- We Ranked All 50 States from Farm to Fork. Why We Bothered – and a Taste of Our Takeaways (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2t9KlCO
- 50 State Food System Scorecard (Union of Concerned Scientists) https://bit.ly/2LMIdJ1
- Blacksmiths Turn Unwanted Guns Into Garden Tools (Yes!) https://bit.ly/2LnNHcP Shotguns often become hand spades, and a weapon like the AR-15 that was used in recent mass shootings has a thicker barrel that suits an afterlife as a mattock.
- Wisconsin’s agriculture agent shortage heralds the end of an era for rural America (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2JmlGFn
- To Upend Failed Paradigm, Hundreds of Experts Converge in EU to Forge Blueprint for Sustainable Food System (Common Dreams) https://bit.ly/2JmYIho “We need a fundamental transition to sustainable food and farming systems,” says Oliver De Schutter
- Puerto Rico’s Push For Food Independence Intertwined With Statehood Debate (NPR) https://n.pr/2HjApvI
- Inside the Push to Bring Racial Equity to Land Grant Universities (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2kEMeUp Academics and food systems advocates are working from within public universities to acknowledge and address 150 years of structural racism.
- ‘No Such Thing as Cheap Meat’: New Global Index Shows Industry’s Failure to Combat Climate Crisis, Antibiotic Resistance (Common Dreams) https://bit.ly/2kC8fmF Index gauges how 60 suppliers, worth a combined $300 billion, are managing sustainability risks based on nine criteria
- The Coller FAIRR Protein Producer Index https://index.fairr.org/
- The Organic Coating that Gives Produce a New Life – and Opens New Markets for Farmers (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2LplEdV Avocados, mangoes, and cassava are the first corps that Apeel is targeting with their edible coating, approved for use on organic foods, that can prevent food waste and grow farm ecibinues.
- What Fossil Fuels and Factory Farms Have in Common (Yes!) https://bit.ly/2Hb2IMU Hint: They’re both issues of environmental injustice.
- Do You Know Where Your Meat Comes From? (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2LI43y9
- The Beef Of The Future Is Here, And It’s Not Mad Of Meat (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2t8NPWf Impossible Foods and Beyond Meat could give our planet the break it needs from meat. Even White Castle agrees.
- Cow’s Milk Or Almond Milk? Ethical Food Choices Are Not As Simple As You Think (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2LmJFl0 It’s not just about cutting out certain foods.
- A Vet Turns to Farming to Heal His Wounds (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2LPnWmW Alex carries the weight of chronic PTSD. Raising animals helps him keep the demons at bay.
- In Less Than One Generation, We’ve Lost More Than 10 Million Acres of the Best US Farmland (In These Times) https://bit.ly/2tczWqd
- Farmland is being consumed by expanding urban areas (The Hill) https://bit.ly/2snur8d
- An Agricultural Movement for People-to-People Reparations Puts Itself on the Map (In These Times) https://bit.ly/2IoClnY
- Jillian Hishaw wants to help black farmers stay on their land (Salon) https://bit.ly/2JlAAeM This farmers’ rights advocate is fighting for today’s farmers as well as the next generation
- For these pro bono lawyers, “Know you farmer” takes on new meaning (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2JBMzWK
- Before “Silent Spring” Debuted in 1962, Ag Pilots on the Great Plains Questioned Pesticide Safety (In These Times) https://bit.ly/2LWlPNr
Farming, Farmers, Ranching, Herding, Fishing & Production
- Farming as Resistance (Yes!) https://bit.ly/2HX79va Threatened by a mining company, indigenous women in the remote highlands of Guatemala are marching, increasing productivity, and planting trees.
