- New Open Source License Fights the Enclosure of Seeds (Resilience) http://bit.ly/2r5DbAt
- Open source seed initiative http://osseeds.org/
- What ag schools really need to teach: a report (Food Politics) http://bit.ly/2qU2GlL
- Report: The Challenge of Change: Harnessing University Discovery, Engagement, and Learning to Achieve Food & Nutrition Security (Association of Public & Land Grant Universities) http://bit.ly/2qMTH7E
- The demand for ‘local’ food is growing — here’s why investors should pay attention (Business Insider) http://read.bi/2oNrLRO
- If Your City Counts of Food, It Better Start Doing Food Stats (Medium) http://bit.ly/2rUeXK6
- Food Counts: A Pan-Canadian Sustainable Food Systems Report Card (Food: Locally Embedded, Globally Engaged) https://fledgeresearch.ca/foodcounts/
- Researchers Discover Seaweed That Tastes Like Bacon and is Twice as Healthy as Kale (Independent UK) http://ind.pn/2qvu0px
- Why You Want One of These Dutch (Sea) Weed Burgers (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2rG83Iy
- Brexit and the coming food crisis: ‘If you can’t feed a country, you haven’t got a country’ (The Guardian) Britain’s food production depends on seasonal migrant labour from the EU. What will happen to those workers after Brexit? An how will it change the industry?
- Ron Finley Celebrates Victory For His South Central Garden (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2qRFGGe The renegade gardener who has long worked to give people in food deserts the ‘freedom to feed themselves’ has raised $550,000 to save his land.
- Burying Aldo Leopold (New Food Economy) http://bit.ly/2rdwlss
- Comes Down to Monopoly Control of the Aftermarket (Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting) http://bit.ly/2q60Fm5 CounertSpin interview with Kyle Wiens on copyright overreaching
- In North Carolina, pigs don’t fly, but their feces do (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2qaMKNO
- Chinese Chicken Is Headed To America, But It’s Really All about The Beef (NPR) http://n.pr/2pCDgfg
- Mexico’s avocado army: how one city stood up to the drug cartels (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2riBAaz
- Pickle Juice Soda Is Now A Thing, And People Are Confused (Thrillist) http://bit.ly/2pBWjTy
- Artic stronghold of world’s seeds flooded after permafrost melts (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2qzp5Gy
- Norway to boost protection of Arctic seed vault from climate change (BBC) http://bbc.in/2r3FgNQ
- What’s So Great About 350 Degrees? (The Atlantic) http://theatln.tc/2qMs8vK
- Chefs Share 58 of the Stupidest Food Orders Ever (Fine Dining Lovers) http://bit.ly/2rTjvxq
- 11 Famous Chefs Who Are Trying to Save the World With Food (Global Citizen) http://glblctzn.me/2ruW4NN
- If Raw Fruits or Veggies Give You a Tingly Mouth, It’s a Real Syndrome (NPR) http://n.pr/2qOh0fR
- The Key to Feeding the World? It’s Healthy Soil (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2peKWDT
- 24 Lost Gardening Tips from 100 Years Ago (Storage Prepper News) http://bit.ly/2rcumVf
- David Mas Masumoto: “I discovered that listening is love’ – the priceless art of story telling (The Fresno Bee) http://bit.ly/2ra8mrY
- Brood Awakening: 17-Year Cicadas Emerge 4 Years Early (Scientific American) http://bit.ly/2sbT1GM
- To save the world’s forests, protect women’s land rights (devex) http://bit.ly/2qA8RKa
- Researchers Have Found That Plants Know They Are Being Eaten (Business Insider) http://read.bi/2qAM68Z
- Want to Get “Back to the Land”? You’re Not Alone (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2sfDRRJ
Farmers, Farming, Ranching, Herding & Production
- Not Your Average Farmer, But They Should Be (5th Branch) http://bit.ly/2qc2269
- 10 Female Urban Farmers Setting the Tone for Sustainable Cities (Seedstock) http://bit.ly/2qvfGjH
- How Millennials Will Forever Change America’s Farmlands (Fortune) http://for.tn/2mvDIdO
- Senator Stabenow Announces the Urban Agriculture Act of 2016 (Debbie Stabenow) http://bit.ly/2qVQdNl
- In the Fields with Ben Burkett (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2rb7fdu The fourth-generation farmer and legendary farm advocate shares lessons learned from his decades on the farm, the changes facing small farmers, and why to continue pushing for change.
