxing rules for school lunches, the Trump administration is doing the dairy industry a big favor at the expense of children’s health.
- What the USDA’s New Nutrition Rules Mean for the 30 Million Children Eating School Lunches (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2Rf9GKI We talked to school lunch expert Bettina Elias Siegel about what’s at stake.
- There’s a Toxic Weed Killer on the Menu in K-12 Schools Across the US (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2AyMFYN
Labor, Unions & Coops
- Minimum Wage Set to Increase in 20 States, Nearly 2 Dozen Cities, in January (Time) https://bit.ly/2BNKf8i
- States Lead the Way on Retirement Policy (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2M4Wt0R
- The government shutdown spotlights a bigger issue: 78% of US workers live paycheck to paycheck (cnbc) https://cnb.cx/2VGeqrc
- Workers Ran Their Own Strike and Beat Marriott (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2VHd4w8
- Photo Essay: Marriott Workers Celebrate Victory on the Picket Line (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2QBIVKU
- Hundreds of General Mills workers vote to join union (KCRG 9) https://bit.ly/2CdSsmp
- Why Co-ops and Community Farms Can’t Close the Racial Wealth Gap (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2M4RGN5
- The largest strike in history is happening in India right now (Morning Star) https://bit.ly/2CYXEMF
Pollinators & Insects
- Puerto Rico May Hold the Answer to Saving the Bees (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2F0zNOC The island’s special breed may help solve colony collapse disorder.
- California Monarch Butterfly Population Down 86 Percent in One year (KQED) https://bit.ly/2GNQLS3
Animals, Fish & Seafood
- Billions Of Male Chicks Are Slaughtered Every Year – This New Technology Could Prevent That (IFL Science) https://bit.ly/2QjA0O4
- Someone Bought This Dead Fish For $3 Million (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2SCNWVH The auctioned off Bluefin tuna weights 612 pounds.
- Florida’s Answer to Invasive Lionfish? If You Can’t beat ‘Em, Eat ‘Em (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2Az4Xc9
Business, Entrepreneurship, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- Supermarket Chains Ignored This Black Community, So Residents Opened a Co-Op (Munchies) https://bit.ly/2SFLfCQ The Renaissance Community Co-op is the first of its kind in the nation, opened after 20 years of failed attempts to woo chains to the neighborhood.
- New Archive Reveals How the Food Industry Mimics Big Tobacco to Suppress Science, Shape Public Opinion (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2TMTVHC
- McDonald’s Is Officially Banning Preservatives In Their Burgers At All Restaurants in Canada (narcity) https://bit.ly/2AHiTAS
- Craftwashing in the US Beer Industry (Philip H. Howard) https://bit.ly/2RwfE9b
- Vegan Beyond Meat Burger Launches at Carl’s Jr. Fast-Food Restaurants (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2R6Rh2n
- Palm Oil Sourcing Should Be Disclosed to Consumers, Sustainability Study Recommends (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2AvL4CV
- Why San Francisco Restaurants are Suffocating (Medium) https://bit.ly/2QFUpgI
- Shop Here, Not There: Science Says Reducing Inequality Is Almost That Simple (Yes!) https://bit.ly/2EYOnph New research shows that shuttling even 5 percent of consumer transactions t poorer neighborhoods can reduce income inequality by up to 80 percent.
- What Minimum-Wage Foes Got Wrong About Seattle (Bloomberg) https://bloom.bg/2F26TxT An initial study said the increase to $15 would cost workers jobs and hours. That didn’t happen.
- Minimum wage hikes in six cities: big impact on pay, none on jobs (UC Berkeley News) https://bit.ly/2RsujCf
- Study: The New Wave of Local Minimum Wage Policies: Evidence from Six Cities (UC Berkeley) https://bit.ly/2CIMTQD
- IKEA Just Released Free Plans For A Sustainable Garden That Can Feed A Neighborhood (True Activist) https://bit.ly/2F75chP
Government, Regulation, Policy & Farm Bill
- Belgium Bans Religious Slaughtering Practices, Drawing Praise and Protests (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2RoYBGX
- Hard-Pressed American Farmers Left Out In The Cold By New 11-Nation Trade Treaty (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2Ak3dU8 Aussie, Canadian farmers celebrate treaty Trump nixed, while US wheat producers fear Japan market collapse.
- Trump farm bailout money will go to Brazilian-owned meatpacking firm, USDA says (msn) https://bit.ly/2AD7YbC
- USDA Allows Animal Neglect and Abuse at Poultry Slaughter Plants (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2TOd0sY
- How Trump’s Shutdown Forks Over Everyone Who Eats Food (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2M3Rr4N Farmers, poor families, and inspectors are caught in the crosshairs.
- Food stamp funding extended amid shutdown, but only through February (CBS News) https://cbsn.ws/2sigLuS
- Billions in food stamp payments to come early because of shutdown (Politico) https://politi.co/2TNUot8
- Millions could face severe cuts to food stamps due to government shutdown (CBS News) https://cbsn.ws/2TtJCrJ
- Shutdown hits poor hardest: Food stamp office cut by 95 percent (Salon) https://bit.ly/2R0b8QO
- Millions Could Lose Food Assistance If Government Shutdown Continues (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2Rzk1QT
- How Farmers Are Impacted by the Federal Government Shutdown (Farm Aid) https://bit.ly/2GXThFE
- Judge Strikes Down Iowa ‘Ag Gag’ Law That Choked Undercover Animal Abuse Reporting (Talking Points Memo) https://bit.ly/2H7anAQ
- “Ag-gag laws” hide the cruelty of factory farms from the public. Courts are striking them down. (Vox) https://bit.ly/2D43Fry
- US Supreme Court rejects challenge to California foie gras ban (Reuters) https://reut.rs/2sf1Q4E
- Farm workers in California now eligible for overtime after 9.5 hours (KSBY6 Central Coast) https://bit.ly/2RmuNKN
- Denver’s New Sales Tax is the Frist in the Nation to Benefit Kids’ Health (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2RjG2TN
- Street vending is legal in Los Angeles after a decade of organizing (Waging Nonviolence) https://bit.ly/2Fi5AuP
- Plastic Straws Now Officially Banned In DC (WAMU American University Radio) https://bit.ly/2AxtMVR
- New York City Has Banned Plastic Foam Containers (Smithsonian Magazine) https://bit.ly/2Tuqp9u
GMOs, CRISPR, Cloning & Synthetic Biology
- Scientists Are Using CRISPR to Make Spicy Tomatoes (Gastro Obscura) https://bit.ly/2QJxelu
- US judge limits evidence in trial over Roundup Cancer claims (Reuters) https://reut.rs/2FarBLW
- State finds some Monterey County produce exceeded pesticide limits (The Californian) https://bit.ly/2QtYd4F