- This Indian state has gone 100% organic (World Economic Forum) https://bit.ly/2RFffxE
- Alexandria Oasio-Cortez Learned Her Most Important Lessons from Restaurants (Bon Appétit) https://bit.ly/2AWnxvn
- ‘Farming saved my life.’ Veteran turns to the land for PTSD therapy and a new beginning. (The News and Observer) https://bit.ly/2zVYE1a
- Taquero Drives Out To Wildfire Evacuation Camp, Feeds Hundreds Left Homeless By Blaze (Latin Live) https://bit.ly/2TnWnEQ
- How A Ragtag Group Of Oregon Locals Took On The Biggest Chemical Companies In The World – And Won (The Intercept) https://bit.ly/2OelaM4
- Catch me if you can: How the paiche plague in Bolivia’s Amazon is making its way onto menus (Independent) https://ind.pn/2RVwHhw
- Agroforestry saves soil and boosts livelihoods in Tajikistan (Mongabay) https://bit.ly/2zOZ21y
- China Plows Ahead With Modern Farming as American Tariffs Drive Up crop Costs (Wall Street Journal) https://on.wsj.com/2qUnqdW The trade fight gives Beijing fresh incentive to beef up a sector dominated by small farms with low crop yields
- The Cold Truth About Where Canada’s Food Comes From (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2qVDbBn
Farmers, Farming, Ranching, Herding, Fishing & Production
- One French farmer commits suicide every two days, survey says (EurActiv) https://bit.ly/2PmDjIZ
- What’s Behind the Crippling Dairy Crisis? Family Farmers Speak Out. (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2Ddcfog In the Northeast, the dairy crisis is shuttering generations-old diaries. Can the crisis become a rallying political issue?
- Is the Second Farm Crisis Upon Us? (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2N1F1OH
- Corn harvest poses latest headache for farmers (Raw Story) https://bit.ly/2DL1VEW
- What’s the Big Problem With Paper Pots? (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2FvHyx8 An efficient Japanese potting system has come under minor fire in the past year. What’s the deal?
Land and Soil
- Rare microbes lead scientists to discover new branch on the tree of life (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) https://bit.ly/2Pzzj7Q Hemimastigotes are more different from all other living things than animals are from fungi
- Report: Hemimastigophora is a novel supra-kingdom lineage of eukaryotes (Nature) https://go.nature.com/2qPResj
- Natural Climate Solutions Could Cancel Out a Fifth of US Emissions, Study Finds (Inside Climate News) https://bit.ly/2qQhfHY Low-tech, time-tested forest, farm and land management techniques are effective, cheap and carry benefits well beyond tackling climate change.
- Crab Fishers Sue Fossil Fuel Industry Over Climate Change Damage (Inside Climate News) https://bit.ly/2PBnuy3 The lawsuit by the largest West Coast commercial fishing association seeks to hold 30 companies accountable for harming shellfish and livelihoods as the ocean warms.
- Claws out: crab fishermen sue 30 oil firms over climate change (The Guardian) https://bit.ly/2TlZXzg
- Adapting to climate change won’t save Louisiana’s Coast (NOLA.com) https://bit.ly/2qTuHLl
Plants, Seeds & Cultivars
- This Weird Shrub actually Shares Its Water With Crops (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2QW7kMv
- Dandelion Seeds Are Amazing (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2Fz6XWP
- The Last Tree Standing (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2DMYI7L For thousands of years, breadfruit grew in the Pacific Islands, where it was a staple in locals’ diets. It’s time to give it another look.
Food Culture & History
- Decolonizing Cuisine with Mak-‘amham (KCET) https://bit.ly/2KblG93 … two Ohlone chefs are revitalizing Ohlone language, food practices and adapting them for a modernist palate.
- Ever ordered a vegan meal? You will soon. This is why (World Economic Forum) https://bit.ly/2FeDPUO
- How a new approach to meat can help end hunger (World Economic Forum) https://bit.ly/2qzXQuI
- Young Women are Reviving Indigenous Food Traditions Online (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2PkBJXS A new generation of Native Americans is celebrating its food culture and promoting food health – with the help of social media and YouTube-friendly videos.
