- Want to double world food production? Return the land to small farmers! (The Ecologist) http://bit.ly/2aUBEUJ
- The Cucamelon Is The Cutest Summer Food You Should Be Eating (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2b8KEaxI have always loved these, since I first found them about 7 years ago…
- Wayne Co-Op Farmer’s Market has grand opening (The Herald Dispatch, WV) http://bit.ly/2asLyA2
- Which Diet Makes the Best Use of Farmland? You Might Be Surprised (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2bdiW9W
- Research: Carrying capacity of US agricultural land: Ten diet scenarios (Elementa) http://bit.ly/2asTn7G
- Hipsters Are Treating Farmers Markets Like a Dating Scene – And It May Be Bad for Business (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aVOIt2 Some customers care more about the scene than the cilantro.
- Why Has a Clothing Made a Film About Food and Agriculture? (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2aulPD8 In ‘Unbroken Ground,’ Patagonia features the sustainable operations that supply its line of food items – and lays out a new vision for the food system overall.
- The Most Meat-Like Veggie Burger Ever Has Been Unveiled – and It’s Dripping With Plant Based Blood (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aym3u9
- Impossible Foods’ Vegan ‘Bloody Burger’ Hits NYC Food Scene (Triple Pundit) http://bit.ly/2ajdJjq
- Farmview: Explore public data about farmland in the California Central Coast http://bit.ly/2axZOHO
- Great Wine in Great Britain? The Unlikely Vino Culture Emerging in England (Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/2ayrBEV In the south of England, a new class of vintners is giving French bubbly a run for its money
- Edible Weeds Are the New Edible Flowers: How One Austin Farm Is Growing Trash as Treasure (Munchies) http://bit.ly/2aU2ej1
- The Curious Appeal of ‘Bad’ Food (The Atlantic) http://theatln.tc/2aGwKO5 In the age of Instagram-perfect dishes, why are there so many sites and blogs dedicated to culinary disasters?
- 21 Truly Upsetting Vintage Recipes (BuzzFeed) http://bzfd.it/2aWPkQm This is what US mainstream food culture was like in the 1970’s, the mid 1970’s is when our taste in food began to change…
- The fantastic culinary horrors of the 1970 book ‘Happy Living” A Guide for Brides.’ (some cards) http://some.ly/2aORJtm More horrifying recipes from the 1970’s…
- The Bizarre Reason Why Amish Children Are Less At Risk For Asthma (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aCBJfS
- Study: Innate Immunity and Asthma Risk in Amish and Hutterite Farm Children (New England Journal of Medicine) http://bit.ly/2aC10Wz
- Rootworm Alert: Rotation-Resistant Northern Corn Rootworm Suspected in Missouri (The Progressive Farmer) http://bit.ly/2aJAh98
- Hop Growers Cheer Craft Brewers For Saving An Ailing Industry (NPR) http://n.pr/2aGYsI3
- Freeway Algae Garden Turns CO2 Emissions into Energy in Switzerland (inhabitat) http://bit.ly/2aPhIB1
- There’s Quite Likely Something Fish in Your Wine – Maybe Try a Vegan Vintage? (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aCxFvc
- Undisturbed Ecosystems Benefit Everyone (The Cornucopia Institute) http://bit.ly/2aEivDG Why Not to Convert Native Land to Organic Management
- 9 Ways Vermont’s Food Scene Is Impossible To Beat (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2bamfRM From maple to cheddar, this tiny state has a lot to offer.
- It’s-It! The San Francisco Treat That Sparked a Cult Following (KQED) http://bit.ly/2bdljtf
- In India, Mobile Apps are Transforming Agriculture (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aGtZIT
- Food, Immigrants, and the Fabric of the Body Politic (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2aHJjF1
Hunger, Food Access & Insecurity, Obesity & Malnutrition
- In Alaska’s Remote Towns, Climate Change Is Already Leaving Many Hungry (NPR) http://n.pr/2aBSBQK
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Salvage Supperclub: A High End Dinner In A Dumpster To Fight Food Waste (NPR) http://n.pr/2aZiMX9
- (Beer) Waste Not, Want Not: 5 Ways Breweries Recycle Their Waste (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aCC6XL
- At The Age of 15 She Invented Building Material From Indian Rice Waste (Forbes) http://bit.ly/2aJZUXG
- 22 Facts About Plastic Pollution (And 10 Things We Can Do About It) (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2b2Mr0U
- 75 Percent of Americans Say They Eat Healthy – Despite Evidence To The Contrary (NPR) http://n.pr/2b3dnNT We’re living at a time when more than 80 percent of Americans fail to eat the recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables. At the same time, many Americans overeat refined grains and sugar…
- CDC Weekly Report July 10, 2015: Adults Meeting Fruit and Vegetable Intake Recommendations – United States, 2013 (CDC) http://bit.ly/2aX87uO
- The Yoga-Mat Chemical’s Quiet Fast-Food Exit (Bloomberg) http://bloom.bg/2aM0A1v
- I’m Sick Of Junk Food At the Register, and I’m Not Talking About Grocery Stores (Parents) http://bit.ly/2aFmtBV Why are candy, chips, and cookies in the checkout aisle of just about every store – even ones that don’t typically sell food?
