- Welcome to Brazil, Where a Food Revolution Is Changing the Way People Eat (The Nation) http://bit.ly/2aAeKTr How the country challenged the junk-food industry and became a global leader in the battle against obesity.
- Brazil’s food revolution is working! (Food Politics) http://bit.ly/2ahHBdn
- Can Industrial Hemp Save Kentucky’s Small Farms? (Yes) http://bit.ly/2av3Tcs
- Should Colleges Serve Crappy Food on Purpose? (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2aScbtE
- Can a city really go vegetarian? (grist) http://bit.ly/2al8E5l
- New mayor wants Turin to become Italy’s first ‘vegetarian city’ (The Independent) http://ind.pn/2apGGr5
- Little Pantry on Street Invites People To Leave Good For Those In Need (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2alxpyu
- The ‘Bloody’ Battle to Make Veggie Burgers Great Again (takepart) http://bit.ly/2acJWZV Will the next generation of vegetarian patties be able to disrupt their meat counterparts?
- Why eat meat when you can eat a veggie burger that bleeds? (grist) http://bit.ly/2aA5xew
- Why Do People Want Veggie Burgers That Bleed? (Eater) http://bit.ly/2aJQsVE
- Vegan Hot Dog Stand Wins Over Meat Eaters (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2aclX8n
- What Would It Take To Mainstream “Alternative” Agriculture? (ensia) http://bit.ly/2aoSCsg Innovative food systems such as agoecology can become the norm if we weave a web of legitimacy from science, politics, society and values.
- Agroecology Can Help Fix Our Broken Food System. Here’s How. (ensia) http://bit.ly/2amymJO The various incarnations of the sustainable food movement need a science with which to approach a system as complex as food and farming.
- Biological explanation for wheat sensitivity found (Science Daily) http://bit.ly/2aoetm0 Weakened intestinal barrier, systemic immune activation may explain symptoms in people without celiac disease
- Teasing out the microbiome of the Kansas prairie (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory) http://bit.ly/2ajFAxi One teaspoonful of soil holds DNA of tens of thousands of microbial species
- Rice crops that can save farmers money and cut pollution (Science Daily) http://bit.ly/2amDDEn New study identifies rice crops that are more efficient at using nitrogen
- Study: Biological nitrification inhibition by rice root exudates and its relationship with nitrogen-use efficiency (New Phytologist) http://bit.ly/2ar3d65
- Every grain of rice: Ancient rice DNA data provides new view of domestication history (Science Daily) http://bit.ly/2aUD1RW
- Bill O’Reilly thins slaves were ‘well fed’. So will he eat like one for a week? (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/2aqrZCl
- Mysterious High Roller Donald Trump Wants to Put in Charge of Our Food (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2aqxwZi Like Trump, Charles Herbster is an unconventional business titan with political amitions.
- The New Rules of Oyster Eating (Lucky Peach) http://bit.ly/2aiSVUW
Hunger, Food Access & Insecurity, Obesity & Malnutrition
- A food truck is delivering donated produce to California farm workers (Quartz) http://bit.ly/2aF63J1
- Raising the minimum wage could improve public health (Economic Policy Institute) http://bit.ly/2aDS99i
- Study: Estimating the effects of wages on obesity (PubMed) http://bit.ly/2aHYxwZ
- Children’s Drawings Show What Hunger Looks Like in Venezuela (takepart) http://bit.ly/2aphUp2
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- The Reason This Farmer (MI) Left A Huge Pile Of Fresh Cherries To Rot (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2asthAc So much fresh fruit going to waste – while so many people go hungry – underscores on of the frustrating contradictions in our food system…. USDA limits the amount of cherries that can be sold each year to match demand…
- Traverse City (MI) farmer: Dumping perfectly good cherries is rotten (Detroit Free Press) http://on.freep.com/2aJLUl9
- Farms Are Wasting Billions Of Pounds Of Food, And We’re All To Blame (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2ayZ18O Many US farmers are trying to find a solution every way they know how. It’s time for us to help them.