- What Do Farmers Need To Know About Climate Change? Conservation Planning (National Farmers Union) http://bit.ly/2qayMvi
- In Napa, Mexican Americans have gone from migrant workers to vineyard owners. Here are 10 Latino-owned wineries to visit. (Matador Network) http://bit.ly/2r5FSzS
- Birthplace of Fetzer’s Mendocino County win empire makes way for cannabis economy (Press Democrat) http://bit.ly/2qzGZWn
- How Mexican farmers got the better of Trump (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2qBjxg6
- Farming and the geography of nutrient production for human use: a transdisciplinary analysis (The Lancet) http://bit.ly/2qSsHnv
- Why are so many young Greeks turning t farming? (Al Jazeera) http://bit.ly/2qPpJQp
- Farmer faces $2.8 million fine for plowing field (Record Searchlight) http://bit.ly/2qRGOJZ
- An inside view of Hong Kong’s hidden rooftop farms (BBC) http://bbc.in/2rA0Ol3
- Grains piles on runways, parking lots, fields amid global glut (Reuters) http://reut.rs/2oUTOyr
Food and Culture
- How Puerto Rico Lost Its Home-Grown Food, But Might Find It Again (NPR) http://n.pr/2pLPHBz
- Puerto Rico Is Sowing A New Generation Of Small Farmers (NPR) http://n.pr/1RCoB8L
- Toronto’s new Indigenous restaurant also a cultural hub (Toronto Metro News) http://bit.ly/2oG1kgR
- Street Smarts (Tasting Table) http://bit.ly/2qdCIso From the ultimate NYC pizza crawl to a market excursion in Hanoi, these are the 10 best street food tours around the world
- A History of Hunger Lies Beneath Italy’s Food Culture (Time) http://ti.me/2rAkAgo
- This Week in Appropriation: Kooks Burritos and Willamette Week (The Portland Mercury) http://bit.ly/2qgBuvP
- Portland Burrito Spot Shutters Amid Claims of Cultural Appropriation (Eater Portland, OR) http://bit.ly/2qIIaGy
- The last farmer of Florida’s prized Zellwood corn is thinking of packing it in (Tampa Bay Times) http://bit.ly/2s1VR1U
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity & Malnutrition
- There Are 3 Major Famines on Our Planet Right Now – Can You Even Name Them? The Media Is Virtually Blacking Out Human Tragedy (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2oTUN1V Millions of people are facing famine and drought in Somalia, South Sudan, and Yemen, but how many countries are paying attention?
- Numbers Speak Louder Than Words: The Stats on Hunger, Malnutrition & Food Insecurity (Medium) http://bit.ly/2s8vGpj
- Nutrition: A world of insecurity (Nature) http://go.nature.com/2qnqT6X
- Trump Wants Families On Food Stamps To Get Jobs. The Majority Already Work (NPR) http://n.pr/2rXBIce
- Why Trump Cutting Food Stamps Could Starve America’s Economy (NBC News) http://nbcnews.to/2rNqmbA
- Mulvaney: We must lower the debt for unborn children by taking food from existing children (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/2qjEZX8
- The Problem Isn’t Food Stamps, It’s Poverty (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2rJSTld That so may working households qualify for the aid reflects the prevalence of low wage jobs, the real problem Washington should be solving.
- GOP Congressman Declines To Say Whether Every American Is Entitled To Eat (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2r9JhgJ
- Illinois Offers Devastating Preview of Trump-Style Cuts to ‘Meals on Wheels’ (In These Times) http://bit.ly/2rdGhSR
- Donald Trump to Hungry Seniors: Drop Dead (The Nation) http://bit.ly/2r4mdQB Some 10 million elders are threatened by hunger – but the president’s budget would slash desperately needed funding for food programs.
