- Global ‘greening’ has slowed rise of CO2 in the atmosphere, study finds (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2fmiNT8
- Study: Recent pause in the growth rate of atmospheric CO2 due to enhanced terrestrial carbon uptake (Nature) http://go.nature.com/2fCrUSK
- This Man Is Helping the Entire Country of Bhutan Go Organic (Munchies) http://bit.ly/2g7eSMC
- Cuba’s Harvest of Surprises (Craftsmanship) http://bit.ly/2gvJybd
- Meet the street that grows its own food (Medium) http://bit.ly/2emAJ3e Residents on 11 streets in an Australian town have been using verges and footpaths as gardens since 2009.
- Is that a whale floating up the Hudson? No it’s Swale. (Food Tank) http://bit.ly/2gkrX2R
- US Organic Farmland Hits Record 4.1 Million Acres in 2016 (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2fobP2e
- Organic farming in the US is now bigger than ever (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2gagguL
- Tribes Revive Indigenous Crops, An The Food Traditions That Go With Them (npr) http://n.pr/2f08ozT
- ‘Climate Tax’ on Meat and Dairy Would Sink Emissions and Diseases: Study (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2fCCTJT
- Study: Mitigation potential and global health impacts from emissions pricing of food commodities (Nature) http://go.nature.com/2eUa9L4
- For Two Decades, This Community Farm in Tennessee Has Taught People How to Grow Food Sustainably (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2fxEsq4
- What’s Organic? A Debate Over Dirt May Boil Down to Turf (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2g1RQXO
- USDA Hydroponic and Aquaponic Task Force Report (USDA) http://bit.ly/2g3o82Y
- Corporate Interests on the NOSB Wash Their Hands of Organic Soil (The Cornucopia Institute) http://bit.ly/2gkubiI
- Slinging Mud Over the Organic Label (National Geographic) http://on.natgeo.com/2eO5Pkx
- What’s So Great About Garlic? Here Are Some of Its Benefits (Organic Consumers Association) http://bit.ly/2fCyiZU
- Oklahoma voters reject right to farm amendment (abc Tulsa) http://bit.ly/2g32uhK
- Raj Patel: Developing the Syllabus for an Agroecology Course http://bit.ly/2fsvUSM Bob St. Peter, activist and farmer in northern Maine, is working on developing a syllabus for an agroecology course…
- Food School at Micmac Farms Every Friday 3pm – 5pm November 11, 2016 – April 28, 2017 Free & Open to all
- DC urban gardens bring low-cost, fresh produce to city’s food deserts (PBS News) http://to.pbs.org/2gi6jfH
- Cow Stranded After (NZ) Quake Sinks Ground Around Them (Associated Press) http://bit.ly/2eWjRvo
- Top Chef Star Tom Colicchio Thinks Trump Is in for a Huge Surprise (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2fMee4K And food workers have the might to fight back, the renowned chef said.
- America’s First All-Renewable-Energy City (Politico) http://politi.co/2fbj9ut Burlington’s decades-long commitment to sustainability has paid off with cheap electricity – and some pretty great homegrown food.
- Thanksgiving Dinner Is Getting Cheaper, As Grocery Prices Fall Again (npr) http://n.pr/2gw9zHI
- Greenland’s Getting Warmer, But Farmers There Are Struggling More Than Ever (npr) http://n.pr/2fm1yjC
- Millennials Are Loading Up On Their Vegetables (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2gKQ27d
- How This Female Chef Is Battling Sexism and Racism in the Food World (BET) http://bet.us/2fJmZw8
- The Great Potato Debate: Idaho Vs. Maine (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2fhOS1Z
- In the future, will farming be fully automated (BBC News) http://bbc.in/2gv2RPu
- 7 Things You Use Every Day That Contain Palm Oil (takepart) http://bit.ly/2gq409P
- Goodhope Asia Accused of Land Grabbing In West Papua For Palm Oil (CorpWatch) http://bit.ly/2gIJqpn
- These 10 groundbreaking restaurants changed how we dine (PBS Newshour) http://to.pbs.org/2gvGU1x
- Student-led Initiatives Aim to Promote Agriculture on US Campuses (Food Tank) http://bit.ly/2glTdhE
Food and Culture
- Displace by War, Refugees Find Hope in Their Food Culture (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2gqc3mM Can “gastro-diplomacy” close the gap between refugees and their host countries?