- Olympic Chefs Pledge to Salvage Unused Food and Feed the Hungry With It (truthout) http://bit.ly/2aCRgNP
- ByFusion turns all types of ocean plastic into eco-friendly construction blocks (inhabitat) http://bit.ly/2a8EfaT
- Plastic ‘continents’: Is there a way out? (Geology IN) http://bit.ly/2aeblpx
- You Have Never Actually Eaten Mexican Food (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2aESc5j But you can now.
- Taco Bell’s Cheetos Burrito: ‘A Stoner’s Dream Date With Death’ (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2aCGrLt Really?
- Reheating Food Is a No-Brainer, Right? Chances Are You’re Doing It Wrong: Here’s the Ultimate Guide to Getting It Right (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aaev28 Getting it right when it comes to leftovers can be the difference between a quick meal and a sick day.
- Don’t Eat that (Unbaked) Cake: General Mills Recalls Even More Flour Products (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aAzlYe In one of the worst recalls of the year, General Mills has recalled, to day, about 25 million pounds of products under various brand names, including Betty Crocker cake and Gold Medal flour.
Children & School Food
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development, neurocognitive outcomes (Science Daily) http://bit.ly/2aEX1KZ
- Study: Breast Milk Feeding, Brain Development, and Neurocognitive Outcomes: A 7-Year Longitudinal Study in Infants Born at Less Than 30 Weeks Gestation (The Journal of Pediatrics) http://bit.ly/2ajEPEf
- Olympians Are Selling Sugar Water to Kids (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/2avbokk No, world-class athletes, kids do not need sports drinks.
- USDA Finalizes School Nutrition Rules: What You Need to Know (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2aq5iBO Hard boiled eggs are back, limits were placed on on-campus food and beverage marketing, and other new rules were finalized six years after the Child Nutrition Reauthorization passed.
- New USDA Rules crack Down on Junk Food in Schools (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2aFenZh The USDA recently announced its final changes to the Smart Snacks In School regulation, part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act.
- The Workers Who Feed Members of Congress Will Share $1 Million In Back Pay After Years of Abuse (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/2aoXX2X
- Escaping the Restaurant Industry’s Motherhood Trap (Eater) http://bit.ly/2anhQMN
- Book: Taking the Heat (Rutgers University Press) http://bit.ly/2aniJVF
- This Woman Is Being Sued for $67,000 Because She Found a New Job (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2alRrtn Kelley Rieves is being sued by Buc-ee’s, a convenience store chain in Texas.
- Trump To Pay Thousands For Retaliating Against Workers (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/2aqlNuO … Trump agreed to pay $11,200 federal settlement for retaliating against workers who voted to unionize at his eponymous Las Vegas hotel.
Business, Social Enterprise & Our Economy
- 100% of McDonald’s chicken is raised without antibiotics after activist push (Friends of the Earth) http://bit.ly/2aqwRY3
- New Healthy Restaurant Chain Plans to Base Prices on Zip Code (takepart) http://bit.ly/2auirHC In the ritzy part of town, Everytable customers can expect ot pay more for a meal.
- AB InBev Ups Post-Brexit Offer to Acquire Beer Giant SABMiller (Eater) http://bit.ly/2anGeaV
- Applegate Commits to Remove GMOs From Entire Meat Supply Chain (Sustainable Pulse) http://bit.ly/2aGJV1i
- Another Reason To Buy Directly From Farmers: You Could Help the Local Economy More (modern farmer) http://bit.ly/2azaQZS
- Study: Economic Impact of Local Food Producers in the Sacramento Region (UC Davis) http://bit.ly/2azaQZS There are many reasons to buy directly from farmers (at farmers markets or through CSAs) – higher quality produce, faster delivery times, supporting small farmers – but on that isn’t too well-understood is this exchange’s impact on the local economy.
- US Failing Dismally on Sustainable Development, Despite Vast Wealth (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2aDcQSs First of its kind report rates 83 countries on UN’s sustainable development goals and found US “seriously far from achievement”
- More Coca-Cola Ties Seen Inside US Centers For Disease Control (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2aubG8f
- Most ‘Organic’ Eggs You Buy Are Far From Organic (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2as9kXk With Big Ag dominating the organic egg industry, consumers and chickens all lose out.