- 4 Celebrity Chefs Revolutionizing Fast Food (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2b3wYxt
- Cockroach Milk: Yes. Your Read That Right (NPR) http://n.pr/2aX5WaJ Turns out, cockroach milk is among the most nutritious substance on Earth. But it may still be a while before you can scurry to health stores for roach-milk shakes.
- When Food Firms Cut The Salt, What Do They Put In Instead? (NPR) http://n.pr/2aGVYJR Food companies looking to cut the sodium while keeping the flavor have a promising candidate: potassium chloride. But it’s far from perfect.
- Soon, Our Milk Could Last Forever (Good) http://bit.ly/2aC51Ii
Children & School Food
- Across America, Children Getting Diabetes Treatment Can Also Order McDonald’s Junk Food – in the Same Hospital (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aTrjdj Aren’t hospitals where we go to get health?
- Northbrook Farmers Market pays kids to try vegetables (Chicago Tribune) http://trib.in/2b38ZhS
- Why farmworkers are dying from extreme heat (grist) http://bit.ly/2bdiWXl
- Chicken Factory Owners Are Some of the cruelest Employers in America: Workers Share Horror Stories as Campaign Builds to Fight Exploitation (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aGxyTt
- Massachusetts Just Banned Companies From Asking Job Applicants How Much They Make (Slate) http://slate.me/2aubxEt
- CEOs Make 276 Times More Than Typical Workers (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aDrYBh 1978 to 2015 CEO compensation grew 941 percent.
- Latest Senate Food Workers Victory Highlights Perils of Privatization (Campaign For America’s Future) http://bit.ly/2aV5XKv
- Dunkin’ Donuts Franchisee Settles Lawsuit: A Store Manager Had Sexually Harassed Female Employees for Years (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aHjlmy
- Tentative Grocery Worker Pact Reached (Capital and Main) http://bit.ly/2aC8U08
- Surprise! It’s a Co-op. Any business can be a worker-owned business (Valley Advocate) http://bit.ly/2auMra5
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- Sandwich Company Jimmy Johns Gets Its Comeuppance for Outrageous Selfishness Toward Workers (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2b3ARm4 Jimmy John’s had a ridiculous restriction for former employees.
- A Nonprofit Grocer Tries To Sell More Healthful Food Without Going Under (NPR) http://n.pr/29LuHUL
- Budweiser is facing a new threat from an unexpected company (Business Insider) http://read.bi/2aFn4DK Walmart is quietly rolling out its own craft-beer labels.
- Nestlé Will Build Phoenix Bottling Plant to Resell City Water to drought-Stricken Area (truthout) http://bit.ly/2awdccI
- McDonald’s kept its promise to use fewer antibiotics (grist) http://bit.ly/2aFf5Tb
- How Are You Supposed to Win a Gold Medal If You Can’t Get A Cup of Coffee? (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2b2PC8L Coca-Cola is the “exclusive” provider of non-alcoholic beverages for the 2016 Olympics, hence no coffee?
- Here are the Big Changes McDonald’s Is Making to Its Food (Munchies) http://bit.ly/2altOoZ
- Tim Hortons sees Philippines as ‘natural gateway’ to Asian expansion (Taranto Star) http://on.thestar.com/2b3MTtJ Remember, Tim Hortons was bought by Burger King back in 2014 (CNN) http://cnnmon.ie/2b1PW93
- Microbe-Coated Seed Startup Could Help Us Thrive In a Dark, Fry Future (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aCXxuN
- Why Do Milk Prices Spike And Crash? Because It’s Like Oil (NPR) http://n.pr/2aCfSUQ Milk prices are in the tank. You may not have notices this, since prices in the supermarket have fallen only slightly. But on the farm, it’s dramatic. Diary farmers are getting about 20 percent less for their milk than they did last year…
- Clean energy won’t save us – only a new economic system can (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2aDvlSl
- Rural America confronts a new class divide (The Christian Science Monitor) http://bit.ly/2aF5rj5 Farms that once generated wealth for entire communities are now creating a new class of superfarms, which are concentrating wealth and income at the top.
- As farms keep getting bigger and more mechanized, rural income inequality grows (The Rural Blog) http://bit.ly/2ay9EDK
- Two Towns Battle Colorado for Freedom to Ban Fracking (Yes!) http://bit.ly/2aDaAYa In a growing number of states, communities are demanding more self-governance over everything from environmental sustainability to gun control.