- Black Migrants: Photographs of California’s Forgotten agricultural Past (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2BcxDIS
- A Bronze Age tomb in Israel reveals the earliest known use of vanilla (Science News) https://bit.ly/2Q7ODYW Jugs that date to about 3,600 years ago hold traces of the aromatic substance
- Politics may kill Claude Moore Colonial Farm (MSN) https://bit.ly/2Fs1MYF
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity, Malnutrition & Nutrition
- This misinterpreted Bible verse is behind Republican efforts to deny food to poor people (Raw Story) https://bit.ly/2A2LKP8
- This Community is Addressing Food Insecurity, One Grocery Store at a Time (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2SKEDmX
- How Nutritious Is That Fish? To Find Out, Ask Its Relatives (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2Pw1wfR Eels and anchovies don’t look or act much alike. One is sinuous and shy, the other is a bright flash of silver in a school of thousands…
Gleaning, Foraging, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- France’s war on waste makes it the world’s most sustainable country (World Economic Forum) https://bit.ly/2ydEcc2
- The Biggest Source of Plastic Trash You’ve Never Heard of (ensia) https://bit.ly/2PGxKoU From acres of sheeting to miles of twine, farms use billions of pounds of plastic each year. What can we do to reduce the impact?
- Plastic Film Covering 12% of China’s Farmland Pollutes Oil (Bloomberg News) https://bloom.bg/2w4gQ4H
- The Problems With Bioplastics (Eastbay Express) https://bit.ly/2Qb1VUN People mistakenly try to recycle them, thereby contaminating the waste stream. Plus, they’re not really compostable.
- Bioplastics: Great green hope or false promise? (DW Akademie) https://bit.ly/2S4ukJs
Healthy Food & Food Safety
- Why taxing meat could save hundred of thousands of live every year (World Economic Forum) https://bit.ly/2PlbGA2
- A Meat Tax Could Get America To Ditch Bacon And Burgers (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2PGX9ht
- Study: Health-motivated taxes on red and processed meat: A modeling study on optimal tax levels and associated health impacts (PLOS One) https://bit.ly/2qzx4Cx
- Optimum “health tax” for meat calculated (University of Oxford) https://bit.ly/2FcA9Tz
- Denmark scraps world’s first fat tax (The Washington Post) https://wapo.st/2PNJDZl
- India is awash in palm oil, and health takes a hit (Food & Environmental Reporting Network) https://bit.ly/2B0pIyl From traditional snacks to fast food, the cheap oil is everywhere. Rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease – already high – are rising.
- Watch The Iceland Christmas Ad Which Will Never Be Shown After Authorities Banned It (LBC UK) https://bit.ly/2Pq8KlD
- Food Stamps For Soda: Time To End Billion-Dollar Subsidy For Sugary Drinks? (NPR) https://n.pr/2OEDTg3
Food Fraud, Scandals, Weird & Funny
- Massive seizure of fake pesticides which could spray the size of the UK (Euractiv) https://bit.ly/2RKYsJA
- Australian Police Arrest 50 Year Old Woman After Needles Found In Strawberries (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2PPzzz6 Police have said that the accused worked as a supervisor at a strawberry farm in Queensland.
Children & School Food
- France’s Crisis Epidemic of Limbless Babies (Daily Beast) https://thebea.st/2QJWOru Doctors are confounded on why kids from two rural French towns were born without parts of their arms and hands between 2012 and 2013.
- What School Lunches Have to Do With Fixing Wealth Inequality (Yes!) https://bit.ly/2QE3TKg Dismantling a capitalist food system could begin with schools, which nationwide spend about $3 billion on food contracts.
Labor, Unions & Coops
- Human suffering should never be an ingredient in the food we eat (Euractiv) https://bit.ly/2y22RQP
- US appeals court revives Nestlé child slavery lawsuit (Reuters) https://reut.rs/2Pjyz62
- Court Rules Nestlé Can Be Sued in America for Use of Salve Labor Overseas (Organic Consumers Association) https://bit.ly/2OTToko
- Your Halloween Candy’s Hidden Ingredient: Child Slave Labor (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2DdIjYS Chocolate makers say they’re tackling the problem, but progress is scant.
- Arkansas and Missouri Approve Minimum Wage Increases (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2SX5vA7
- The Fairness Project https://bit.ly/2RJ3QwB Also: Massachusetts Passed $15 minimum wage Michigan passed Paid Sick Leave San Antonio, TX passed Paid Sick Leave
- Dozens of Farmers Continue to Harvest Despite Proximity of (California) Fires (NBC Los Angeles) https://bit.ly/2Q0xkZH
- Senior Citizens Are Replacing Teenagers as Fast-Food Workers (Bloomberg) https://bloom.bg/2yZpki1
- New Department of Labor Numbers Show Farmers Are Increasingly Turning to this Controversial Visa Program (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2zChOJm Positions certified for the H-2A visa are up 21 percent over last year.
