- Feeding the Whole City: Atlanta, Georgia (Politico) https://politi.co/2rw9Pd8 The young food workers of this bustling New South metropolis use food to achieve social equity.
- In Milwaukee’s poorest zip code, fruits and vegetables become powerful weapons for saving young boys (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) https://bit.ly/2UNnaLJ
- Is It Ethical for Nutrition Scientists to Accept Industry Money? (Undark) https://bit.ly/2LnlKTW
- ‘Our Food Systems Are Failing Us’: 100+ Academies Call for Overhaul of Food Production (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2QCxjvC
- More trouble for embattled farmers in the Midwest (Star Tribune) http://strib.mn/2QaR8KL Family operations are hurt by glut of some crops as well as trump’s tariffs.
- 127 countries are now working to ban single-use plastic (Fast Company) https://bit.ly/2zLUcmu Countries are making good progress on regulating plastic bags and bottles – but need to do some serious work to address the more invisible plastic particles in cleaning products and cosmetics.
- French Food Actually Sucks Now, Says Head of French Tourism Council (Munchies) https://bit.ly/2rqUgni French ambassador and tourism council head Philippe Faure says food in the provinces is “lamentable” and “not good.” How the mighty have fallen. I would agree, last time I was in France I found the food in restaurant, cafés and bistros in the Loire Valley were awful, good food could be found in expensive places, and the old style shops had good food…
- Mark Bittman: French Food Goes Down (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2E8qw5T
- How Atlanta Is Turning Ex-Cons Into Urban Farmers (Politico) https://politi.co/2SwzttP An ambitious activist is using the local food movement to help break the cycle of incarceration.
- Should Vegans Have the Same Protections as Religious People? A ‘Landmark’ Case Will Decide (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2E9Owpf In the UK, it is unlawful for an employer to fire and employee based on their religion or belief. By the same toke, is it ok for an employer to fire an employee if they are ethical vegans?
- We can’t vertically farm our way into a techno-utopia (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2LeZ0Fv
- Cuba’s Agrifood System in Transition (Elementa) https://bit.ly/2Gfiqv8
Farmers, Farming, Ranching, Herding, Fishing & Production
- Indiana group is suing USDA over the way it gives money farms with thousands of animals (IndyStar) https://bit.ly/2CazFty
- Clubroot threat hangs over Saskatchewan farmers (Western Producer) https://bit.ly/2CeRCH7
Land and Soil
- Here’s How America Uses Its Land (Bloomberg) https://bloom.bg/2FZcM05
- The Meat Heavy Menu At The UN’s Climate Conference Show Shocking Hypocrisy (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2PxqZkb
- Ravenous for Meat, China Faces a Climate Quandary (undark) https://bit.ly/2mWHn1X On the whole, the country consumes 28 percent of the world’s meat – twice as much as the United States. An that figure is only set to increase.
- As the Glaciers Melt, These Farmers Have A Plan To Save Their Vulnerable Land (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2QrtObM Herders in one of the most biodiverse place on earth are reviving ancient traditions to cope with climate change.
- Soil and Seaweed: Farming Our Way to a Climate Solution (Scientific American) https://bit.ly/2DUvnaZ We can sequester carbon and improve our nutrition through regenerative farming of land and sea
- Climate change is making soils saltier, forcing many farmers to find new livelihoods (The Conversation) https://bit.ly/2rjQlIw
- Not So Sweet: Climate Change Means Slow-Growing Sugar Maples, Study Finds (NPR) https://n.pr/2QGEti7
- Americans have planted so much corn that it’s changing the weather (grist) https://bit.ly/2Upo9lb
- Research: Twentieth Century Regional Climate Change During the Summer in the Central United States Attributed to Agricultural Intensification (AGU100) https://bit.ly/2Elwn8S
- Is US Agriculture Being Choked Out by Climate Change? (Growing Produce) https://bit.ly/2S157jc
- The future of food: droughts, wrecked crops, and empty plates (grist) https://bit.ly/2RIom0X
- Report: Oyster Restoration in the Gulf of Mexico (The Nature Conservancy) https://bit.ly/2rk4d5P
- Fisherman Sue Big Oil For Its Role In Climate Change (NPR) https://n.pr/2E6nqzF
Water & Our Oceans
- How to buy a water filter that actually filters out your local contaminants (Quartz) https://bit.ly/2zYSEWd
- It’s Official: Injection of Fracking Wastewater Caused Kansas’ Biggest Earthquake (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2RqaZCm
- This town is like thousands that are vulnerable to contaminated water, with no fix in sight (CNN) https://cnn.it/2UeOlyP
- Why Don’t Detroit Public Schools Have Safe Drinking Water? (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2Sp3goh
- Journalism Project Shines Light On Why So Many Lack Water Service In Central Appalachia (Daily Yonder) https://bit.ly/2PAJTqA
- Stirring the Waters: Investigating why many in Appalachia lack reliable, clean water (Lexington Herald Leader) https://bit.ly/2UJJKVE
- A New Lawsuit Blames the Trump Administration for Ruining Oysters (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2zNQ8SR By failing to document the effects of acidification in coastal waters
- Even corals deep down on the ocean floor can’t escape humanity’s impact (Salon) https://bit.ly/2QnIglm Climate change, industrial fishing, offshore drilling and deep sea mining are all threats to the ocean floor.
