- Hmong American Farmers Association (HAFA) farm wins 2016 Farm Family of the Year (Hastings Star Gazette) http://bit.ly/2bbZH1L HAFA Farm, a 155-acre research and incubator farm in Vermillion township, is being honored as a 2016 Farm Family of the Year by the University of Minnesota.
- ‘I will never give up my land’ (New Internationalist) http://bit.ly/2b6kkOH
- At Pie Ranch, Food Justice & Collaboration Draw Youth Together (ecology center) http://bit.ly/2bWmHoD
- The Movement to Define Native American Cuisine (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2b4DjGi
- Here’s What the World’s Top Chefs Are Making at the Olympics (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2aSW6Zp Mouthwatering food makes its way to a lively neighborhood in Rio.
- Celebrity Chefs Turn Wasted Olympic Food Into Meals for Homeless (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2brbeba
- The Last of the Arabbers (Eater) http://bit.ly/2aXG2zX
- How farms can heal forests – or even make them (grist) http://bit.ly/2bd7ayn
- We Haven’t Been Seeing the Farms for the Trees (University of Washington Conservation Magazine) http://bit.ly/2bJR3qZ
- Here’s One Big Reason to Avoid Avocado Toast (Grub Street) http://grb.st/2blgttE
- How Your Guacamole May be Killing Butterflies in Mexico (AlterNet) In the mountains of Michoacan, farmers have illegally destroyed swathes of forest to make room for lucrative avocado farms.
- Why the African American museum’s food focus will go beyond soul (The Washington Post) http://wapo.st/2bA2Zyv
- Naomi Starkman Doesn’t Think We Can Disrupt the Human Nature of Food (Edible Manhattan) http://bit.ly/2aYKG3g … we need to be more thoughtful about the food – and ag-tech we actually need.
- How the Soviets helped America’s craft beef revolution (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2bcmVVi
- Trump announces farm and rural advisory team (AgriPulse) http://bit.ly/2aYseed It’s all about big ag…
- Trump’s Ag Czar Runs His Business Like Herbalife (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2bJzXbN
- A Trip To America’s Farm-To-Fork Capital (UC Food Observer) http://bit.ly/2aZutIx
- ‘Because the river told me’ (New Internationalist) http://bit.ly/2bC9kW1
- India set a record by planting 50 million trees in one day (grist) http://bit.ly/2b6L9Ug
- Mapping Jewish Culture Through 200 Years of Cookbooks (CityLab) http://bit.ly/2bH1TNv
- Nourishing Tradition: Jewish Cookbooks and Stories they Tell (Center for Jewish History) http://bit.ly/2bsCfuU
- Farmer Olympics in Petaluma: From compost shoveling to watermelon tossing (The Press Democrat) http://bit.ly/2bEZPoX
- Mexico’s Zapatista Movement May Offer Solutions to Neoliberal Threat to Global Food Security (truthdig) http://bit.ly/2bIrTJ6
Hunger, Food Access & Insecurity, Obesity & Malnutrition
- Nigeria Emergency (UN World Food Program) http://bit.ly/2bgPnED
- Welfare Reform is 20 Years Old and It’s Worse Than You Can Imagine (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2bHSbtM
- Why This Food Bank is Turning Away Junk Food (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2bxyGHO D.C.’s Capital Area Food Bank will no longer accept candy, soda, or sheet cake beginning September 1st.
- Seaweed Is Helping Bring Food Security to South America (takepart) http://bit.ly/2bFvpmY
- Some Online Grocery Companies Are About to Start Taking ‘Food Stamps’ (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2ba56t8 This spring, the USDA is expected to launch a pilot that will allow a limited number of internet food delivery services to start accepting SNAP payments.
- US Soldiers Are Relying on Millions of Dollars in Food Stamps to Survive (truthout) http://bit.ly/2biZZ4C
- Eating Pasta Does Not Cause Obesity, Italian Study Finds (Time) http://ti.me/2btzBJQ
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Ampleharvest.org Connects Gardeners With Those In Need (UC Observer) http://bit.ly/2bwzERH
- New App Lets You Buy Leftover Restaurant Food at a Discount (Mental Floss) http://bit.ly/2b8znrd
- In US, only half are aware of food waste as a problem (Boston Globe) http://bit.ly/2bIepgJ
- Americans Are Gorging on Meat in Amounts Not Seen in Decades (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2bxA8KQ
- Americans Are Eating More Meat, But Not For The Reasons You Might Think (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2b8q06u Experts say an oversupply of chicken, not increased demand, is to blame.
- The Chopped Salad Super Craze: How Good Is It for You? (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2bPoQB3
- Why You Should Treat Your Employees Like Your Most Loyal Customers (Fast Company) http://bit.ly/2b6vOlo
- Mark Wahlberg’s Burger Chain Is Being Sued Fro Unpaid Wages (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2bIcWFY
- Famous Restaurant Chain (Darden) Busted in Elaborate Scam to Rip Off Workers (US Uncut) http://bit.ly/2bdPWPw
- Why Your Employer Really Wants To Pay You With A Prepaid Debit Card (Business Insider) http://read.bi/2bHCkg4
- Convention For The 64 Million Americans Paid Less Than $15/Hour (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2bkyJav
- Minimum Wage Activists Turn Their Focus To The South (Buzz Feed) http://bzfd.it/2btTRIA The Fight for 15 movement says it will push to raise the minimum wage in the states and cities of the “former Confederacy.”