- Guatemalan farmers occupy plantation formerly owned by drug traffickers (Waging Nonviolence) https://bit.ly/2swBPgO
- Farming underground in a fight against climate change (BBC) https://bbc.in/2tbZ402
- Farmers Switched to Organic After Pesticides Made Them or their Families Sick (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2xzk32s
- In Historic First, Nebraska Farmer Returns Land to Ponca Tribe Along “Trail of Tears” (Bold Nebraska) https://bit.ly/2JDU2Vi
- 350.org on Nebraska Farmer Repatriating Land to Ponca Tribe in Keystone XL’s Path (Common Dreams) https://bit.ly/2JHgPQ7
- Dairy Farms Are in Crisis and Farm Bill Won’t Help (Talk Poverty) https://bit.ly/2JG8ATy
- A Taste of the Land: Nash’s Organic Produce Grows in Fertile Dungeness Soil (KNKX) https://bit.ly/2sTSPhp
- The Elders of Organic Farming (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2JDlRft
- Growing California Rice and Almonds Against the Grain (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2LEcn1M
- In the California Desert, the Bautista Family Grows Hot Dates (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2FxGPGx
- Women In Ag: USDA Profiles a Lakota Cattle Rancher (In These Times) https://bit.ly/2tdJTTY
- On East Coast Oyster Farms, ‘Women Are Rising Up From The Bay In A Big Way’ (NPR) https://n.pr/2Im5wMt
Seeds & Cultivars
- 10 Summer Squash Varieties: Some You Know, Some You Don’t (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2JKjNU5
- 4 Seed Saving Events to Attend This Summer (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2yd2qWz
Food and Culture
- How Native American food is tied to important sacred stories (The Conversation) https://bit.ly/2LUJIou
- From Collards To Maple Syrup, How Your Identity Impacts The Food You Like (NPR) https://n.pr/2k3ligI
- Don’t Eat Before Reading This (The New Yorker) https://bit.ly/2zLHO3K I rarely speak of my over 35 years in professional kitchens, but the passing of Anthony Bourdain, and his reality check of living and working in restaurant kitchens has always rung true with my experience.
When Kitchen Confidential was published in 2000 I gave a copy to my mother, she said she didn’t want to read it, she had heard it all from me… the times I have been told “We do not speak women,” or “Get down on you knees,” in this context it does not mean to beg for work, but suck the appendage of the speaker, when I was looking for work. I have asked male chefs why they have no women in their kitchens “I can’t find any women who can cut it.” You mean they won’t cut the harassment and degradation of our work kitchens, are for the most part, a male world.
Thank you Anthony for the support, and acknowledgement that women in professional kitchens have a tough row to hoe.
- Why Cooks Love Anthony Bourdain (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2Lzi0xf
- Tongue and cheeks: Eating the once discarded parts of Newfoundland’s number one fish (Salon) https://bit.ly/2JwviKs Newfoundland’s cod are finally coming back – just in time for foreigners to develop a taste for their tongues.
- Worth The Whisk: How The Woman Behind Duke’s Mayo Became A Tycoon (NPR) https://n.pr/2sEFRox
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity, Malnutrition, and Nutrition
- For the Homeless, There’s More to Eating than Food (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2ssPyW4 Food safety, security, and storage are three problems that influence the meal choices of people living without the other conveniences of shelter.
