- Mobile grocery store sees interest grow after 1 year in St. Louis food desert (St. Louis Public Radio) http://bit.ly/2jQbJDI
- Wendell Berry’s Radical Skepticism (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2jaOctn
- The Black Panther Party: A Food Justice Story (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2kooGov
- The Rights of Nature: Indigenous Philosophies Reframing Law (Intercontinental Cry) http://bit.ly/2jXjms7
- More soil organic matter makes more rain (Beef Producer) http://bit.ly/2jFvJ92 New satellite data shows just how important is plant-soil evapotranspiration and how it lasts longer than once believed.
- How “Open Source” Seed Producers from the US to India are Changing Global Food Production (Resilience) http://bit.ly/2j1pCit
- Agroecology Booming in Argentina (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2k1VEej
- A non-GMO approach to producing bigger, better wheat (Anthropocene) http://bit.ly/2k2aHVg
- South LA “Gangsta Gardener” Ron Finley Fights to Save His Garden From Eviction (LA Weekly) http://bit.ly/2jvnj3U
- The Hottest Thing in Farming (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2kqs8ev New technology – and growing demand for local food – is making winter farming more possible than ever.
- A superbug resistant to every available antibiotic in the US kills Nevada Woman (PBS Newshour) http://to.pbs.org/2iwxUNd
- When Your Healers Become Your Killers (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2jWnape
- Trump and Trade: The Perils for Agriculture (Foreign Policy In Focus) http://bit.ly/2jH2suv
- Ken Cook: It’s Time We Get Serious About Organic Farming (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2iMb18Q
- Brazil Drought Déjà vu Makes Coffee 2017’s Commodity Winner (Bloomberg) http://bloom.bg/2iEBaDh
- Native Seeds Sustain Brazil’s Semi-Arid Northeast (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2iMcc8g
- Drought Deals Harsh Blow to Cameroon’s Cocoa Farmers (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2k2pr6L
- Beyond Trump: How Will a Billionaire’s Privatization of the Presidency Affect our Food? (Food First) http://bit.ly/2jNuirr
- Celebrity chef: Trump inauguration copied my cake for Obama (The Hill) http://bit.ly/2jNvnzc
- Washington DC bakery comments on Trump inauguration cake controversy (Entertainment Weekly) http://bit.ly/2iRsHl5
- Hundreds Flock to New Vegan Soul Food Grand Opening in Oakland (The Post News Group) http://bit.ly/2jnszZ5
- 5 Sketchy Facts About Trump’s Pick for USDA Chief (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2kpwl1E
- What Will Trump’s Agriculture Pick Mean for Food Policy? (The Lunch Tray) http://bit.ly/2k0xXCs
- Food and More: Expanding the Movement for the Trump Era (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2kj57dR
- A Real-Life Stan Mikita’s Donuts Heads to Los Angeles This Weekend (LA Eater) http://bit.ly/2jjzAa5
Food and Culture
- Canadian food culture tells a story in cod tongues (The Toronto Star) http://on.thestar.com/2jNZ8A1
- Meet the culinary zealot fighting to preserve Syrian cuisine despite years of war (Los Angeles Times) http://lat.ms/2jefLEg
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity & Malnutrition
- The Long Shadow of Childhood Hunger (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2jZpDmN A new study links food insecurity to poor health and behavior problems.
- Study: Transitions Into Food Insecurity Associated With Behavioral Problems Ann worse Overall Health Among Children (Health Affairs) http://bit.ly/2keDm6d
- Science Says This Weird Virus Could Make You Fat (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2jv4SvQ Yet more evidence that there’s more to losing weight than diet and exercise.
- How the US Government Subsidizes Obesity (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2ju1yEo
- The Popular Theory About What Causes Obesity May Be Very Wrong (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2iZdWHT
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Swedish supermarkets replace sticky labels with laser marking (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2jLN9mC Food retailers aiming to cut plastic packaging by ditching stickers on fruits and vegetables, instead using hi-tech ‘natural branding’
- What’s Better for the Environment, Paper Bags or Reusable Plastic Bags? (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2kfJgTR
- Why Your Urine Is Too Good to Waste (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2jPHoVs Almost all of the nitrogen and phosphorous we ingest comes out of our bodies – what if we could return it to the soil?
- Processed food NOT fat is the real cause of heart disease, claims heart surgeon who says a diet of natural food an even reverse the illness (The Daily Mail) http://dailym.ai/2iu3Nbb
- Palm Oil Products Are Being Pulled From Some Stores In Italy After A Report Linking It To Cancer (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2iNOG7H
- Report: Process contaminants in vegetable oils and foods (European Food Safety Authority) http://bit.ly/2jD0vSd
- Sugar, explained (Vox) http://bit.ly/2jPwlbX Sugar is the dietary villain of our day. But the science is complicated.
- It’s Time to Stop Shaming Poor People for What They Buy With Food Stamps (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2k5iGgh No, low-income people aren’t quaffing huge amounts of soda on the taxpayer dime.
- In the Shopping Cart of a Food Stamp Household: Not What the New York Times Reported (Talk Poverty) http://bit.ly/2jSe90K
- Study: US Salmon May Carry Japanese Tapeworm, Which Can Grow to 30 Feet Long (KTLA) http://bit.ly/2jBZhnC
- Andrew Puzder’s shad history: Trump’s labor secretary nominee is a habitual violator of labor law (Salon) http://bit.ly/2iIWozM
- New Labor Secretary (nominee): Cutthroat Businessman and Anti-Minimum Wage (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2jiTWnT Andrew Puzder want to apply his fast food principles to federal policy.
- Report: Labor Secretary Nominee Andrew Puzder’s Employees Report High Rates of Wage and Hour Violations, Age Discrimination, and Sexual Harassment (Restaurant Opportunities Centers United) http://bit.ly/2iogXGt
- A Legal Fight In New York Could Cause Big Headaches For Uber (BuzzFeed) http://bzfd.it/2jJkCuM A disputed workers compensation claim could end with Uber being declared the legal employer if tits on-demand workforce.
- Montgomery County (MD)to Raise Minimum Wage to $15 Per Hour By 2020 (NBC4 Washington) http://bit.ly/2j99Az3
- Beyond Standing Rock: As Pipelines Proliferate Across the US, So Do Protests (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2jFMnp8
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- Spain’s ‘Robin Hood Restaurant’ Charges The Rich And Feeds The Poor (NPR) http://n.pr/2kxJtSJ
- 100km Foods (Edible Toronto) http://bit.ly/2jrLuCK
- West Oakland foods cooperative defies odds, serves people (East Bay Express) http://bayareane.ws/2ju5q7g
- How Big Dairy Is Producing Poorer Farmers, Sicker Cows and Unsafe Beef (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2jNC70e The conventional dairy industry has pushed cows to their physical limits.
- The Head of Obama’s USDA Just Took a Cushy Big Dairy Job (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2jkOX3V Former agriculture secretary Tom Vilsack heads to greener pastures at the US Dairy Export Council.
- Trump Is Ready to Bless Monsanto and Bayer’s Massive Merger (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2jDKUBB
- The Restaurant Industry Prepares for the Trump Era (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2j7nMuH A look at how chefs, bakers, and eaters are lining up to resist the Trump administration on Inauguration Day and beyond.
- Thousands of Skittles end up on an icy road. But that’s not the surprising part (CNN) http://cnn.it/2j29JXz … The sheriffs’ department later found out that the Skittles fell off a truck that was hauling the red candies to be used as cattle feed… I guess we are still feeding cattle candy, it is cheaper than fodder.
- Meet Nevada’s cow cops (High Country News) http://bit.ly/2jKeeq6
Water & Our Oceans
- More Lockdowns, Arrests as Indigenous-Led Direct Action Campaign Continues in West Texas (truthout) http://bit.ly/2iv6XuU
- Battle for the Amazon: Tapajós Basin Threatened by Massive Development (truthout) http://bit.ly/2jdMV79
- Crawling with crab (The Daily Astorian) http://bit.ly/2jZav90
- Obama Moves To Protect More California Coast in Mendocino, Humboldt, Santa Cruz (sfist) http://bit.ly/2jv9tyd
- Is Your Omega 3 Supplement Killing Seals, Penguins, and Other Arctic Animals? (One Green Planet) http://bit.ly/2jmjeP0
- The Most Dangerous Bill You’ve Never Heard Of Just Passed The House (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2jJDGdH … the House of Representatives has passed a bill which would effectively repeal future standard setting under every important environmental, public health, consumer protection, labor standard, occupational safety and civil right law on the books.
- EPA Ordered to Freeze All Grants and Contracts (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2k0uxju
- Bumblebee Gets New Protection on Obama’s Way Out (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2iTJC2i The Rusty-Patch Bumblebee is the first bee to be listed as endangered from the lower 48 states…
- USDA Scientists Have Been Put On Lockdown Under Trump (BuzzFeedNews) http://bzfd.it/2jNYJf9 “Starting immediately and until further notice” the department’s main research division “will not release any public-facing documents,” according to an internal memo.
- ‘It’s Outrageous’: EPA Acknowledges Proven Dangers of Bee-Killing Pesticides But Refuses to Restrict Them (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2iu1kxh
- EPA Acknowledges Neonics’ Harm to Bees, Then ‘Bows to Pesticide Industry’ (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2iv4SiV
- Obama Declared An Emergency In Flint One Year Ago. The Crisis Isn’t Over (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2j1uxvA
- Obama Regulators Reject Fracked Gas Pipeline Across Oregon (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2iUnAvY FERC refused to approve a liquefied natural gas export project – for the first time ever.
- Organic Check-Off Program Advances (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2iBsVfR
- Got Organic? USDA Proposes Organic Check-Off Program, Family Farmers Question Value (Beyond Pesticides) http://bit.ly/2kfGKwQ
- What’s at Stake for Ag Policy under Trump’s USDA Pick (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2jaMIOM
- Trump’s Pick For Agriculture Secretary Is A Climate Denier, Too (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2jQY1zQ
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- There Foods Aren’t Genetically Modified but They Are ‘Edited’ (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2jp7HkX No, they are genetically modified, I don’t think this author understands basic biology…
- Burkina Faso says cotton production increases after it discontinues Monsanto variety (St. Louis Post-Dispatch) http://bit.ly/2jkOJJQ Burkina Faso estimates its production of raw cotton for the 2016-17 harvest will rise by 25 percent compared to the previous harvest…
- GMO Arctic Apples to Hit Shelves Next Month Without Clear Labeling (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2kfCRc5
- Poison Fruit (The Intercept) http://bit.ly/2jY5Zbc Dow Chemical wants farmers to keep using a pesticide linked to autism and ADHD
- Ground-Breaking Animal Welfare Organic Rules Moving Forward (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2jCIeoz The proposed rules were finalized just under the wire.
- Grass-Fed Beef, Sold One Cow at a Time (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2jKM104
- 6 fascinating facts about chickens (treehugger) http://bit.ly/2jFJWmH
- EPA Ignores Risks and Expands Uses of Toxic Herbicide Enlist Duo (Beyond Pesticides) http://bit.ly/2k4ZYX1
- You May Be Eligible For A Cash Payout If You Bought Milk In This Timeframe (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2j4U9rB