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- If You Want To Be Healthier, Eat Your Trash (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2qBEyWS
- Amazing building made from 1.5 million plastic bottles withstands fires and earthquakes (inhabitat) http://bit.ly/2r8yq9u
- California’s Recycling Rate Drops Following Closures of More Than 500 Recycling Center (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2quqjj5 The state’s beverage container recycling rates have fallen below 80 percent for the first time since 2008.
- It was a perfect California beach day … except for all the plastic pollution (LA Times) http://lat.ms/2pv30bJ
- Why You Should Stop Feeding Your Baby From Trendy Little Food Pouches (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2s7vkA7 They’re an environmental nightmare.
- More Than 5,600 Pounds of Beef, Pork, And Veal Recalled For E. Coli (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2pj5bww The meat was sold in six states.
- California mom drizzled gas station cheese on her Doritos. Now, she’s fighting for her life (LA Times) http://lat.ms/2qC1gfB
Children & School Food
- School District Switches to Local and Organic Meals, Cuts Carbon Footprint – and Saves Money (yes!) http://bit.ly/2rdUr7d A new report reveals surprising results when Oakland overhauled its lunch menu at 100-plus schools by serving less meat and more fruits and vegetables.
- Less Meat, Better Food, Happier Kids: Oakland Unified Reinvented its School Lunch (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2n9zoNK In 2008 we transformed Oakland’s Senior Nutrition program (Meals on Wheels & Congregate Sites) to local, sustainably produced foods and cooked from scratch, we reduced our food costs by 1.6%, serving a vegetarian meal once a week…
- Shaming Children So Parents Will Pay the School Lunch Bill (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2oZeLEE
- Jim Hightower: Using lunch to punish the poor (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2rYyN40 Nearly half of American school districts shame and stigmatize kids whose parents can’t afford school lunches.
- America the cruel: While hedge fund managers pocket windfalls, kids lacking lunch money are shamed (Salon) http://bit.ly/2r0eLaH
- ‘What is wrong with you?’: Michelle Obama savages Trump for gutting her legacy (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2pIlsv5 Former first lady attacks president’s reversal of regulations to help improve school lunches: ‘Thing about why someone is OK with your kids eating crap’
- Trump unwinding Michelle Obama school lunch program rules (The Hill) http://bit.ly/2pVOJGx
- The Brief Origins of May Day (Industrial Workers of the World) http://bit.ly/R0yulV
- How low-wage immigrant workers are reviving unions (High Country News) http://bit.ly/2qAIXpJ In Los Angeles, a steady movement takes hold under the Trump administration.
- Stop Supporting Child Slavery By Avoiding These 6 Chocolate Companies (Educate Inspire Change) http://bit.ly/2oZa8ve
- Wal-Mart Settlement in First LGBT Workers’ Class Action Reflects Larger Shift (The National Law Journal) http://bit.ly/2q88H12
- Exploitation and Abuse at the Chicken Plant (The New Yorker) http://bit.ly/2qCe9W1 Case Farms built its business by recruiting immigrant workers from Guatemala, who endure conditions few Americans would put up with.
- Case Farms Responds to Our Story (ProPublica) http://bit.ly/2p79HlD
- Glyphosate linked to monarch butterfly decline – new study (GM Watch) http://bit.ly/2rAX2rX
- Open letter urges WHO to take action on industrial animal farming (The Lancet) http://bit.ly/2rduULe
- Meet Nevada’s cow cops (High Country News) http://bit.ly/2rhMYDe Where crime scene investigators ride the range.
- The Largest Cockfighting Bust in US History Just Happened in California (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2pWPPxe Sheriffs found a staggering 7,000 fighting roosters at a single location.
