- How does your garden grow? (University of California) http://bit.ly/2cIXU7R
- 15 Ways Urban Farming Can Revitalize a Neighborhood – and Help Farmers Too (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2cgfQGW What if farms and food production were integrated into every aspect of urban living?
- Time to Drive Factory Farmed Food off the Market (Organic Consumers Association) http://bit.ly/2crt3dR
- Why In The World Are Peaches Fuzzy, Anyway? (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2bTmVXJ
- Helping farmers improve air quality (University of California) http://bit.ly/2bSgskG
- Coming Soon: The Female Farmer Project Podcast (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2crE8vP
- Cage-Free, Free-Range, Pasture-Raised Organic Eggs: An Egg-ucation (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2c1bAbi
- Why Can’t Infants Eat Egg Whites? (SF Chronicle) http://bit.ly/2c1UOf1
- Sierra magazine names UC campuses among the nation’s greenest (University of California) http://bit.ly/2cGjFE9
- How a native plant ended up on reality TV, and why it’s at risk (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2cd7ZXA
- Football, farming and food security (University of California) http://bit.ly/2cd57db
- From rikwachh to fulouri, the lost pakodas of India (The Indian Express) http://bit.ly/2cHcFqm
- Visiting Iceland’s Food and Farming Community (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2c86SKH
- New Report Highlights Successes and Opportunities for Growth in Organic Research (National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition) http://bit.ly/2c3907F
- Report: Taking Stock: Analyzing and Reporting Organic Research Investments, 2002 – 2014 (Organic Farming Research Foundation) http://bit.ly/2cHlNLF
- History of Langer Khana (mta TV) http://bit.ly/2cn8R9E A Langar Khana is the place in Sufi Dergah where free food called Langar is distributed to all, and where food is prepared to be given to the poor.
- Recipes from Langars (Vikas Khanna) http://bit.ly/2c8d1F8
Hunger, Food Access & Insecurity, Obesity & Malnutrition
- Good news: US Household food security improves! (Food Politics) http://bit.ly/2chr4IW
- Ketchup Sandwiches and Other Things Stupid Poor People Eat (Medium) http://bit.ly/2cDtFvK
- This Vietnamese Agriculture Startup Is Sparking A Food Safety Movement (Forbes) http://bit.ly/2bZUwUW
Children & School Food
- No juice boxes: Green school lays down lunch law (Toronto Star) http://on.thestar.com/2cnIILi It’s about time!
- The World’s Biggest School Meal Program Is Keeping Local Farms in Business (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2cgIRjh Emphasizing local food under a radical policy of “zero hunger,” Brazil’s school lunch initiative helps small farmers buy the land they’ve been farming for generations.
- Advocate for free school lunches will make pitch on Price Edward Island (Canadian Broadcast Corp) http://bit.ly/2ct7EQ6 PEI Home and School gets some big help in its push for Island-wide free lunch program
- Unpaid Labor in Texas Prisons Is Modern-Day Slavery (turthout) http://bit.ly/2cnWkX0
- You’re How Old? We’ll Be in Touch (New York Times) http://nyti.ms/2bRxx9L Ageism in the workplace is toxic, and it hurts everyone.
- Hawaiian seafood caught by foreign crews confined on boats (Associated Press) http://apne.ws/2cg980s
- McDonald’s and the global revolution of fast food workers (The Conversation) http://bit.ly/2cmFQwT
- About 50 years ago, 14 million Americans stopped eating grapes – for a very good reason. (upworthy) http://u.pw/2c2cOQm The 1970s grape boycotts and the UFW…
- Lipton Workers Vote to Unionize: “Everyone just got tired of it” (In These Times) http://bit.ly/2cGl8qV … They voted, 108–79, in an election held by the National Labor Relations Board on August 26. More than 200 workers at the plant, which makes nearly all of the Lipton Tea sold in North America, will now be represented by United Food and Commercial Workers Local 400.
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- (Monsanto) Whistle-Blower: $22 Million Richer, but Not Satisfied (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2cQJtgW
- Plastics industry pushing to halt bag-ban momentum (SF Chronicle) http://bit.ly/2cjBFzH
- 13 Academics Who Have Become Shills for Corporate Giants in the Food, Agrochemical and Fossil Fuel Industries (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2c6rh2K
- Bayer sweetens Monsanto bid as talks enter final stretch (Reuters) http://reut.rs/2c8YTKz
- Coca-Cola Is Getting Into The Bottle Coffee Game (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2bVnqQY Soda sales are down, while coffee and tea drink sales are growing…
- Burger King has unleashed an absurd new weapon in the fast-food wars (SF Chronicle) http://bit.ly/2cz4JZf
- How Food Helps Homeless People Get Back on Their Feet (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2cJJu33 The Doe Fund housing and job training program in New York City expands its food-related opportunities. I worked on these programs when I was with the Doe Fund, Inc. in 2003 & 2004…
- 6 Ways We’re Already Leading an Economic Revolution (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2cstHX6 From the “buy local” movement to public banking, we’re well on our way to amore democratic, cooperative, and people-centered economy.