- A Grass-Roots Effort To Feed The Poor Is Growing, Burrito By Burrito (NPR) https://n.pr/2JqjFbc
- Burrito Project https://burritoprojectsf.org/
- The Food Stamp Work Requirement Is a Scheme to Punish Hungry Americans (In These Times) https://bit.ly/2t6Ra9h
- The SNAP Challenge: Communicating food security capabilities through anti-hunger advocacy (Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development) https://bit.ly/2IZz9mY
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- The rise of the “Phenix”: giving a second life to food waste (The Conversation) https://bit.ly/2taKxSh
- The Restaurant Chain With Nothing But Food Waste On The Menu (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2HrZyEA
- Salvaging food losses from Vermont farms (Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development) https://bit.ly/2LPGB22
- Don’t call it food waste: Entrepreneurs turn surplus food into gold (Salon) https://bit.ly/2xkaYKx
- Zero-waste stores ask shoppers to bring their own everything (Salon) https://bit.ly/2Mc8lxT As record amounts of plastic waste pollutes the planet, some grocers are helping shoppers do without
- Last Straw For Plastic Straws? Cities, Restaurants Move To Toss These Sippers (NPR) https://n.pr/2J4Bh8W
- 6 Secretly Poisonous Plants We Eat All the Time (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2JMXgBP
- To Rinse Or Not To Rinse: How Washing Some Foods Can Help You Avoid Illness (NPR) https://n.pr/2MxcFbk
- Study: Cross-contamination of fresh-cut lettuce after a short-term exposure during subsequent washing with chlorine dioxide or sodium hpochlorite (Science Direct) https://bit.ly/2t1twdW
- Why Are Salad Greens Always Labeled “Triple-Washed”? (Slate) https://slate.me/2JT5k4c
- Recommendations for Handling Fresh-cut Leafy Green Salads by Consumers and Retail Food service Operators (UC Davis) https://bit.ly/2HRESGb
- We still don’t know the cause of 32 state E. coli outbreak – the only solution is more science (The Hill) https://bit.ly/2skFr5w
- Five People Have Died From the Romaine Lettuce E. Coli Outbreak (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2LoDNaZ
- Organic Food Fraud Is a Big Problem – Here’s What the Government Plans to Do About It (Food & Wine) https://bit.ly/2xC4ffi Is your organic produce really organic? The USDA has a plat to make sure it is.
- The labels said ‘organic.’ But these massive imports of corn and soybeans weren’t (Washington Post) https://wapo.st/2soTSq8
- How 36 Million Pounds of Fake Organic Food Ended Up in the US (Food & Wine) https://bit.ly/2JoqeuE
- AP Investigation: Fish billed as local isn’t always local (Associated Press) https://bit.ly/2LTMvy7
- Supposedly Sustainable Seafood Company Accused of Fraud (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2ylQNMK Sea to Table, a company that delivers seafood billed as sustainable and domestic, is the subject of an Associated Press report that indicates its products not always be either.
- Mario Batali under criminal investigation, NYPD confirms (Salon) https://bit.ly/2xzF3WQ The celebrity chef has been accused by multiple women of sexual harassment and assault
- Despite A Revamped Focus On Real-Life Skills, ‘Home Ec’ Classes Fade Away (NPR) https://n.pr/2HMA3xZ
Children & School Food
- Parents, Schools Step Up Efforts To Combat Food-Allergy Bullying (NPR) https://n.pr/2sDSAYh
- For Big Corporations Like Walmart, Wage Theft Penalties Are Just the Price of Doing Business (In These Times) https://bit.ly/2JIqgyA
- California cites seven Bay Area restaurants for $10 million wage theft (SF Chronicle) https://bit.ly/2yfhvqz
- Why Gabrielle Hamilton Broke My Heart This Week (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2HTU5q7 This week, the chef partnered up with a restaurateur who has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women.
- Why 50,000 Las Vegas Workers Are on the Verge of Striking (In These Times) https://bit.ly/2LbwIdX
- Want Better Working Conditions in Restaurants? Build a Co-op (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2HaovE5 When employees make decisions and advocate for themselves, good things happen.
- UK: Young people are leading a growing movement against low pay and precarious work (The Conversation) https://bit.ly/2syHcft
- Native American water protector becomes first to be sentenced to time in federal prison for DAPL protests (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2JXC7Zb Seven Native Americans face felony charges, while hundreds of others still face lesser charges for their role in the fight against the Dakota Access pipeline.
- Honeybees Are Very Smart (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2JU5zfm
- Honeybees zero in on nothing (EurekAlert!) https://bit.ly/2JNSNPd Scientists discover bees understand the concept of zero, a surprise finding that opens possibilities for new, simpler approaches to developing AI
- Humanity Has Killed 83% of All Wild Mammals and Half of All Plants: Study (Global Citizen) https://glblctzn.me/2LS41Ut Of all the birds left in the world, 70% are poultry chickens and other farmed birds.