- McDonalds Could Be Held Liable For Franchise Wage Theft, Federal Judge Rules (The District Sentinel New Co-op) http://bit.ly/2b6hkDh
- Fruits of labor: sunny California is no paradise for farm workers (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2bzLNth The bucolic fields of southern California entice many families for a ‘pick your own’ day out, but it’s a very different reality for those working under the sun
- Farmworers’ sexual harassment cases leading to notable payouts (Reveal) http://bit.ly/2b7v7Hf
- A Business Owner’s Legal Guide To Cooperative Conversion (SELC, Co-Op Law) http://bit.ly/2bvr9Jc Including conversion models, case studies, and sample documents
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- US Importers Bought About 44,900 Tons organic Corn From Romania (Successful Farming) http://bit.ly/1sn8BPM
- How the Corporate Food Industry Is Taking Desperate Steps to Fight Animal Reforms (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2bhfWK1 The worst offenders claim factory farming is “green.”
- Syngenta shares jump after US clears ChemChina deal (BBC News) http://bbc.in/2bAJF2y Shares in Swiss agribusiness group Syngenta have risen 12% after its takeover by ChemChina was given the go-ahead by the US regulator.
- Disputed Coca-Cola Plant Shut Down in India: Deteriorating Groundwater Conditions Lead to Closure (India Resource Center) http://bit.ly/2bvfSto Over exploited ground water, denying the community and farmers their right to water, ground water contamination…
- 20% of Coca-Cola Company Owned Plants Closed in India (India Resource Center) http://bit.ly/2bnQiEW
- McDonald’s feeble attempt to encourage walking is short-lived (grist) http://bit.ly/2bmc8sA
- Healthy Snack Invented on Indian Reservation Now Faces Stiff Corporate Competition (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2bd3gSH
- High-tech quinoa bowl restaurant Eatsa opens near campus (The Daily Californian, University of California) http://bit.ly/2b8zUVc
- Hampton Creek, Maker of Just Mayo, Is Said to Be Under Inquiry (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2blCaME
- Are Rotisserie Chickens a Bargain? (Pricenomics) http://bit.ly/2aXZ2E8
- Companies Could Make Money By Helping Consumers Go Green (University of Washington Conservation Magazine) http://bit.ly/2bHjlB9
- Study: Online purchasing creates opportunities to lower the life cycle carbon footprints of consumer products (Proceedings of the nation Academy of Sciences of the United States of America) http://bit.ly/2bxptxr
- Food Advertising Can Change Brain Activity in Kids (takepart) http://bit.ly/2bFwbjA Businesses spend $2 billion a year marketing unhealthy foods directly to children.
- Here’s How Many Hours You Ned to Work to Pay Rent in Every State (US Uncut) http://bit.ly/2bvfFWX
- Map: The Most Common* Job In Every State (NPR) http://n.pr/2baAHs0
- 350,000 People Call on Gov. Brown to Stop Irrigating Crops With Oil Wastewater (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2bcbU6d
- Strategize, organize… Take Action! Wendy’s Boycott Summit to set the stage for huge 2016-17 season ahead (CIW) http://bit.ly/2bFpYUI
- 9 Times You’ve Probably Been A Victim Of Food Fraud (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2bIc4SL
- Is that food fake or real? One man wants to help us learn how to tell the difference. (Boston Globe) http://bit.ly/2baxBEg
Water & Our Oceans
- Does Offshore Fracking Put Endangered Species at Risk? (truthout) http://bit.ly/2b8pxns
- Yellowstone fish deaths: 183 miles of river closed to halt spread of parasite (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2b742VR
- Tap Water Is Clearly Better Than Bottled Water – Here’s Why (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2byKyJt Americans spend $12 billion on bottled water each year when they could be drinking from the tap for free.
- Indiana Lawmaker: East Chicago Lead Problem Mirrors Flint Crisis (CBS Chicago) http://cbsloc.al/2btDz1x Ban on all fishing, rafting and other river activities in the US river will remain until fish stop dying, say officials
- This Region Is Twice Flint’s Size – And Its Water Is Also Poisoned (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2bBoDS1 California’s agriculture boom means nitrate-tainted water for a least 212,000 people.
