- Fighting Pests With Sound Waves, Not Pesticides (takepart) http://bit.ly/1NsECNW Scientists have invented a device that uses acoustics to mimic the mating call of an insect that has been devastating Florida’s orange groves. Question is, can this technique be used for other insects?
- The Curious Case of the Antidepressant, Anti-Anxiety Backyard Garden (Yes!) http://bit.ly/1loM69J Whether it’s microbes in the dirt or fresh air – or both – researchers do know this: Gardening is strong medicine.
- Farm Forward’s New Website Helps Consumers Buy Better Poultry (KQED Food) http://bit.ly/1P1u3D4
- 8 Colorful Ways Countries Around the World Give Thanks for Their Harvest (takepart) http://bit.ly/1Q5nKx7
- On Thanksgiving, There Is Such a Thing as Free Lunch (takepart) http://bit.ly/1NfTJ8p Some restaurants that say open on the holiday celebrate by giving food away to benefit their communities.
- Jim Hightower: What Exactly Are We Celebrating on Thanksgiving? (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1Ni0URY We face a momentous choice: a food future rooted in the ethic of sustainable agriculture or in exploitative agri-industry.
- Behind Your Holiday Sweet Potato Dish, Hard Work In The Fields (NPR) http://n.pr/1jiqVEz
- Voyage of the Sweet Potato (Lucky Peach) http://bit.ly/1SWI8ja
- Ahead of Thanksgiving, Tribes Earn New Grants to Support Local Food and Farming (takepart) http://bit.ly/1N2osWz Moving toward food sovereignty is good for the stomachs and souls of Native Americans.
- Native Americans mark Thanksgiving with mixed feelings, and a meal on LA’s skid row (LA Times) http://lat.ms/1kUxgrB
- The “Honorable Harvest”: Lessons From an Indigenous Tradition of Giving Thanks (Yes!) http://bit.ly/1lRwDPE
- Decolonize Thanksgiving (California Institute For Rural Studies) http://bit.ly/21h2Wb4
- What’s Missing From Our Thanksgiving Menus? Justice for Farm Workers (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/21fXYLI
- Why Are Organic Cranberries So Hard to Find? (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/1ldHZgr
- The Effects of Cranberry Bogs on Area Flora and Fauna (McAlester College) http://bit.ly/1Iie9fY
- The Turkey Report (Clear Food) http://bit.ly/1T1NBG5
- From Holiday Bird to Cold Cuts, Take a Scientific Look at What’s in Your Turkey (takepart) http://bit.ly/1lneVmx California lab brings high-tech scrutiny to the search for the perfect bird.
- Wild turkeys are tough old birds. Here’s why you should hunt and cook them (grist) http://bit.ly/1Q1ryiM If you have never eaten wild turkey, you should. Note: they do need to be cooked differently…
- A Short History of American Cheesemaking (Lucky Peach) http://bit.ly/1jgAoMI
- Less Meat Consumption Critical to Achieve Global Climate Goals (TriplePundit) http://bit.ly/1HvYKhh
- If We’re Going To End Factory Farms, We Need To Eat Way Less Meat (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1XweEde Meat consumption is down after decades of growth, but the US still eats more of it than any other country.
- Ethanol Industry Study Fudges The Number (Environmental Working Group) http://bit.ly/1QYyK02
- ‘Decolonize Your Diet’ With Healthy Plant – Based Mexican Cooking (takepart) http://bit.ly/1Xk3g49 A new cookbook explores a cuisine built around healthy native crops that predate the arrival of Europeans in the Americas.
- Profile in Obsession: Kuniyoshi Yamamoto, Tofu Maker (Lucky Peach) http://bit.ly/1XmcaOx
- Environmental Groups Challenge Sugar Cane Burning (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1P7Ljqr
- The Myth of ‘Easy’ Cooking (The Atlantic) http://theatln.tc/1kUtTkj
- There’s A Burger That Costs $300k. We’re Not Kidding. (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/21kbEW0 Who’s actually buying this stuff?
- If you can’t stand the heat (The Economist) http://econ.st/1XlSFLp How farmers in poor countries are responding to climate change
- Global Trade Won’t Solve the Food Shortages Brought on by Climate Change (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1lnsqCU
- What Americans Can Learn From a Beautiful French Film About Farming (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/1JU6Hgk After Winter, Spring looks at radical changes in modern agriculture through the lens of a tiny French village.
Food Insecurity, Hunger, & Obesity
- American Hunger-Related Healthcare Costs Exceeded $160 Billion in 2014, According to New Study (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1OciGa4 Food insecurity, especially for children, remains near record high despite the Great Recession’s official end.