- What Ocean Miroplastics Are Really Made of (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2QwjKgV
Food Culture & History
- Is the egg toast? (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2LaS1xe
- Washing Dishes is a Really Great Stress Reliever, Science Says (Cooking Light) https://bit.ly/2Ejvtcb
- Study: Washing Dishes Wash the Dishes: Brief Instruction in and Informal Mindfulness Practice (Springer Link) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12671-014-0360-9
- The explosive dominance of soy over a century went unnoticed by most Americans – except for those growing it. (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2SCLttG
- Battling the Scourge of ‘Embalmed Milk’ (undark) https://bit.ly/2CdUPqH How an obscure Indiana public health official pioneered the campaign against tainted dairy products at the turn of the 20th century.
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity, Malnutrition & Nutrition
- There’s a Hunger Crisis in north Carolina (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2QUNrbK
- Report: Many North Carolinians continue to struggle to afford enough food, especially in households with children (NC Policy Watch) https://bit.ly/2CcVk48
- Living Homeless in California: The University of Hunger (Capital & Main) https://bit.ly/2PCkblh A January study found that 11 percent of students on the California State University’s 23-campuses reported being homeless during the past year. At Humboldt State nearly a fifth said they’d been homeless at one point during 2017.
- Kentucky congressman questions food stamps: ‘If healthcare is a right, is food as well?’ (Market Watch) https://on.mktw.net/2Stcksc
- The world’s most nutritious foods (BBC) https://bbc.in/2GtsIUu After analyzing more than 1,000 raw foods, researchers ranked the ingredients that provide the best balance of your daily nutritional requirements – and they found a few surprises.
Gleaning, Foraging, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Our Plastic Addiction Has Reached A New Crisis Level (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2UM4pIr
Healthy Food & Food Safety
- The United States has an Epidemic of Processed Food – and it’s Killing Us (Medium) https://bit.ly/2S288zO
- The US Appetite for Sugar Has Skyrocketed (The Atlantic) https://bit.ly/2RCsP5i Americans are eating too much of the sweet stuff, and a staggering portion of it is coming from drinks like soda.
- What Do Americans Think About Food Additives and GMOs? (Scientific American) https://bit.ly/2Qg4C81 About half think they’re unhealthy; the other half aren’t especially concerned
- Lettuce Recall Is a Wake Up Call for Food Safety (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2AKvwKX
- CDC list of the 22 Food Safety Investigations https://bit.ly/28UNeBA
- 12 Million Pounds Of Beef Now Under Recall Over Salmonella Risk (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2BQPoxM Nearly 250 people in 26 states have contracted salmonella poisoning, the USDA says.
- Chemicals on Our Food; When “Safe” May Not Really Be Safe (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2G5awVb
Food Fraud, Scandals, Weird & Funny
- Restaurant Owner Says Photos of Opossums Running Around the Kitchen Are No Bid Deal (Munchies) https://bit.ly/2Pp0Xzy My noodle & Bar’s owner acknowledged that there had been an opossum in his restaurant, but said that it was “like three months ago.”