Hunger, Food Access & Security, Obesity & Malnutrition
- In the fight against hunger, why don’t we prioritize women? (The Hill) http://bit.ly/2gKMEta
- In a California (Salinas) Valley, Healthy Food Everywhere but on the Table (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2gBiaJc … Public health officials here describe a crisis of poverty and malnutrition among the tens of thousands of farmworkers and their families to tend to the fields…
- Climate Finance for Farmers Key to Avert One Billion Hungry (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2fKeOSq
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- What Restaurants Can Teach Us About Reducing Food Waste (Center For a Livable Future) http://bit.ly/2fAfgT8
- This Pizza Is Garbage – Literally (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2f7WoY8 No, really: It’s topped with veggies that would normally be trashed.
- Americans Wasted A Ridiculous Amount Of Turkey Over Thanksgiving (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2fFK1Db
- California Voters Saved the First Statewide Plastic Bag Ban (takepart) http://bit.ly/2fFHoVU Washington state voters rejected a carbon tax, while a fracking ban passed in Monterey County, California.
- California Upholds Landmark Plastic Bag Ban (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2f0AKWG
- This One Fact is Definitive Proof Plastic Bag Taxes in Great Britain Are Working! (One Green Planet) http://bit.ly/2g11NVp
- Conservationists herald bag tax impact on beach rubbish (BBC) http://bbc.in/2gfwEu4 The number of plastic carrier bags found on UK beaches has dropped by almost half, the Marine Conservations Society has said.
- Why Eating Cheese Is Good for Your Heart (Tasting Table) http://bit.ly/2gfw3vS
- Whatever You Do This Thanksgiving, Just DO NOT Wash Your Turkey (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2fJzx7d
Children & School Food
- Nation’s Second-Largest School District Wants to Kick McDonald’s Out (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2ff2fMQ After almost four years of McTeacher’s Night fundraisers, teachers in the greater Los Angeles area are demanding the fast-food chain stop predatory marketing toward their students.
- Wages Are Growing, But More For Some Than Others (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2f4re7o
- Walmart loses $54 million wage theft lawsuit (Daily Kos) http://bit.ly/2gkDIqf
- Judge blocks Obama rule extending overtime pay to 4.2 million US workers (Reuters) http://reut.rs/2fm2Y2p
- Judge Effectively Kills Rule Forcing Employers to Disclose Anti-Union Deliberations (The Wall Street Journal) http://on.wsj.com/2fFEDjq Labor Department issued regulation in March but it was blocked by judge before going into effect
- How Food-Labor Activists Are Preparing for President Trump (takepart) http://bit.ly/2geImpz With a national minimum wage hike likely off the table, activists are focused on local policies and expanding union ranks.
- Food Workers Scramble to Put Food on Their Tables (National Geographic) http://on.natgeo.com/2fWooPy
- The Photos That Helped End Child Labor in the United States (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2fZ10lT
- Migrant Farm Workers: Our Nation’s Invisible Population (Extension) http://bit.ly/2gh2U42
- Farmworkers on Edge After Trump Elected President (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/2fFKSoz
- What if the US Really Did Deport 11 Million People? (The Nation) http://bit.ly/2fxn8W4 A case study of New York’s Hudson Valley, where immigrants – with and without documents – have brought once-dead towns back to life
- Did Slave Labor Produce Your Favorite (South African) Wine? (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2g1kzM0
- Need Some Good News? We Have Some From Maine and Arizona. (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2eFNOQp Tipped workers in Maine and Flagstaff, Arizona, will no longer be forced to work for poverty wages.
- Our Food System Relies on Immigrants. Here’s How One Waiter Is Coping With Trump’’s Election (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2gvtR1e “I’m afraid, I’m terrified.”
- Why Are the Residents of This Small Village So Happy? They’re Managing Their Farmland as Commons (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2fxFeU0 Their fundamental premise is that the value of farmland lies in its contribution to food production, lasting ecosystems and human life – not financial gain.
- A Navajo Chef Gives A Glimpse Inside The Makeshift Kitchens At Standing Rock (npr) http://n.pr/2fj7Ss7
- These Chefs Are Preparing a Thanksgiving Feast at Standing Rock (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2gsv8ZB
- Workers Across US ‘Fight For $15’ In Strikes For Wage Hikes (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2gHpor2
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- World’s Largest Food Service Companies Make Historic Animal Welfare Announcement (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2fiwAxK
- 4 generations of family keep Russianville (IN) grocery thriving (SF Chronicle) http://bit.ly/2fsNk0u
- This Organic Food Company Doesn’t Discriminate Against Ex-Offenders – It Seeks Them Out (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2guZdFh
- Danish supermarket selling expired food opens second branch (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2g7a61G
- Big Ag Asked Congress for Taxpayers to Fund Public Education About GMOs (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2eLwAnL Congress should instead allocate funding to support regenerative agriculture that leads to food security and carbon reductions.
- Deforestation Opponents Enlist Powerful Ally: Big Food. But There’s A Catch (npr) http://n.pr/2fzaa7z
- Black Farmers Shut Out Of $10 Billion Medical Marijuana Business (Black Enterprise) http://bit.ly/2gsFCYY
- Where Does That Extra Money Spent On A Local Turkey Really Go? (takepart) http://bit.ly/2fAIQrJ
- Will Our Food be Safe Under Trump? (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2gfpA4h
Water & Our Oceans
- Oklahoma (5.0) Earthquake Shows Fracking’s Potential for “Serious Harm” (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2fCG8Rr
- Oil and Gas Industry Ensnarled in Spate of Oklahoma Earthquakes (NBC News) http://nbcnews.to/2fWl3QB
- Doctors speak out: For the sake of Human health ban fracking (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2eZsEBK
- Report: Compedium of Scientific, Medical, and Media Findings Demonstrating Risks and Harms Of Fracking (Concerned Health Professionals of NY) http://bit.ly/2fLjfNp
- Maui Models Eco-Future by Electing Native Hawaiian Water Protector in Stunning Upset (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2gsqGGi
- Michigan residents deplore plan to let Nestlé pump water for next to nothing (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2fDISMy
- This Major City’s Drinking Water Was Fine. Then Came the Private Water Company. (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2fh0xu0 They will come in, rape your water company, and leave with money bags.
- Oil from BP spill has officially entered the food chain (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2gabv4m
- Octopus in the parking garage is climate change’s canary in the coal mine (Miami Herald) http://hrld.us/2gyirgY
- Oil Drilling in the Artic Ocean and off the Atlantic Coast has been blocked (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2fkVoUa
- A Belated Thanksgiving: The Atlantic Ocean Is healing Itself (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2guAMHU … In an astonishingly short eight years, as a result of tougher emission rules on power plants and declining use of coal, concentrations or mercury in Atlantic Bluefin tuna, the sushi sort, dropped by 19 percent…
- The Plastic Polluting the Oceans Smells Like Lunch to Marine Life (takepart) http://bit.ly/2fp77m5
- Burning Less Coal Means Less Mercury In Your Tuna (takepart) http://bit.ly/2goYWCA
- Nations Agree To Establish World’s Largest Marine Reserve In Antarctica (NPR) http://n.pr/2emBtFA
- Slovenia adds water to constitution as fundamental right for all (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2fNvBC6 Parliament adopts amendment that declares country’s abundant clean supplies are ‘a public good managed by the state’ and ‘not a market commodity’
- Concerned Over Growing Power of Big Ag, State Joining DOJ Probes of Mega-Mergers (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2fmmsjA Dow-DuPont and Bayer-Monsanto mergers will face additional scrutiny as they seek to consolidate global GMO/pesticide industry
- FDA Suspends Testing for Glyphosate Residue (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2fiDX89
- Fall 2016 NOSB Meeting Recap: Carrageenan, Excluded Methods, Hydroponics, Facebook Live Interviews (Living Maxwell) http://bit.ly/2fR5koU
- Trump’s Top Food Guy Just Abruptly Quit (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2eRJZMY The reason? He wanted to spend more time on his lobbying business.
- Trump’s Head Food Guy Delivers for Little Caesars on the Side (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2g475Aj It’s like Michael Torrey was sent from central casting.
- Local Governments Can Prohibit GE Crops, Says US Court of Appeals (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2gq9zVz The court recognized potential harm to farmers and environment from the widespread planting of GE crops.
- State (MI) appeals judge’s order to deliver water to flint homes (abc 12 Flint) http://bit.ly/2fob1rj
- Nestlé’s permit to pump more water almost went unnoticed. State now says full public review coming (Michigan Radio) http://bit.ly/2fszJWM
- Six States Fail to Block Landmark California Farm Animal Protection Law (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2fxBfan A lawsuit tried to force California to sell factory farm eggs from states where hens were cruelly treated.
- Chicago Will Now Tax Sugary Drinks (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2eQKwx8 The Windy City joins Philadelphia, Berkeley, San Francisco, Oakland, and Boulder to slap a levy on sodas.
- The science is in: the case for a sugar tax is overwhelming (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2ghEzuz
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- US approves 2 types of genetically engineered potatoes (Yahoo!) https://yhoo.it/2fFIxtW
- Local governments can prohibit GE crops, says US court of appeals (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2fyJL9U
- Sonoma County voters pass Measure M, ban on GMOs (The Press Democrat) http://bit.ly/2fAVxRR
- Sonoma County voter success leads to largest GMO-free zone in US (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2eZVEJt
- Voters in This Florida County Just Approved GM Mosquitoes to Fight Zika (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2fxcTBa
- Lab-made meat startup Memphis Meats hope to grow a Thanksgiving turkey (Tech Crunch) http://tcrn.ch/2gr2pEo
- Alarming levels of glyphosate found in popular American foods (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2gc9LMM
- Study: Glyphosate: Unsafe On Any Plate (The Detox Project) http://bit.ly/2gddCJ0 Food testing results and scientific reasons for concern
- California marijuana would fail Oregon’s standards, study finds (SF Chronicle) http://bit.ly/2fJrd6L California’s cannabis products fail largely due to the use of the pesticide myclobutanal, which can turn into toxic hydrogen cyanide during combustion.
- Trumps Top Environmental Adviser Says Pesticides Aren’t Bad for You (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2ghxTOn In addition to not believing in climate change, Myron Ebell has several other lovely qualities.
- How You Can Help Save The Bees – Even In Winter (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2gHUEKF
- Court fails to protect bees from toxic pesticides (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2fFZXZb
- Scientists propose ten policies to protect vital pollinators (Science Daily) http://bit.ly/2fzrqZh
- Massachusetts Voters Pass Historic Animal Protection Law (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2fp1Ze8 Millions of animals will be spared from suffering.
- Introducing… the Vegan/Omnivore Alliance against Animal Factories (grist) http://bit.ly/2fYYKu5
- It’s a Good Idea to Eat a Rare Bird on Thanksgiving (takepart) http://bit.ly/2fTKiTU Heritage turkeys have recovered from near extinction thanks to the work of people like Jessica Isbrecht.
- Look How Much Bigger Thanksgiving Turkey Than in the 1930’s (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2g19QkT And not just bigger – they’re also sicker.
- Too-Real Photos Of Live Turkeys That’ll ruin Thanksgiving Dinner (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2geJAS1