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- 6 Reasons Local Food Systems Will Replace our Industrial Model (In These Times) http://bit.ly/2qB28Df
- Special Report: War on big food (Fortune) http://for.tn/1IN0AcK
- Anheuser-Busch InBev Shuts out craft beer brewers by hoarding hops (MarketWatch) http://on.mktw.net/2r3X0EH
- The Real Reason Chinatown Produce is Crazy Cheap (Saveur) http://bit.ly/2qwsh3T The Wall Street Journal doesn’t find foreign imports or discounts for low quality vegetables, but rather a special network of suppliers selling especially fresh food
- Access To Markets: The Greenway Farm Family & Farm Advocacy (National Farmers Union) http://bit.ly/2quqQSj
- Walmart’s $237 Million Man: How Americans Subsidize Inequality (truthout) http://bit.ly/2qkHZh9 Remember that US taxpayers subsidize each Wal-Mart store to the tune of $900,000, currently there are 4,672 Wal-Mart stores in the US (supercenters, neighborhood markets, discount stores & Sam’s Club) http://bit.ly/2rR8VHj
- Walmart’s Low Wages Could Cost $900,000 Per Year (2013) (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/1kTu3GH
- 2014 Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance (Forbes) http://bit.ly/2rv9KZq
- America has become so anti-innovation – it’s economic suicide (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2r4Ofeh What has been the driving force behind American innovation, the public or private sector?
- Report: Invested in Exploitation? (Action on Aid) http://bit.ly/2qgZ6QF TIAA’s Links to Land Grabbing and Deforestation
- Africa is not poor, we are stealing its wealth (Al Jazeera) http://bit.ly/2rAMpFh It’s time to change the way we talk and think about Africa.
- Report: Honest Accounts 2017: How the world profits from Africa’s wealth (Global Justice Now) http://bit.ly/2qX1rnQ
- The Fallacy of Endless Economic Growth (The Pacific Standard) http://bit.ly/2rwTy9A
- Raising the Minimum Wage is Good For Cities (Patriotic Millionaires) http://bit.ly/2qYdZLA
- Dirty Family Secret Is Behind JBS’s $20 Billion Buying Spree (Ag Web) http://bit.ly/2r5Fxx6
- And some background on JBS: Bacon Is About to Get More Expensive (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1HQ5Cpa
- US Organic Hotspots and their Benefit to Local Economies (Organic Trade Association) http://bit.ly/2mcoR7t The results are positive with lower poverty rats, higher median annual household incomes, organic agriculture can be used as an economic development tool…
- Nearly $1 Million in Stolen Bees Recovered in Fresno, CA (KQED) http://bit.ly/2qepc7R
- Why your ‘organic’ milk may not be organic (WSJ) http://wapo.st/2qzMa9g
- Trump Labor Secretary Acosta’s Deadly Agenda for Workers (The Progressive) http://bit.ly/2pJAbtj
Water & Our Oceans
- University of Arkansas disposes of wastewater from nuclear plant in city sewer system (40 29 News) http://bit.ly/2qrqmzq
- Life on the Keystone XL route: where opponents fear the ‘black snake’ (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2oUsela
- Dakota Access pipeline has first leak before it’s fully operational (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2qtFaik
- 2 more leaks found along Dakota Access pipeline (Missoulian) http://bit.ly/2rMoEGH
- Making Us All Sicker: Detroit Water Shut-Offs May Well Have Caused Irreparable Damage (truthout) http://bit.ly/2rRqBBy
- In these Western cities, using less water costs more (High Country News) http://bit.ly/2rhsJpl Some homes pay five times as much as others for the same amount of water.
- Through the Wringer: Lessons from California’s water crisis (grist) http://bit.ly/2s8fYeR
- Techies and tractors: Silicon Valley’s next big thing is saving water (grist) http://bit.ly/2r5YAJf
- Veggies grown with toilet water could be headed to your table (grist) http://bit.ly/2qwgwtw
- The water empire: How a Korean family became the source of drinking water for many Angelenos (grist) http://bit.ly/2s8fYeR
- 15 facts that show why bottled water is one of the biggest scams of the century (Business Insider) http://bit.ly/2reiPlS
- EPA Consumer (water) Confidence Report http://bit.ly/2rey66h
- Great Barrier Reef can no longer be saved, Australian experts concede (Independent UK) http://ind.pn/2qA5Fya ‘In our lifetime and on our watch, substantial areas of the Great Barrier Reef and the surrounding ecosystems are experiencing major long-term damage’
- Billionaire Gives Away His Fortune to Help Save the Ocean (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2qcjdPY
- Politicians in Denmark are going Vegan to tackle climate change (Metro UK) http://bit.ly/2pP3nj9
- Why the US Should Seize & Occupy Canada’s Milk Policy (Medium) http://bit.ly/2qsNgXX Make American Dairy Great Again!!!