- Thieves Are Making Off With Millions of Dollars in Stolen Nuts (Smithsonian) http://bit.ly/2aWfVhO
- Thieves Are Stealing Millions of Dollars Worth of California’s Nuts (Munchies) http://bit.ly/2axoycO
- These Italian Criminal Masterminds Heisted $875,000 Worth of Parmesan (Munchies) http://bit.ly/2alsYZj
- Waiter arrested after salmon dish puts man in a coma (Toronto Star) http://on.thestar.com/2aCwzzm
- Did My Waiter Just Try To Kill Me? (Good) http://bit.ly/2aXm7of
Water & Our Oceans
- High Levels of Toxins Found in Bodies of People Living Near Fracking Sites (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2b3AdEW Harmful chemicals from natural gas operations are contaminating the bodies of residents of Pavillion, Wyoming.
- Portland Teachers Expose Lead in Schools (Labor Notes) http://bit.ly/2aPoZE5
- Echoes of Flint, as North Carolina Water Pollution Is Swept Under the Rug (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2b42N7v
- Gold King Mine still leaking one year after spill (grist) http://bit.ly/2b6cFAL
- Toxic algae alert issued for Russian River, Sonoma County California (The Press Democrat) http://bit.ly/2aKkABH
- The Oyster’s Mighty Comeback Is Creating Cleaner US Waterways (NPR) http://n.pr/2aJEzNY
- Oyster Archaeology: Ancient Trash Holds Clues To Sustainable (Oyster) Harvesting (NPR) http://n.pr/2aq9tPk
- GMO Labels on the Table in Canada (Living Non GMO) http://bit.ly/2ax4Pus
- Israel’s war on water (Socialist Worker) http://bit.ly/2aX5GWq
- Corporate Money Wins: GMO Labeling Bill Betrays Consumers (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2aqkEHQ
- Why the GMO Labeling Bill Obama Just Signed Into Law Is a Sham – and a National Embarrassment (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2b3yj7t
- For Decades, the USDA Was Black Farmers’ Worst Enemy – Here’s How It Became an Ally (truthout) http://bit.ly/2aCRUwv
- 6 Chemical Food Additives That Are Legal in America and Banned Abroad (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aXi2hc Thanks to inaction at the FDA, Americans get, among other potential ailments, anal leakage.
- Report: EPA Isn’t Properly Testing the Impact of Pesticides (Triple Pundit) http://bit.ly/2amycQ7
- Tired of Waiting for Corporate High Speed Internet, Minnesota Farm Towns Build Their Own (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aJX5Wz A unique community – owned broadband cooperative will free dozens of tiny towns and farms from reliance on slower corporate providers.
- Pennsylvania Abandons Oil and Gas Regulations, Fails to Protect Public Health (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aDryuG The Keystone State has the dubious distinction of being the only state to abandon oil and gas regulations after they’ve been fully developed and publicly reviewed.
- Under Proposed New Jersey Law, Drinking Coffee and Driving Could Be a Crime (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aBsaLk Proposed ‘distracted driving’ law poised to be harshest in the nation.
- More Charges for Officials Linked to Flint Water Crisis (Triple Pundit) http://bit.ly/2amy7vP
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- How One GMO Nearly Took Down the Planet (truthout) http://bit.ly/2aJFdwZ
- Organic Food Fights Back Against ‘Non-GMO’ Rival (NPR) http://n.pr/2baPEZw … “Non-GMO is agriculture before GMOs were introduced, which is still chemical agriculture.” – Organic Trade Association
- ‘Non-GMO’ Does Not Mean Organic, Folks (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2betPIn It’s time to clear up some confusion on this matter.
- Indian farmers cotton on to new seed, in blow to Monsanto (Reuters) http://reut.rs/2bcrJLM
- Local Residents Force Monsanto to Tear Down GMO Seed Plant in Argentina (Sustainable Pulse) http://bit.ly/2bcBOtF
- USDA confirms unapproved GMO wheat found in Washington State (Reuters) http://reut.rs/2aN22kH
- How Monsanto And Scofflaw Farmers Hurt Soybeans in Arkansas (NPR) http://n.pr/2b2YSK9
- Genetically Modified Mosquitoes Approved By FDA To Figh Zika In Florida (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2aQN2kk
- Biotech Wants To Make Fake, Sustainable Shrimp Out of Algae (Wired) http://bit.ly/2aK7pO5
- Marion (IA) residents hit by crop duster spray told not to eat garden vegetables (kcrg) http://bit.ly/2aOxW1H
- Study Adds to Findings that Link Prenatal Pesticide Exposure to Lower IQs (Beyond Pesticides) http://bit.ly/2aDrFpW
- Study: Prenatal Residential Proximity to Agricultural Pesticide Use and I in 7-Year-Old Children (Environmental Health Perspectives) http://bit.ly/2aCyvYD
- This Spanish Farm Makes Foie Gras Without Force-Feeding (NPR) http://n.pr/2aq9dzI Traditional, sustainable, Foie Gras production…
- Climate change turns birds into cannibals (grist) http://bit.ly/2aTpGdY