- Why Are Arsonists Targeting Montreal Pizzerias? (Munchies) https://bit.ly/2QD127w Three recent Molotov cocktail attacks have local restaurant owners shaken.
- 60 pregnant goats stolen from Morgan Hill farm (Press Democrat) https://bit.ly/2E9xqYG
Training & Education
- 10 Amazing Restaurants That Hire People with Disabilities (MSN) https://bit.ly/2SObiHp
- New York Public Housing Is Home To City’s Newest Food Entrepreneurs (NPR) https://n.pr/2QBSgGK
- NYCHA Food Business Pathways (NYCEDC) https://bit.ly/2RLWEAt
Children & School Food
- Shelby County bus driver goes the extra mile after weather cancels breakfast (abc3340) https://bit.ly/2Em18d5
- Preschoolers Served Pine-Sol Instead Of Apple Juice In Snack Mix-Up (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2Ub8SEn
- Waste not, want not (grist) https://bit.ly/2SiMirA Schools waste $5 million a day in uneaten food. Here’s how Oakland is reinventing the cafeteria
- K-12 School Food Recovery Roadmap (BioCycle) https://bit.ly/2E6szrk
- Town hires debt collector to get families to pay for school lunches (Think Progress) https://bit.ly/2EiKv1Z School officials in Carnston, Rhode Island are getting aggressive in seeking payment from parents in arrears for their kids’ meals.
Labor, Unions & Coops
- More than half of Americans say they didn’t get any pay raise this year (Market Watch) https://on.mktw.net/2SQoPOz
- Amazon workers sent to hospital after robot accidentally unleashes bear spray (ABC News) https://abcn.ws/2KW9R6X
- Report: Amazon wants robots that can do the work of warehouse pickers (Fast Company) https://bit.ly/2RICffV
- Michigan Is the Latest Example of the Restaurant Lobby Subverting Democracy (Talk Poverty) https://bit.ly/2GaYU2L
Minimum wage increases are popular, but lawmakers keep overturning them.
- Marriott Hotel Strike Ends With San Francisco Workers Winning Better Pay (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2rkP0kN Thousands of workers reached an agreement with the nation’s largest hotel chain after a multi-city, non week strike for better pay and protections.
- 3rd Portland-area Burgerville votes to unionize (Oregon Live) https://bit.ly/2PAtIt3
- Amazon workers in New York just announced their plan to unionize (Vox) https://bit.ly/2Eh6NkO “We are not robots, we are human beings.”
- The Co-op That’s Keeping Community Money Out of Big Banks (Yes!) https://bit.ly/2L8h43Z
Pollinators & Insects
- At Least 1 Million Bees Found Dead in Cape Town (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2DXu2A1
- World’s First Honey Bee Vaccine Seeks to Save Dying Pollinators (Bloomberg) https://bloom.bg/2E4zT6L
- First Vaccine for Honey Bees Developed in Finland (Growing Produce) https://bit.ly/2S2ycuy
- ‘It’s a sad reality’: a troubling trend sees a 97% decline in monarch butterflies (The Guardian) https://bit.ly/2QOwDDi
- Butterfly sanctuary expected to be plowed over for Trump’s border wall (CBS News) https://cbsn.ws/2BXVhcq
- Most Diverse Butterfly Center in the US to be Bulldozed for Trump’s Border Wall (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2S3yd1r
Animals, Fish & Seafood
- Waterkeeper Alliance and EWG Hurricane Florence Flooded Poultry Operations Housing 1.8 Million Birds, Investigation Finds (Environmental Working Group) https://bit.ly/2Pg6acM
- Scary Map Shows Where Animal Poop Is Turning into Deadly Ammonia Pollution (Live Science) https://bit.ly/2B0sUIH
- Without drastic changes, Idaho’s wild steelhead are on a path to extinction (Idaho Statesman) https://bit.ly/2QE0nCZ
- Near-Extinct Vaquita Gets Another Lifeline from the Courts (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2rijMen
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- Talented black bakers taste sweet success in East Bay (San Francisco Chronicle) https://bit.ly/2PvMfqH
- McDonald’s to Reduce Antibiotics Use in Beef (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2zZLu47
- McDonald’s announces new antibiotic use reduction policy in beef, a first-of-its-kind (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2BifIPG
- Taco Bell is killing its dollar menu (Business Insider) https://read.bi/2Ey5UW3
- The Trouble With Tuna: ‘A Lot of Millennials Don’t Even Own Can Openers’ (The Wall Street Journal) https://on.wsj.com/2FWkXdB StarKist, Bumble Bee and Chicken of the Sea deal with Slumping market amid competition from fresher options.