- How Trump’s Skewered View of Rural America and Agriculture Threatens the Welfare of Farmworkers (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2qbHQj5 Trump wrote an executive order on rural America as if farmworkers don’t exist.
- Trump Assures Farmers Immigration Crackdown Won’t Affect Their Workers (Huffington Post) http://bit.ly/2pNxwLz
- Trump Proposes Major Farm Cuts (Northern Ag) http://bit.ly/2qPUu7G
- Congress and Farmers Are Shocked By Proposed USDA Cuts (NPR) http://n.pr/2qPuedP
- Green light for USDA’s pork slaughter modernization rule (National Hog Farmer) http://bit.ly/2r02sLM
- ‘An Idea Who’s Time Has Come’: Lawmakers Roll Out Plan to Expand Worker Ownership (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2q9kUBa ‘Giving workers a seat at the table and their fair share of the profits they help produce is one way to even up the playing field and give hardworking Americans a chance to create an economy that works for everyone’
- Judge: EPA’s Approval of Bee-Killing Pesticides Violated Federal Law (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2rhApZr
- The Trump Administration Just Punted on How to Handle the Most Toxic Pesticides (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2qstY4H Including one that likely sickened 12 farmworkers earlier this month.
- Trump’s EPA Greenlights a Nasty Chemical. A Month Later, It Poisons a Bunch of Farmworkers. (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2qjKP9g
- House votes to undo pesticide protections for nation’s waterways (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/2qqNEC5 Opponents say Republican-led bill takes away the public’s right to know about pesticides.
- EPA Chooses Foreign Mining Interest Over Critical Alaska Watershed (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2pHnbAQ “If the Trump administration’s strategy is to put a foreign mining company first – and America’s greatest wild salmon fishery dead last – then sadly it’s succeeding”
- Oregon GMO liability bill survives Legislature’s deadline (Capital Press) http://bit.ly/2oLu5qO
- A New Law Would Legalize Selling Home Cooked Food in California (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2pn6aOy California is trying to legalize small-scale sale of food made by home cooks. But will it allow tech startups to treat home cooks like Uber drivers?
- California’s senators just proposed a path to legal status and citizenship for farmworkers (LA Times) http://lat.ms/2pJDtKj
- Missouri legislature passes bill to undo St. Louis minimum wage hike (Fox 2 St. Louis) http://bit.ly/2rd98U5
- North Carolina Lawmakers Side With Factory Farms as Communities of Color Suffer From he Spraying of Hog Manure (Democracy Now!) http://bit.ly/2qBDCjb
- Flint Residents Could Lose Their Homes Over Unpaid Bills for Poisoned Water (CommonDreams) http://bit.ly/2qG0k8K ‘I got scared, for probably the first time since this all started this actually scared me,’ local resident says of tax lien notice
- President Trump’s Budget is an Assault on the Farm Safety Net and Rural Communities, NFU Says (National Farmers Union) http://bit.ly/2qTEGRO
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- Genetically engineered potatoes approved for Maine (Bangor Daily News) http://bit.ly/2pzV2Qj
- UN experts denounce ‘myth’ pesticides are necessary to feed the world (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2mdHDII Report warns of catastrophic consequences and blames manufacturers for ‘systematic denial of harms’ and ‘unethical marketing tactics’
- Robert Kennedy Jr. Leads Lawsuits To Sue Monsanto For Cancer-Causing Roundup Weed Killer (March Against Monsanto) http://bit.ly/2oW1o8r
- Local Sustainable Economies Conference Northeastern University, Boston, MA June 7 – 9, 2017 http://bit.ly/2lMk7BZ