- Here’s Why a Chicken Can Live Without Its Head (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2laElGp
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- With deal to close this week, Bayer to retire Monsanto name (Reuters) https://reut.rs/2xWPK5O
- US farming cannot afford to continue to fall behind (The Hill) https://bit.ly/2xCpE7U
- How Pharma Hides Data About Farm Antibiotic Use (Wired) https://bit.ly/2LTBKvK
- Major companies announce their commitment to eliminate single-use plastic (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2JQKXI5 SeaWorld Parks, American Express, Royal Caribbean, IKEA A&@ Canada, and Burger King UK have all announced their effort to eliminate items like plastic drinking straws, stirrers, lids and bags.
- McDonald’s to ditch plastic straws (BBC) https://bbc.in/2MtKeuT
- Starbucks Urged to Cut Ties With Hong Kong Chain that Still Serves Shark Fin (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2MtCs46
- How A Tiny Coffee Company Is Taking on The Homelessness Crisis (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2yegOOg The London based startup has its sights on the US And Will.i.am is going to help.
- Capilano Revives Allowerie Brand to Sell Cheap Imported Chinese Hone in Coles Supermarkets (Tasty Honey) https://bit.ly/2sSvpsu
- Australia’s Capilano Honey Admit Selling Toxic and Poisonous Hone to Consumers (Kangaroo Court of Australia) https://bit.ly/2fcPre0
- Study: Development of a fast isocratic LC-MS/MS method for the high-throughput analysis of pyrrolized alkaloids in Australian honey (Food Additive & Contaminants) https://bit.ly/2sHBdpv
- Truck Carrying Millions of Bees Crashes on East Texas Highway (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2leZK1k
Water & Our Oceans
- Bottled Water, Brought to You by Fracking (AlterNet) https://bit.ly/2pamnGz The link between fracking and bottled water industry is one more reason to take back the tap.
- 2018 Report: Take Back the Tap (Food and Water Watch) https://bit.ly/2ostw4m
- The Resource Curse of Appalachia (NYT) https://nyti.ms/2JtZZQh
- Beyond Flint: Contaminated Drinking Water is Everywhere in America (AlterNet) https://bit.ly/2HeBGUP Agricultural runoff is poorly regulated and turning many waterways across the country into dangerous cesspools
- Flint Water Crisis Fast Facts (CNN) https://cnn.it/2nGbefF
- Brain damaging lead found in tap water in hundreds of homes tested across Chicago, results show (Chicago Tribune) https://trib.in/2GSPfhi
- Citizen-scientists in Minnesota and Wisconsin demand action after finding E. coli in their water (New Food Economy) https://bit.ly/2JV7jbl But don’t blame farmers. Pressured to expand, they’re in an unenviable bind: Scale and risk polluting local waterways – or resist and risk their livelihoods.
- Plastic killed most sperm whales found dead in Greek waters since 2001 (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2kGf0E5 “The evidence is starting to mount rapidly that we just cannot throw away plastic as we have been.”
- Reef Madness: The Trump Administration’s Plan To Hand a Coral Ecosystem to the Fishing Industry (In These Times) https://bit.ly/2JSUKd9
- India’s decision to eliminate single-use plastic bags by 2022 is ‘game-changing’ (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2JP45mg “It is the duty of each one of us, to ensure that the quest for material prosperity does not compromise our environment.”
- AGs sue EPA over delay of requirement to protect farmworkers (The Hill) https://bit.ly/2srX3MK The attorney general (AG) from three states are suing the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for failing to enforce a requirement meant in part to protect farm workers from pesticides.
- ‘Merger From Hell’ Wins Approval From Trump DOJ (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2kEfdaD
- The CDC Is Investigating Salmonella Outbreaks From Backyard Chickens (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2sZ7Uza It makes sense to think that chickens you raise yourself, with room to move around, a good diet and minimal stress, would be safer than dreaded industrial birds.