- Worker Cooperatives: By and For Formerly Incarcerated People (TESA Collective) https://bit.ly/2Poy76H
- We Made A Free Documentary on How to Start a Worker Co-op (TESA Collective) https://bit.ly/2qDMOEB
- It’s Official. Bumblebee Is Declared Endangered (I Heart Intelligence) https://bit.ly/2DEHnxQ
- Hemp fields offer a late-season pollen source for stressed bees (Science News) https://bit.ly/2A8iuGA Low-THC cannabis attracts a wide range of bee species collecting for larvae
- Meet Winston: America’s First Certified Therapeutic Rooster (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2FtHRsg From the moment he dons his red bandana, he’s ready to comfort people in pain. Just how good is Winston? Good Enough to have earned a testimonial letter from the world-renowned Cleveland Clinic.
- Three month after jury awarded millions in hog-waste lawsuit, trial begins in another case (The News and Observer) https://bit.ly/2PuDS3m
- Odor, flies and noise. Hog farming goes on trial again with high-stakes federal lawsuit. (The News and Observer) https://bit.ly/2PWwe1a A high-stakes, month-long trail against the world’s largest pork producer () began in Raleigh…
- As cruel industrial pig farming persists in the EU, one million citizens demand change (Euractiv) https://bit.ly/2zQygH8
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- From field to city: Are direct deliveries a viable business model for farmers? (Euractiv) https://bit.ly/2QDD3C3
- The Beverage Industry Has Figured Out a Legal End Run Around Soda Taxes (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2qAaz0B It worked in the state o Washington on Tuesday.
- Industry questions WHO’s conviction about health impact of sugar taxes (Euractiv) https://bit.ly/2QmvEHx
- Chocolate giant Cadbury ‘still pushing orangutans towards extinction by wrecking habitat for palm oil’ (Independent) https://ind.pn/2zRhAOI
- These everyday household products all contain unsustainable palm oil (Hastings & St. Leonards Observer) https://bit.ly/2qRJmq6
- Monsanto Roundup Trial Schedule (Baum Hedlund Aristei Goldman) https://bit.ly/2zFrJhr
- Sales of glyphosate sink to 13-year low in Germany (EurActiv) https://bit.ly/2DAs8Gg
- US Crops Giants are Doing More Brazil Deals Thanks to Trade War (Bloomberg) https://bloom.bg/2PXq3K6
- Aboslut Vodka and other GMO-Free Posers (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2BhWNWs
- Higher incomes not alleviating farm stress (The Western Producer) https://bit.ly/2zLq7Tr
- More Than $125 Million Poured Into Food Waste Startups In 2018 (Forbes) https://bit.ly/2DMsIRg
- 2018 US Food Waste Investment Report (ReFED) https://bit.ly/2DxcLh5
- Why Co-ops and Community Farms Can’t Close the Racial Wealth Gap (Yes!) https://bit.ly/2DeV31w Circulating local dollars can’t create wealth when there’s not enough to begin with.
- Report: The Road to Zero Wealth (Institute for Policy Studies) https://bit.ly/2z6CSrZ
- Trump’s tax cuts will help the Walton family more than Walmart workers (Market Watch) https://on.mktw.net/2PtdHdq A study suggests there’s a world of difference between the tax benefits enjoy by these workers and their employers
- Walton Wealth: An Analysis of the Last 16 Years of Corporate Dividend Tax Breaks for the Riches Family in the US (Making Change At Walmart, UFCW) https://bit.ly/2PqrjGl
- Wall Street for Locavores (Modern Farmer) https://bit.ly/2PG1K42
- 1,100 economists warn that Trump is repeating one of the biggest mistakes of the Great Depression (Business Insider) https://read.bi/2Kgk79W
Water & Our Oceans
- Fifty Towns in Connecticut Have Now Banned Fracking Waste (Food and Water Watch) https://bit.ly/2JZORvM More wins for an inspiring grassroots movement to protect community health
- US shale firms offer $100 million to aid Texas, New Mexico (Reuters) https://reut.rs/2Dvviub And what of the environmental damage?
- Hormone-Disrupting Weed Killer Taints Tap Water for Millions in Corn Belt (Environmental Working Group) https://bit.ly/2KhRVn0
- A Valuable Reputation (The New Yorker) https://bit.ly/2QWq7aj After Tyrone Hayes said that a chemical was harmful, its marker pursued him.