- 160 Billion: The Health Costs of Hunger in America (Bread for the World) http://bit.ly/1Q5EsMJ This is what we found with Meals on Wheels, less food, worse health outcomes. No surprise.
- Cooking Up Solutions to Undernourishment in American and Beyond (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/21fJBam
- Solving our ‘food insecurity’ crisis (Chicago Tribune) http://trib.in/1Xf2IBM
- One Nice Meal Won’t Cut It – How You Can Really Help the Hungry This Thanksgiving (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1PPV10A Dorothy Day, co-founder of the Catholic Worker Movement, was clear that soup lines weren’t the answer to poverty.
- Food Security Must Be a Top Priority for the Paris COP (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1llqxGO
- A Bill of Rights That Puts Workers Above Corporations (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1H4FCRB It’s up to the voters of Spokane, Washington.
- In New York, Farmworkers Rally for 1 Cent of Dignity (The Nation) http://bit.ly/1lvgZct The Coalition of Immokalee Workers has won battles with McDonald’s, Burger King, Subway, Chipotle, and Taco Bell. Is Wendy’s next?
- Eric Schlosser on the People Behind Our Food (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/1MV9MbJ
- Food Workers, in Their Own Voices (East Bay Express) http://bit.ly/1PIAPOg A new oral history project attaches a face – and a voice – to the people who feed America.
- Workers Say Turkey Processing Jobs Are Thankless (Takepart) http://bit.ly/1Xo8HEk Top producers have pledged reform, but workers say meeting holiday demand causes injuries and pays too little.
- 118 More Years of the Gender Wage Gap (The Atlantic) http://theatln.tc/1XjIkKv
- World’s First Robotic Farm to Produce 30,000 Heads of Lettuce Per Day (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1PUAdDv
- Why the Sharing Economy Is Harming Workers – And What Must Be Done (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/21m85yx
- Why it’s getting harder for workers to move beyond minimum wage (TAG) http://bit.ly/1NctMXU
- World’s First Robotic Farm to Produce 30,000 Heads of Lettuce Per Day (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1PUAdDv
- “I often had to skip meals”: Senate Dining Room Workers Want a Union, Say They’re Living in Poverty (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1I8Q3cD
Business & Economy
- Why Do Turkeys Cost What They Do? (Lucky Peach) http://bit.ly/1X9Kd1I
- New York Times and Washington Post Journalists Failed to Disclose Sources’ Funding From Monsanto (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1QMlAUx Also: New Yorker, The Atlantic, ABC News, Forbes and others. This is unacceptable collapse of journalistic standards.
- Food truck cooking up restaurant empires (CNBC) http://cnb.cx/1N2T5v6
- Walmart’s Wage Increase Is Hurting Its Stock Price—and That’s OK (The Nation) http://bit.ly/1Hh1sHe The stock market doesn’t take long-term economic growth into account very well, so why do we look to it to see if higher wages are succeeding?
- Tesco agrees $12m payout to US shareholders over accounting scandal (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/1Ii9ISm UK’s biggest retailer sued after overstating 2015 first-half profit by £263m, causing a hit on stock prices when the error came to light. Tesco is the UK’s largest grocer…
- Top 10 UK Retailers (Retail Economics Co., UK) http://bit.ly/1LGLG3D
- Coke Adds Fraud: Exposing the Beverage Giant’s Shady Research Practices (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1kSn3f7 One of America’s once-most-trusted brands funds research downplaying the link between sugary drinks and obesity.
- APNewsBreak: Emails reveal Coke’s role in anti-obesity group (Associated Press) http://bit.ly/1Oe9RfQ
- Coca-Cola Was Less Than Hands Off With the Anti-Obesity Group It Funded (takepart) http://bit.ly/1Q5nYEn Emails obtained by The Associated Press show that the relationship went beyond a simple donation.
- reSET to Benefit Corps: If You’re Serious, Come to CT (TriplePundit) http://bit.ly/1MLxJoW
- 7 Paths to Development That Bring Neighborhoods Wealth, Not Gentrification (Yes!) http://bit.ly/1SIAz01
- New Economy Week Starts Here (Yes!) http://bit.ly/1NER6BY
- To Protest Walmart on Black Friday, Organizers Are Seeking Food for Underpaid Workers (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1XzD9q1 They’ve got 1,000 collection drives planned.
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Need $23,000 Worth of Chocolate Health Bars? Dumpster Dive (takepart) http://bit.ly/1HdwEan Meet the Canadian couple who survived on food-waste-only diet for six months.