- Sweet Talk: FDA’s ‘Added Sugar’ Label Hits Sour Note With Maple Syrup Makers (NPR) https://n.pr/2Jocehm Maple syrup producers take pride in their pure, natural product. So when the US Food and Drug Administration proposed new labels to say maple syrup contains “added sugar,” producers fought back.
- Trump Administration’s New Orwellian GMO Labels Won’t Actually Say ‘GMO’ (AlterNet) https://bit.ly/2LRvy7v The proposed labels are a loss for consumer transparency.
- Trump’s Trade Ware Is Already Affecting Farmers (modern farmer) https://bit.ly/2yfGKcl
- What the Failure of the House Farm Bill Means for Good Food Advocates (Civil Eats) https://bit.ly/2s6lPSy Last week’s collapse of the bill surprised many, but it’s too soon to declare it a win.
- A second chance for Republicans to reform farm handouts (The Hill) https://bit.ly/2JakXXS
- Hawaii Becomes First State To Ban Widely-Used Pesticide Found To Be Harmful To Kids (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2MrZf0j “Hawaii is showing the Trump administration that the states will stand up for our kids, even when Washington will not.”
- After Flint Crisis, Michigan Sets a New Standard for Lead in Drinking Water (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2JQAix3
- Michigan Not Waiting Around For EPA To Fix Weak Rules On Lead In Drinking Water (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2LUWmUu The Flint water crisis exposed glaring problems with federal regulations and the EPA is dragging feet on a fix.
- EPA Moves To Replace Obama-Era Rule Protecting Drinking Water For 117 Million (Huffington Post) https://bit.ly/2LW7L6G Scott Pruitt revoked the Clean Water Rule, which clarified what bodies of water could be federally protected, last year.
- Judge orders Alaska prison to stop serving pork to Muslim inmates (The Hill) https://bit.ly/2JpWnC6
- Vancouver becomes first city in world to approve zero waste strategic plan (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2H9TyQr “It’s a coastal city, with the plastic items having a significant impact on the environment, we feel it’s important to take action.”
- Court Upholds NYC Ban on Polystyrene Containers (NRDC) https://on.nrdc.org/2MpHHSt
- The Senate Is About to Vote on Its Farm Bill. What the Hell Is the Farm Bill, Anyway? (Mother Jones) https://bit.ly/2JGyVSo And why should I care?
- Will Congress Use the Farm Bill to Undermine Organics? (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2MrStrn
- Common Antimicrobial in Toothpaste Linked to Inflammation and Cancer in the Gut (Truthout) https://bit.ly/2thZTET
- As Trump EPA Attacks Workers and Environment, Trio of Lawsuits Takes Aim at “outrageous” Pro-Pesticide Agenda (Common Dreams) https://bit.ly/2IZe8sA The suits, filed Wednesday, target the Trump administration’s efforts to block federal rules on poisonous chemicals
- Beekeepers File Legal Complaint Against Bayer Over Glyphosate in Honey (EcoWatch) https://bit.ly/2t8ULmo
- Glyphosate detected in granola and crackers, FDA emails show (Nation of Change) https://bit.ly/2tcnerp
- Children May Be Eating Cereal Laced With Monsanto’s Toxic Weed Killer (AlterNet) https://bit.ly/2y0N7QD The probable carcinogen glyphosate has been detected in popular cereals, but the EPA is ready to approve its use for 15 more years.
- Glyphosate Used to Kill and Prepare Crops for Harvest (The Cornucopia Institute) https://bit.ly/2MeXIKS
- Glyphosate as a Pre-Harvest Aid in Small-Grains (ND State University) https://bit.ly/2p0KF7x
Education & Training
- University of California Cooperative Extension Beginning Farmer & Rancher Development Program Pastured/Free-Range Poultry Training https://bit.ly/2kC3auB
- July 12, 2018, UC Davis
- August 15 – 16, 2018, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR