- Portland’s First Food Hub Brings The Farm To A Bigger Table (Fast Co.) http://bit.ly/2aYccgW
- Indigenous Foods Foraging in North Dakota Hosted by ‘The Sioux Chef’ (Grubhub) http://bit.ly/2bjHUVK
- Native Plants Boost Local Diets in El Salvador (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2bdPJix
- MayaNut Institute http://mayanutinstitute.org/
- Love The Fig (The New Yorker) http://bit.ly/2aMHp8R
- 100 years ago, people were eating things that most of us will never taste. So what happened? (Upworthy) http://u.pw/2bdTbbE Where did all the seeds go?
- So, what is Sustainable Agriculture? (Sustainable Food & Farming at UMass Amherst) http://bit.ly/2b63yuN
- Can we feed 10 billion people on organic farming alone? (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2br87lz
- Special Report: US Organic Farming Hotspots – An Opportunity for Rural communities? (Food First) http://bit.ly/2aPVUEA
- Marijuana Plants Vie for the Blue Ribbon at the Oregon State Fair (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aT8q5A
- This Is Where Chocolate Comes From (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2aU6f2H The bean to bar experience actually starts with a pod.
- Mexico Has is Own Wine Country – And It’s Amazing (Bloomberg) http://bloom.bg/2bhlO5q
- The Countertop “Nanofarm” Automatically Grows Vegetables In your Kitchen (Fast Co.) http://bit.ly/2b785BI Don’t have the time or space to garden? Plantable can give you fresh greens on your countertop.
- The goats who help keep Congressional Cemetery clean (CNN) http://cnn.it/2bebPAC
- Early warning – early action analysis for potential La Niña in 2016 – 2017 (FAO) http://bit.ly/2aKBrnr
- Donald Trump’s Newest (Ag) Adviser Once Compared Syrian Refugees to Rattlesnakes (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2aB4qeL Texas ag commissioner Sid Miller, the latest addition to Trump’s food and farms team, is a real character.
- Building Soil From Scratch, Two Brothers Embark on Urban Farming Odyssey (seestock) http://bit.ly/2aZSEK4
- Urban Farms: The New Frontier For Female Farmers (Citi Io) http://bit.ly/2aLWANX
- Growing Hops in Abandoned Lots? Pittsburgh Will Drink To That (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aUmUZ9
- What Is a Personal Food Computer? (The Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/2bd4Fxn A farm the size of a desktop could change the way we grow food in cities
- Lack in a Land of Plenty: Advocates Seed Solutions in Food Deserts (Equal Voice) http://bit.ly/2aHIpXn
- Your Guacamole Is Hurting Mexican Forests (ThinkProgress) http://bit.ly/2bgFtn7
- Can hipsters stomach the unpalatable truth about avocado toast? (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2bmbqdu
- Did Deforestation Contribute to Zika’s Spread? (The Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/2aQMHBB Evidence is growing that deforestation causes disease outbreaks by changing animal carriers’ behavior.
- Forest and Crops Make Friendly Neighbors in Costa Rica (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2aSR5Ma
- Early Agriculture Nearly Tanked Ancient Europe’s Population (The Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/2aR7AK0
- Meet The Michelin Starred Chef Who Only Charges $.50 Per Meal (Good Food) http://bit.ly/2aUiQIf The significance of cheap Cantonese street food earning a Michelin star goes beyond just the price tag
- A street vendor in Singapore is being recognized as one of the best chefs in the world. (Upworthy) http://u.pw/2aJORBF
- World’s largest vertical farm grows without soil, sunlight or water in Newark (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2aUy90T AeroFarms has put $30 million into a green revolution that seeks to produce more crops in less space, but whether it’s economically viable is an open question
- The 11 Best Farmers Markets In The World (Good Food) http://bit.ly/2bhLFK4
- This Guy’s Going to Paddle an 800 Pound Pumpkin – For a World Record & a Good Cause (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2brhlNI
Hunger, Food Access & Insecurity, Obesity & Malnutrition
- India: Chronic Hunger Lingers in the Midst of Plenty (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2aRDetF Despite being one of the biggest grain producers of the world, India lags behind on food security with nearly 25% of its population going to bed hungry.
- Rio 2016: International chefs cooking surplus Olympic food for city’s poorest residents (The Independent) http://ind.pn/2bdQR4F
- What the World’s Top Chefs Are Making at the Olympics (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2aSW6Zp Mouthwatering food makes its way to a lively neighborhood in Rio.
- A Tale of Two Pigeon Peas: Bill Gates’ failing Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (Food First) http://bit.ly/2aQ7uzm For a decade, Bill Gates – the quintessential technocrat – has been trying to end hunger in Africa by re-launching (yet again) the Green Revolution…
- Twenty Years After Welfare Reform: Reflections and Recommendations from Those Who Were There (Shriver Center) http://bit.ly/2bfA8fB Since welfare reform, extreme childhood poverty has skyrocketed
- Arkansas Farmers Are Fighting Hunger With Sustainable Meat and Dairy (takepart) http://bit.ly/2b3RoDl Heifer International, known for fighting food insecurity around the globe, is doing work here in the US too.
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Instead of Getting Trashed, Uneaten Airline Food Is Feeding the Hungry (takepart) http://bit.ly/2aLS3hd An Australian organization collects uneaten meals and donates them to local charities.
- App Lets You Buy Leftover Food From Restaurants Ad It’s Rally Cheap (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2aP0VQk It’s keeping perfectly edible food out of landfills.
- This Beer Is Made From Old Bread (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2aMU0Vh And it’s coming to the US soon.
- The Dirty Truth About Cold-Pressed Juice (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2biVBDB
- These Sates Waste The Most Groceries And Restaurant Meals (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2btnXfs
- Hospital RDs Defend Patient Meals Containing Doritos and Oreos (Weighty Matters) http://bit.ly/2bnKBVD
- Calling Out the Gut Busters: The Unhealthiest Restaurant Meals of 2016 (takepart) http://bit.ly/2bfjX1X
- A Single “Food Product” That Encapsulates the Entirety of the Problem (Weighty Matters) http://bit.ly/2aZ7qRl
- Science and Public Health on Trial (JAMA) http://bit.ly/2aLXUmH Warning Notices on Advertisements for Sugary Drinks
- Your Reusable Shopping Bags Are Teeming With Bad Bacteria (takepart) http://bit.ly/2aLS5WH
- Milking a Legal Loophole to Get (Nearly) Raw Milk to the Masses (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aSD3Zs
Children & School Food
- It’s More Important to Teach Your Kids to Cook Than to Play Soccer (Weighty Matters) http://bit.ly/2aOZqhV
- It’s Time to Modernize School Kitchens (Chef Ann Foundation) http://bit.ly/2b4Z0oW With more cooking from scratch in many schools, it’s time to build and remodel school kitchens to produce foods from scratch, not ‘sheet and heat’ foods…
- There’s a Lingering Farm Labor Dispute Behind Your Summer Berries (takepart) http://bit.ly/2aMqAYU Workers and management at a Washington state grower that supplies Driscoll are still at odds over pay and working conditions.
- In South Texas, Fair Wages Elude Farmworkers, 50 Years After Historic Strike (NPR) http://n.pr/2boyJGV
- Chili’s Restaurants Honcho Allegedly Paid Under the Minimum Wage, Workers Allege in Suit (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aSSoux The class action lawsuit was filed July 22 in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- The Epidemic That’s Costing American Employers Billions (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2b8hcCh
- Dairy groups blast methane reductions: ‘Cows expel gas so they don’t explode’ (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2brefZS California wants to limit the amount of greenhouse gas emitted by belching and farting 5.5 million cows, but the industry is hitting back with a dose of reality
- UK Supermarkets Moving to Cage-Free Eggs—But What Does That Mean? (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2bsuucb
- Target’s Grocery Business Is Struggling – Here’s One Way It Could Change (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2bt5m2j
- Report: Walmart Works Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion (in 2014) In Public Assistance (Forbes) http://bit.ly/2bpvECr Walrmart’s low-wage workers cost US taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report…
- Could antitrust concerns block Danone’s takeover of WhiteWave? (Food Dive) http://bit.ly/2b48rGL
- Shipping Giant COSCO Bans Transport of Whale and Dolphin Products (Whale and Dolphin Conservation) http://bit.ly/2aZ5CHW
- This Infographic Shows How Only 10 Companies Own All The World’s Food Brands (Good Food) http://bit.ly/2bgg1Rx
- Online letter campaign targets McDonald’s antibiotic usage (meat + poultry) http://bit.ly/2aUrI0B
- McDonald’s to remove corn syrup from buns, curbs antibiotics in chicken (Reuters) http://reut.rs/2bqGKKl
- Your Turkey Sandwich: Now Without a Side of Antibiotics (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2b2Asih Cargill’s ditching antibiotics in its two main turkey brands. But is it too little, too late?
- Cargill turkey slices antibiotic use, creates Hones Turkey antibiotic-free product line (Cargill) http://bit.ly/2aQkc2W
- One company is labeling GOs with pride – of course it’s Soylent (grist) http://bit.ly/2b4e7Bq
- With Berries in Demand, Local Co-ops Won’t Budge to Support Driscoll’s Boycott (Indy Week) http://bit.ly/2aR8Mtw
- Your Olive Oil Is Almost Certainly Fake (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2bfNtmZ Here are some tips on finding the real stuff.
- Report: Food Fraud and “Economically Motivated Adulteration” of Food and Food Ingredients (Congressional Research Service) http://bit.ly/2b27dNb
- Report: Tests indicate that imported “extra virgin” olive oil often fails international and USDA standards (UC Davis Olive Center) http://bit.ly/2aUsHd8
- Hampton Creek Serves Up Another Vegan Mayo Scandal (takepart) http://bit.ly/2biXVdC The eggless company is being criticized for buying back its own products.
- Hampton Creek Ran Undercover Project to Buy Up Its Own Vegan Mayo (Bloomberg) http://bloom.bg/2aLOZ51
Water & Our Oceans
- Back to Basics: Saving Water the Old-Fashioned Way (The Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/2b2YjfC Across the world, communities are reviving old ways of saving or storing water – with promising results
- Peru’s Oil Spills Deserve the World’s Attention (Global Health Now) http://bit.ly/2aZv1R0 In Peru’s third major oil spill this year, an estimated 600 barrels of crude oil gushed out near the Marañon river…
- Colorado Readies for ‘All Out War’ as Anti-Fracking Measures Advance to Ballot (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2b9wCWS Citizen-led efforts to override the government and fossil fuel industry could be devastating for Big Oil in the state
- Meet The California Couple Who Uses More Water Than Every Hoe in Los Angeles Combined (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2bfzuPm How megafarmers Lynda and Stewart Resnick built their billion-dollar empire.
- The lake that left town: why is this California community drying up? (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2bveJ5v Eagle Lake is one of the largest in the state, but receding waters have caused the town around it, and its industries, to dwindle. Is climate change to blame?
- Millions Of Americans May Be Drinking Toxic Water, Harvard Study Finds (ThinkProgress) http://bit.ly/2bgFveo
- The Ocean’s Great Garbage Patches Might Have Exit Doors (The Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/2aOTIN7 Garbage isn’t destined to swirl in the ocean forever; new models show it eventually washes up on shore. But how much of it breaks up, sinks and is eaten by sea life?
- Rising Ocean Temperature Are Making Us Sick (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2b8lh9B Deadly marine bacteria are proliferating in warmer waters, prompting “unprecedented” outbreaks in the US and Europe, study finds.
- There’s Something in the Water (Global Health Now) http://bit.ly/2aGAQAo Rising global temperatures are clearly linked to an increase in illnesses from waterborne vibrio bacteria…
- Pollution Threatens Little-Known but Unique Seal (takepart) http://bit.ly/2aVTNzu A first-of-its-kind study tracks the migration of the rare Caspian seal to show how oil drilling and overfishing are taking a toll on the marine mammal
- Fisherman Finds Lobster Who’s So Special He Has To Save Him (The Dodo) http://thedo.do/2beWZuF
- Canada: What’s Fishy About the Feds’ Salmon Promises? (Desmog Canada) http://bit.ly/2bwzvS6 Fish farming, First Nations and sustainability…
- Organic Industry Watchdog Asks DOJ to Block Merge (The Cornucopia Institute) http://bit.ly/2aMr9Ww
- FDA Issues Flawed Rule on Substances Recognized as “Safe” in Food (Center for Science in the Public Interest) http://bit.ly/2bdCz5c Here we go again… Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) rule change: chemical and food companies now get to decide which chemicals are ‘safe’ in our food…
- It’s a Bird, It’s a Plane, It’s a USDA Aerial Cover Crop Seeding Helicopter (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2bsSNnv
- FDA Approves Genetically Modified Mosquitoes to Combat Zika in Florida (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2aMLGKO
- Are You Sure You Want to Eat That? (Food and Water Watch) http://bit.ly/2b1EdoV The alarming volume of food imports turned away at US border is raising some disturbing implications for the safety of our food under the TPP.
- DEA sends warning shot to hemp growers (Bend Bulletin) http://bit.ly/2bznfAn Oregon regulators, farmers look for answers on hemp “principles”
- EPA’s Own Advisory Board Demands Revision of Deeply Flawed Fracking Report (CommonDreams) http://bit.ly/2b24hQC Panel of independent scientists tells EPA to revise report that said fracking did not have “widespread, systemic impacts” on drinking water
- EPA Science Advisory Board: Agency’s Fracking Study Ignored Significant Water Contamination Cases (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2aIlS16
- Failure of Hawai’i to Enforce Pesticide Law Sparks Request that EPA Revoke State’s Authority (Beyond Pesticides) http://bit.ly/2aLWBSc
- California Regulators Sued Over Plan To Turn Aquifer Into Permanent Oil Waste Dump (Desmog) http://bit.ly/2b7bOxX
- Welcome to Sunny Barcelona, Where the Government I Embracing Coops, Citizen Activism, and Solar Energy (The Nation) http://bit.ly/2aStt8V The city that resisted Franco is looking to its radical past to build a progressive future.
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- Nigeria’s Latest Food sovereignty Struggle: The World is Watching (Food First) http://bit.ly/2b6tdUf The biotechnology brigade has underestimated the power of the people.
- Vandana Shiva: False Promises: Avoid ‘Miracle’ Rice and Just Eat a Carrot (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/2aSQ8U3
- Monsanto’s Genetically Engineered Roundup Ready Alfalfa Has Gone Wild (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2bgbQ8z
- Experiments Involving GMO Animals Are Skyrocketing, Study Finds (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2aXFx9s
- There’s a Difference Between Buying Organic and Not Buying GMOs (truthout) http://bit.ly/2b3PnH0 Even with the new GMO labeling law, shoppers still need to be savvy to know what they are buying
- If GMO ‘Labels’ Are Buried in QR Codes, Few Consumers Will See Them (takeapart) http://bit.ly/2bj0jBo A new survey found that just 15 percent of Americans have used their smartphone to scan a grocery item in the last year.
- The Avocado Time Machine Keeps Guacamole Green (Fast Co.) http://bit.ly/2b78ynE
- This Electric Fork Aims To Make Every Meal More Delicious (Good Food) http://bit.ly/2b4e5tg
- Rootworm Resistance to Pyramided Bt Corn Confirmed (KTIC, Nebraska) http://bit.ly/2bccFxH
- Dicamba, Monsanto, and the Dangers of Pesticide Drift: A Modern Farmer Explainer (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2bhQwLi
- Undercover Footage Reveals ‘Culture Of Animal Cruelty’ On Tyson Farms (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2bc05PU
- Farm animals are about to get a lot more shots (grist) http://bit.ly/2aW9t6X
- Should Livestock Eat Garbage Instead of Grain? (takepart) http://bit.ly/2aSoEQb Feeding food waste to farm animals could help solve major environmental and social problems – all while saving money.
- How Factory Farming Is Giving Rise to Antibiotic-Resistant Superbugs (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2bdUIvN In addition to causing immense animal suffering, factory farms are spawning dangerous superbugs that current antibiotics are powerless against.
- KFC Urged To Stop Routine Use Of Antibiotics On Poultry (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2aKs0RP More than 70 percent of medically important antibiotics in the United States are sold for use on livestock and poultry.
- A Disease That Is Wiping Out Bats Spreads Across the US ( takepart) http://bit.ly/2bkaOVb Growing industry of genetically engineering animals requires unnecessary torture and deaths of tens of thousands of animals, Germany’s Green Party argues
- Chinese Activists Stop Truck Transporting 300 Dogs to be Slaughtered (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/2b0elJ3
- We’ve figured out how to solve human-elephant conflict. It takes bees. Lost of bees. (Upworthy) http://u.pw/2bqj8ph