- Tuan Fish Is Struggling Because ‘Millennials Don’t Even Own Can Openers’ (Food & Wine) https://bit.ly/2PkSVYJ
- PR company accused of using ‘tobacco lobbyist tactics’ to promote weedkiller linked to cancer (Independent) https://ind.pn/2QIclLT Roundup maker Monsanto reportedly funded campaign to defend chemical
- Cashier-less Whole Foods Near You? (Food & Wine) https://bit.ly/2DXKOz7
- I the field cannot feed the farmer, then burn the field (Monthly Review) https://bit.ly/2SqKGfu
- Farmers and Their Nation (Economic & Political Weekly) https://bit.ly/2SrJ5pw
- See How Well the GOP Tax Scam Is Creating Jobs? Walmart Announces Plans for 360 Robot Janitors (Common Dreams) https://bit.ly/2QyMGVL The company still faces calls to raise its minimum hourly pay, but machines don’t ask for a living wage
- Trade War Cost To Consumers, Companies And Nation (Financial Times) https://on.ft.com/2Uj3vCV
- Trade conflicts have cost Nebraska economy more than $1 billion, Farm Bureau says (Omaha World – Harold) https://bit.ly/2QF5tPd
- Dollar stores are feeding more Americans than Whole Foods, and it’s leading some communities into crisis (Business Insider) https://read.bi/2A29pQr
- Dollar Tree is one of the only chains that Amazon can’t beat – and it runs the most appalling store we’ve ever seen (Business Insider) https://read.bi/2M1PgOA
- The Hard Truths of Trying to ‘Save’ the Rural Economy (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2zYmVVq
- Report: 2018 Distressed Communities Index: From Great Recession to Great Reshuffling (Economic Innovation Group) https://bit.ly/2ElMbJz
- Report: Countering the geography of discontent: Strategies for left-behind places (Brookings Institute) https://brook.gs/2RSdfC4
- Saving the heartland: Place-based policies in 21st Century America (Brookings Institute) https://brook.gs/2Gl3AmN
Government, Regulation, Policy & Farm Bill
- The European Union Just Voted To Ban Single-Use Plastics By 2021 (Forbes) https://bit.ly/2G6wiru
- Norway to heavily restrict palm oils linked to deforestation (Independent) https://ind.pn/2G4KHEy
- Norway to Ban Deforestation-Linked Palm Oil Biofuels in Historic Vote (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2rFYKGC
- Australia – wide ban leads to ‘80 percent drop’ in plastic bag consumption (SBS News) https://bit.ly/2EiHwqW
- Australia Cuts 80% of Plastic Bag Use in 3 Short Months (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2Qzaysn
- Trump administration finalizes rollback of school lunch regulations championed by Michelle Obama (Yahoo! News) https://yhoo.it/2QGRs3z
- More Salt, Fewer Whole Grains: USDA Eases School Lunch Nutrition Rules (NPR) https://n.pr/2rqH1CV
- Low Income People Pay When Government Tech Contracts Sour (Talk Poverty) https://bit.ly/2L5MvMp
- Justice Department urges Supreme Court against hearing cage-free egg lawsuit (The New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2E0ES8z … Should the Supreme Court take the DOJ’s lead, it would effectively validate and uphold California’s first-of-its-kind legislation, which bans the sale of eggs laid by hens in confinement…
- EPA’s New Water Rule Will Gut The Clean Water Act (The Intercept) https://bit.ly/2UqHMsQ
- EPA’s Own Data Refutes Justification For Clean Water Act Rollback (The Intercept) https://bit.ly/2S04IgR
- Government Agencies Make Waves With New Definition for Waters of the United States (WOTUS) (Growing Produce) https://bit.ly/2S0LBU8
- The EPA’s new Dirty Water Rule risks millions of people’s drinking water supply (NRDC) https://on.nrdc.org/2RYbnIz
- Trump administration poised to strip protections from up to two-thirds of California streams and millions of acres nationwide (LA Times) https://lat.ms/2S3UYCy
- Clean Up 14-Year Oil Spill or Face $40K Daily Fine, Feds Tell Taylor Entergy (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2PTdkci
- Trump Administration Approves Harmful Seismic Blasting in Atlantic (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2SrI410