- Ohio’s watershed moment: How to fix Lake Erie algae (grist) https://bit.ly/2qIcrV1
- Breathing Toxins For My Birthday (Food and Water Watch) https://bit.ly/2DABgKZ Red tide has been impacting the Western coast of Florida or months in horrifying ways
- Ocean Shock: Portugal Mourns Sardines’ Escape to Cooler Waters (VOA News) https://bit.ly/2DKLKrp
- A Huge Mystery About Ocean Plastics Remains Unresolved (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2JYKwcn
- New Zealand Ends New Offshore Oil and Gas Exploration (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2zZaZBK
Government, Regulation, Policy & Farm Bill
- German Minister for Environment pushing for end or glyphosate (Euractiv) https://bit.ly/2Dirk83
- Brussels government takes Commission to EU court over glyphosate (Euractiv) https://bit.ly/2JWRu1j
- US soybean sale to China down 94% thanks to trump trade war (Axios) https://bit.ly/2Ts35K2
- Trump has only distributed a fraction of promised bailout funds for farmers hurt by tariffs (Think Progress) https://bit.ly/2Bk8bBm Less than $900 million of $12 billion bailout program has actually been given to US producers.
- Chinese – owned pork producer to get money from (US tariff) bailout program spurred by China’s tariffs (The Washington Post) https://wapo.st/2AVhCGT
- Scientists warned this weed killer (Dicamba) would destroy crops. EPA approved it anyway (Reveal News) https://bit.ly/2Q1Vq6q
- EPA Plans to Allow Unlimited Dumping of Fracking Wastewater in the Gulf of Mexico (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2QQCd4j
- USDA won’t name turkey plants, despite 164 illnesses and 1 death (Food Safety News) https://bit.ly/2DCV00J It appears that the USDA has finally released the source organizations…
- Almost 46 tons of raw ground turkey recalled for link to Salmonella Reading outbreak (Food Safety News) https://bit.ly/2DJBX4H
- Report: EPA Unable to Assess the Impact of Hundreds of Unregulated Pollutants in Land Applied Biosolids on Human Health and the Environment (EPA) https://bit.ly/2QdwMA4
- EPA Watchdog Questions Safety of Sewage Used as Fertilizer (Bloomberg) https://bit.ly/2zjko7Q This issue is still not settled after the San Francisco Organic Biosolids fiasco in 2010?
- Sewage Sludge as Fertilizer: Safe? (Food Safety News) https://bit.ly/2Dw0IjT
- USDA sued for not requiring verification for ‘humane’ labeling (Food Safety News) https://bit.ly/2DoKMjn
- Judge Orders Full Environmental Review of Keystone XL in Nebraska (DESMOG) https://bit.ly/2PPw6k5
- Colorado Abolishes Prison Slavery in Huge Win for Prisoners Rights (Fortune) https://for.tn/2QHyPcp
- Kat Brown bans offshore drilling in Oregon by executive order (Oregon Live) https://bit.ly/2KfNTvD
- California is banning the sale of eggs from caged hens (World economic Forum) https://bit.ly/2qCmqLl
- California Votes To Ban Cages For Hens, Give Farm Animals More Room (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2PIaia0 Proposition 12 may change the way farms nationwide treat their chickens, pigs and calves.
- California pesticide regulators recommend new chlorpyrifos restrictions (The Californian) https://bit.ly/2Dxpv76
- Baltimore Becomes First Major City to Ban Water Privatization (Food and Water Watch) https://bit.ly/2Dz0YQ5
- Republicans Are Making A Deal On Food Stamps And Farm Subsidies (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2DJ4QhB With Democrats taking over the House, Republicans are eager to pass the farm bill.
GMOs, CRISPR, Cloning & Synthetic Biology
- The Inventor of the GMO Potato Comes Clean (Organic Insider) https://bit.ly/2PqdLuw
- GMO Potato Creator Now Fears its Impact on Human Health (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2Be2vJ2
- GMO Potatoes Are Here – How to avoid Them (Organic Consumers Association) https://bit.ly/2qRPfnt
- Innate Second Generation Potatoes with Late Blight Protection Receive EPA and FDA Clearances (Innate) https://bit.ly/2BeCPMt
- Genetically Engineered American Chestnut Tree Called ‘Trojan Horse’ at Opening Door to Commercialize GE Trees (Stop GE Trees) https://bit.ly/2KbPWAw
- Is The Pentagon Modifying Viruses To Save Crops – Or To Wage Biological Warfare? (NPR) https://n.pr/2zC2610
Food Science, Technology & Nanotechnology
- From Soil to Supper – Technology and the Food System (Foodtank) https://bit.ly/2RJR7Kq
- Industry studies show evidence of bias and misleading conclusions on widely used insecticide: Scientists (Environmental Health News) https://bit.ly/2zlfSWl Data just doesn’t add up behind industry conclusions on chlorpyfrifos – a controversial insecticide linked to brain impacts for children.