- Economic Analysis of the 2016 California Drought for Agriculture (UC Davis Center for Watershed Sciences) http://bit.ly/2aVklzZ
- Why the heck isn’t drought-stricken California measuring water? (grist) http://bit.ly/2bL0oRn
- How Nestlé Gets Away With Pumping California’s Water for Next to Nothing (Los Angeles Magazine) http://bit.ly/2bljyh5 The company pulls millions of gallons from a nearby creek – while paying an annual fee that’s lower than some gym memberships
- When in drought: the California farmers who don’t water their crops (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2bo5u2u
- Vote of a lifetime: Alaskan town decides whether to stay or go in face of climate change (Reveal) http://bit.ly/2bA1PDc
- Your Favorite Fish Could Be In Danger Of Being Overeaten (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2bDRN41 “If you want to see tuna around for your children, you should probably stop eating so much of it.”
- All Caviar Is Expensive – but It’s Not All Sustainable (takepart) http://bit.ly/2b8TSlP The wild beluga sturgeon is endangered, but US aquaculture provides delicious alternatives.
- Holding Monsanto to Account: the Peoples Tribunal in the Hague (Counter Punch) http://bit.ly/2aZ7Ghz
- Italy Proposal to jail vegans who impose diet on children (BBC) http://bbc.in/2blmER3
- Parents who feed children vegan diet face prosecution under proposed Italian law (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2bE9sIV
- The world is getting better at paid maternity leave. The US is not. (SunSentinel) http://bit.ly/2aPdw7R
- Subsidizing Waste: How Inefficient US Farming Policy Costs Taxpayers, Businesses, and Farmers Billions (Union of Concerned Scientists) http://bit.ly/2b805uY
- Report: Subsidizing Waste (Union of Concerned Scientists) http://bit.ly/2bF4RC9
- USDA Reports: Americans’ Eating Patterns and More (UC Food Observer) http://bit.ly/2bpYjqq
- EPA scolded for failing to turn in its very important ethanol homework (grist) http://bit.ly/2bcqE4w
- Cashing in on Cellulosic Ethanol: Subsidy Loophole Set to Rescue Corn Biofuel Profits (Independent Science News) http://bit.ly/2bAnCJh
- Decried as Unfair, Taxes on Groceries Persist in Some States (Stateline) http://bit.ly/2bfNkiO
- More States Lift Welfare Restrictions for Drug Felons (Stateline) http://bit.ly/2bafL4T
- The Nightmare Continues: California’s Broken Child Care Subsidies System (truthout) http://bit.ly/2bqxQeN
- When a City Passes a Soda Tax, Who Pays? (takepart) http://bit.ly/2b6MCK0 Taxes are levied against beverage distributors – but if the costs aren’t passed along to consumers, the policies don’t work.
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- UC Davis Sued for Failing to Release Public Records on GMOs and Pesticides (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2bCU4be
- How the GE Food Venture Has Been Chronically Dependent on Deception (Independent Science News) http://bit.ly/2bxblo1
- Millions Spent, No One Served: Who Is To Blame for the Failure of GMO Golden Rice? (Independent Science News) http://bit.ly/2aXLlPQ
- Iowa Processor Introduces “Non-GMO” Pork (KOEL Iowa) http://bit.ly/2bOPPN7
- Monsanto Just Made a Massive Mistake (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2by6yme One of its weed killers (dicamba) seems to be wiping out valuable crops, too. Ooops.
- Monsanto’s new GMO soybeans are making a hot mess for farmers (grist) http://bit.ly/2br9yhT
- Souped-Up Weedkilling Robot Could Make Monsanto’s Toxic Herbicides Obsolete (March Against Monsanto) http://bit.ly/2bpb0C8
- Methyl Bromide Is Out. What’s Next For California’s Strawberry Industry? (UC Food Observer) http://bit.ly/2bzdxNr
- Holding Monsanto Accountable for Growing Public Outcry Over the Danger of Glyphosate (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2b8XLVa
- Cottoning On To The Importance Of Pollinators (University of Washington Conservation Magazine) http://bit.ly/2bJ2ka4
- ‘Bee-Friendly’ Gardens Are Finally Becoming Safe for Bees (takepart) http://bit.ly/2b6Wnql
- Controversial Pesticides Threaten Not Just Bees, But Butterflies, Too (University of Washington Conservation Magazine) http://bit.ly/2bZiccL
- Study: Increasing neonicotinoid use and declining butterfly fauna of lowland California (The Royal Society Publishing) http://bit.ly/2b9TQND
- Britain’s wildlife ‘crisis’ with more than 120 species at risk of extinction due to intensive farming (The Telegraph) http://bit.ly/2bIVrpk
- Animal intelligence has been widely underestimated, says primatologist Frans de Waal (The Washington Post) http://wapo.st/2bvwQrJ
- Here’s Proof That the Humane Treatment of Farm Animals Is Now a Mainstream Issue (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2bxS4VO Less than a decade ago, not one of the nation’s major newspapers opposed the cruel confinement of animals on factory farms. Today, virtually all of them do.
- Whipped, kicked, beaten: Illinois workers describe abuse of hogs (Chicago Tribune) http://trib.in/2bJyJNX
- Save the Chicken (Slate) http://slate.me/2bEpXA4 A few decades ago, no one cared abut chicken welfare. Now all our eggs are about to be cage-free. Why?