- Buried in Wisconsin Republican’s lame-duck legislation: Drug-testing requirement for food stamp applicants (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2Eo5npi
- Outgoing Michigan GOP Governor Signs Bills Gutting Minimum Wage Hike, Paid Sick Leave (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2Gk0ZK1
- In lame-duck push, Michigan Republicans vote to gut wage, paid leave laws (NBC News) https://nbcnews.to/2PkTBgk
- Indiana Group Joins Lawsuit Over CAFO Rule (WBOI) https://bit.ly/2UpXsfX
- Missouri voters said no to ‘right to work.’ Republican lawmakers want it anyway. (St. Louis Dispatch) https://bit.ly/2zNnBNj
- “Natural” chicken can’t be given antibiotics, or confined indoors, says California judge (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2QUuPsF That might sound obvious. But in the absence of strong regulations, a raft of lawsuits are trying to change the fact that “all-natural” can mean, well, almost anything.
- Contra Cost County (California) Votes To Ban Styrofoam Products (CBS SF Bay Area) https://cbsloc.al/2UEldkP
- Congress is poised to finally lift longstanding ban on industrial hemp (The Hill) https://bit.ly/2Pl9e7T
- Hemp May Soon Be Federally legal, But many Will Be Barred From Growing It (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2E8QN4a
- The Art of the Farm-Bill Deal (The Atlantic) https://bit.ly/2LfTlPC The $867 billion legislation doesn’t include stringent new work requirements for food-stamp recipients long sought by conservatives.
- A Boost for Farmers Who Aren’t Old and White (The Atlantic) https://bit.ly/2A0xebA The farm bill on Trump’s desk funds programs that help make farming more accessible
- The Farm Bill Ignores the Real Troubles of US Agriculture (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2UJM7aZ True farming reform means adjusting the system to support small and midsize producers and cultivating a more sustainable system of agriculture.
- The Farm Bill’s Winners And Losers (Forbes) https://bit.ly/2QFL5xu
- How Paul Ryan is selling his food stamp loss (Politico) https://politi.co/2BiBWku The compromise farm bill is stripped of every controversial proposal the House GOP wanted on food stamps.
- The Farm Bill Won’t Save Small Farmers (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2UynPQW
- Farm Bill Receives Mixed Response From Rural Advocates (Daily Yonder) https://bit.ly/2rBXsMU The farm bill passed – and in today’s Congress, that’s news. But advocates say the bill could have done much more to improve the position of small farms versus corporate interest. And in a light but direct rebuke of the Trump administration, Congress will require the Department of Agriculture to reinstate the position of Undersecretary of Rural Development.
GMOs, CRISPR, Cloning & Synthetic Biology
- GMO salmon undergoing another federal risk assessment (CBC News) https://bit.ly/2zKRjm5
- Big Tongues, and Extra Vertebrae: The Unintended Consequences of Animal gene Editing (The Wall Street Journal) https://on.wsj.com/2SSK5U5 Unintended consequences have included enlarged rabbit Tongues and extra pig vertebrae, as bioethicists warn of hubris
Food Science, Technology & Nanotechnology
- Slaughter-Free Lab Grown Steak Cast As Ethically Friendly Alternative (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2UOLQ6k
- Erin Brockovich: The weedkiller in our food is killing us (The Guardian) https://bit.ly/2QIUq7O
- A Killing Season (The New Republic) https://bit.ly/2PEjB6E Monsanto’s new herbicide was supposed to save US farmers from financial ruin. Instead, it upended the agriculture industry, pitting neighbor against neighbor in a struggle for survival.
Education & Training
- How Atlanta Is Turning Ex-Cons into Urban Farmers (Politico) https://politi.co/2SwzttP An ambitious young activist is using the local food movement to help break the cycle of incarceration.