- ‘A Call to End Slavery’: Nationwide Prison Strike Kicks Off (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2c8lV5m ‘When we remove the economic motive and grease of our forced labor from the US prison system, the entire structure… must shift to accommodate us as humans’
- Animal-rights activists disrupt Chez Panisse service (Berkleyside) http://bit.ly/2cm8UVG
- There’s A Shockingly High Chance The Seafood You’re Eating Isn’t Legit (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2cefM86
- Maryland Woman Arrested For Stealing 3 French Fries From A Police Officer (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2cWNlgl Hands off my taters!
Water & Our Oceans
- A Whistle-Blower Accuses the Kochs of “Poisoning” an Arkansas Town (The New Yorker) http://bit.ly/2cmtAMd
- Seaweed Not Green Enough, UN Researchers Warn (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2cG2IcS
- Threat of Salmon Extinction Turns Small Tribe Into Climate Researchers (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2ccTxfO As glaciers disappear, fish are expected to follow. But the Nooksack tribe of Washington state has a plan to keep nearby rivers and streams cool.
- As Oceans Continue to Warm, Consequences Grow More Dire, Study Says (Inside Climate News) http://bit.ly/2cJFALK
- Study: Explaining ocean warming (International Union for Conservation of Nature) http://bit.ly/2cdL663
- Toxic Slime Spreads Across World’s Ocean as Climate Disruption Continues Apace (truthout) http://bit.ly/2cIhufK
- France to Ban Single-Use Plastic Cups, Plates and Cutlery by 2020 (One Green Planet) http://bit.ly/2czo0G1
- Court Rules Consumers and Farmers Can Sue USDA for Weakening Standard that Allows Synthetics in Organic (Beyond Pesticides) http://bit.ly/2c6tJ9o The ruling fends off one of several recent attacks to the integrity of the organic label.
- Dakota Pipeline Was Approved by Army Corps Over Objections of Three Federal Agencies (Inside Climate News) http://bit.ly/2bWkZ0u Sioux tribe’s concerns were echoed in official reports b the EPA and two other agencies, but Army Corps of Engineers brushed them aside.
- US Bans Common Chemicals in Antibacterial Soaps (Scientific American) http://bit.ly/2c07RN0
- This Creepy Banned Chemical Is Still in Absolutely Everything (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2ch3bOj Including socks, mouse pads, toothpastes, and socks. Oh, and hospitals.
- Washing Our Hands of Toxins (Other Words) http://bit.ly/2ccWYmp The bacteria on your skin is safer than these two chemicals the FDA just banned from your soap.
- California farmworker overtime bill signed by Jerry Brown (The Sacramento Bee) http://bit.ly/2cIcSGx
- Judge Strikes Down Plan to Open One Million Acres of California Public Lands to Drilling (Desmog) http://bit.ly/2czCc4k
- Berkeley put a tiny tax on soda. Consumption plummeted by 21 percent. (Vox) http://bit.ly/2czoL4t
GMOs / Cloning / Synthetic Biology / Nanotechnology / Food Technology
- Toxic Shock: The Monsanto Doctrine and GMO-free Farming (SF Weekly) http://bit.ly/2crClH7
- Vandana Shiva: Monsanto and the Poisonous Cartel of GMOs in India (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2cSy9xC
- As lab-grown meat and milk inch closer to US market, industry wonders who will regulate? (Science) http://bit.ly/2cAKaqY
- Digested: The Clean and Dirty of Lab-Grown Meat (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2cxi5lz
- Neonicotinoids: How Pesticide Giants Influence Research on Bee Impact (Greenpeace) http://bit.ly/2cd4iBb
- The Coming Bee-pocalypse? Collateral Damage o Mosquito Spraying (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2cmqdpG Pesticides used for mosquitoes are killing bees in huge numbers.
- The Cage-Free Movement to Liberate Hens From Extreme Confinement Sweeps Across Latin America (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2crehnm The cage-free momentum, which began with nearly 200 major US food companies, is rapidly spreading around the world.
- 6 Facts About Chicken That Will Make You Seriously Rethink Your Dinner (takepart) http://bit.ly/2c61gQW
- UC Food Observer: Gatherings We’re Interested In http://bit.ly/2cbyr4v
- 1st Annual Farm Tank Summit, Sacramento, CA; September 22, 2016 http://bit.ly/29l9Ncv
- 5th National Women in Sustainable Agriculture Conference, Portland, OR; November 30 – December 2, 2016 http://2016wisa.org/
- Farmer Veteran Coalition. 2016 Stakeholder Conference: United We Farm; Michigan State University; November 30 – December 2, 2016 http://www.farmvetco.org/fvsc/
- Food On The Edge Conference: The Future Of Food October 24 – 25, 2016 Galway, Ireland http://www.foodontheedge.ie/index.html
- Organic farming and garden training program accepts applications in 50th year (University of California) http://bit.ly/2cgGVYl
- Cal Ag Journal Issues Call For Papers on Food System (UC Food Observer) http://bit.ly/2bYcTdU