Grow Calgary has compost donated to them from a few partners like Bona Roma. Grow Calgary accepts compost within a three or four km radius from around the 11 acre farm west of C.O.P.
Now all of this decomposing matter is very vital for the growth of a plant.
Compost can improve the configuration of soil and it helps hold the right amount of moister, nutrient and air to properly aerate the soil and help plants grow.
Compost in fact has the ability to change up even the toughest forms of clay soil and sandy soil alike.
Compost is a great way to help reduce the waste problem and it is also helps as an awesome improvement for mulch and soil.
The benefits of composting are easily found there is the reduction in garbage volume and it is also a natural alternative the helps cut back on the use of chemical fertilizers.
Compost also helps improve ventilation and drainage of the soil so the plant can grow.
Now by adding the improved ventilation and drainage it helps decrease the need for watering.
There are something’s that can not be composted and are important to be weary of what you throw in your compost.
- Meat, like fish and animal fats, these decomposing material may attract unwanted critters to your compost pile.
- Certain kinds of paper like newspapers or office paper these kinds of papers may contain chemicals and are not good for your plant and should instead be recycled.
- Ashes from grills, now wood ash can be useful in very small quantities but BBQ grill ashes shouldn’t go into the compost.
- Pet feces these things can actually can add diseases to your compost and have an unpleasant odour. But good manure to uses for compost would be chicken horse cow, and even rabbit.
- Treated sawdust from lumber mills because sometimes the wood could be treated with harmful chemicals.