- “Organic” Factory Farm Investigation (The Cornucopia Institute) http://bit.ly/2aJtuhw
- Report: Scrambled Eggs: Separating Factory Farm Egg Production from Authentic Organic Agriculture (The Cornucopia Institute) http://bit.ly/2asaJ00
Water & Our Oceans
- Israel Proves the Desalination Era is Here (Scientific American) http://bit.ly/2azumFQ One of the driest countries on earth now makes more freshwater than it needs
- 6 Human Activities That Pose The Biggest Threat To The World’s Drinking Water (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/2al6wAH
- New Wetlands Are Being Created in Weird Ways – and That’s Good for Birds (takepart) http://bit.ly/2apjeIw Scientists discover the symbiotic relationship between agriculture, development, and some avian species.
- Landmark Human Rights Complaint Lodged Against World’s Worst Polluters (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/2ak0KLt In unprecedented case, Filipino governmental body accuses carbon polluting corporations of violating people’s right to “life, food, water, sanitation, adequate housing, and to self determination”
- German government agrees to ban fracking after years of dispute (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/28TY05I
- “Less Meat, Less Heat”: China’s Plan to drop Meat Consumption Gets Praise (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/28M35yl New dietary guidelines would reduce the country’s livestock-related carbon emissions by 1 billion tons by 2030
- Court Stops Massive Land Grab in Brazil, rules Against TIAA-CREF and Foreign Investors (Grassroots International) http://bit.ly/2aAMaAi
- President Obama Signs GMO ‘Non-labeling’ Bill, Leaves Millions of Americans in the Dark (Center for Food Safety) http://bit.ly/2akpoQm
- If Your Veggies Weren’t Grown In Soil, Can They Be Organic? (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2aPJ5v2 A new report by a government task force on hydroponic farming has left this raging debate wide open.
- Organic Hydroponic and Aquatponic Task Force Report (USDA) http://bit.ly/2aiQelQ
- This Lawsuit Has Put Big Ag On The Defensive In A Major Way (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2abXIr4 A pending Iowa case could set a new national precedent for water pollution stemming from farms.
- Controversial Des Moines Water Works Lawsuit Calls For Farmers to Clean Up Drinking Water (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2aIKDYJ A 2015 federal lawsuit over nitrate contamination in the Raccoon River pits farmers against water users and pushes Iowa to action on water quality.
- 6 state employees criminally charge in Flint water crisis (Detroit Free Press) http://on.freep.com/2aAivs5
- Plant’s Closing Prompts Questions on Cuomo’s Economic Growth Plans (NYT) http://nyti.ms/2adByEZ
- State health department fines Blue Bell $850,000 following Listeria outbreak (Dallas Morning News) http://bit.ly/2ar0Vq8
- Philadelphia’s Winning Formula for Small-Business Growth (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/2a67ZJV
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- Illegal GMO Wheat Discovery in Washington State Causes Global Export Panic (Sustainable Pulse) http://bit.ly/2aICJ1q USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service has announced Friday that Twenty tow unapproved GMO wheat plants have been discovered in Washington State, sending export markets in to a panic.
- Scientific Correspondence: Promiscuity in transgenic plants (Nature) http://go.nature.com/2anDbCR This is the argument many have been making since the 1990’s
- The GMO Debate: One Student’s experience of Pro-GMO Propaganda at Cornell University (Independent Science News) http://bit.ly/2as3RoM
- Could CRISPR Gene Editing Change the Future f Ag? (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/2ajtBzI
- EPA on the Verge of Banning a Dangerous Herbicide (If It Can Stand up to Lobbyists) (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/2aCjwhP “How many animals have to die before we do what Europe did 12 years ago and ban atrazine?”
- Two neonicotinoid insecticides may have inadvertent contraceptive effects on male honey bees (Science Daily) http://bit.ly/2aEVLXY
- World’s First Urban Bee Highway Helps Save Pollinators (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/2aSlcmB