- Can We End America’s Massive Food Waste Problem? (Yes!) http://bit.ly/1NC8dWC Almost half of America’s food is thrown out every year. Despite the popularity of things like local markets and farm-to-form initiatives, the US food system remains a heavily industrialized, wasteful business.
Water & Our Oceans
- As Brazil’s Largest City Struggles With Drought, Residents Are Leaving (NPR) http://n.pr/1LuIaJq
- Running dry: How the drought is forging a new California (SF Chronicle) http://sfchron.cl/1IKavtZ Californians are living through a slow-motion natural disaster, a four-year drought that is combining with record heat to challenge the state in unprecedented ways.
- California’s Drought Impacts Agriculture, Employment (California Institute For Rural Studies) http://bit.ly/1HoD9at
- More California Farmers Switch To Almond Growing, Update on Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Water (California Institute For Rural Studies) http://bit.ly/1T5XKAU
- Top of the Food Chain: Fine Dining Pushes for Sustainable Seafood (takepart) http://bit.ly/1IaldQZ Salmon and shrimp may be popular fare, but leading chefs prove that less familiar local seafood can earn top honors.
- EPA Turnaround on Toxic Herbicide ‘Huge Victory for Future of Food’ (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/1IpRBda Revoking Enlist Duo approval, agency sides with green groups and pulls brakes on ‘lethal cocktail of chemicals’ Yes!
- US (EPA) Changes Mind, Nixes Weed Killer Toxic to Monarch Butterflies (takepart) http://bit.ly/1OxddsB Agency reverses course a year later on weed-killing herbicidal cocktail that could further threaten declining monarch butterfly populations.
- Water Pollution Trading Programs Under Fire as Report Finds Lax Oversight, “Shell Games” Put Waterways at Risk (DeSmog) http://bit.ly/1R5F0mx
- Port neighborhoods demand action from the EPA (grist) http://bit.ly/1Q5prdS
- Federal funds aims to boost migrating monarch butterflies (Lancaster Farming) http://bit.ly/1Ti8pJp
- Congress Isn’t Delivering the Progressive Food Policy Americans Want (takepart) http://bit.ly/1WZSjKe Even as substantial majorities of voters say they want an overhauled progressive food system, lawmakers remain stuck in the status quo.
- Food Policy Action Annual Congressional Scorecard http://bit.ly/1nqVM3l
- States Battle Cities Over Minimum Wage (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1CEu76t 16 states have laws forbidding local municipalities from raising the minimum wage, and/or benefits, via ALEC…
- California Climate and Agriculture Legislative Roundup (California Institute For Rural Studies) http://bit.ly/1XhgRhZ
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- FDA’s Approval of GE Salmon Based on Bad Science, Say Consumer Advocates (Earth Island Journal) http://bit.ly/1MW4zkJ
- Genetically Engineered Salmon Will Not Be Labeled (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1MG902Y
- Costco Joins a Host of Retailers Refusing to Sell GMO Salmon (takepart) http://bit.ly/1XzAJro The second-largest retailer in the world is now one of more than 60 US supermarket chains rejecting the laboratory fish.
- Soper Fars Triples Net Income Switching From GMO Crops to Organic (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1YoDcqP
- Europe’s Rejection of GMOs Ignites Eco-Farming Revolution (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1I5mKaY
- Dangerous Pesticides Are Being Found In Colorado’s Weed (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1Pb2XcO The state doesn’t yet require marijuana businesses to conduct pesticide testing, leading to a “buyer beware” market.
- Contaminating Our Bodies With Everyday Products (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1HwbwfQ
- Scientists Say They’ve Found the ‘Missing Link’ on Bees and Pesticides (care2) http://bit.ly/1P1zmlT
- Monarch butterfly count expected to rebound in Mexico (Reuters) http://reut.rs/1QYI0RE
- Jack in the Box and General Mills Commit to Sourcing Cage-Free Eggs (TriplePundit) http://bit.ly/1Niof5Z
- Jack in the Box Says ‘No’ to Birds in the Cage (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1SolnVr Five to 10 years is a long time for chickens to remain in cages, but Jack in the Box’s announcement is still great progress – 5 to 10 years? CAFO chickens are usually culled after one to two year… (Farm Sanctuary) http://bit.ly/1iG3Zvw
- Animal Welfare at Jack in the Box Inc. (Jack in the Box Inc.) http://bit.ly/1Iodt8J
- Apocalypse Pig: The Last Antibiotic Begins to Fail (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/1Hg4KdM
- What To Do With All of the Poo? (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/1QLkIQ4
- Even at Whole Foods’ Best Farm (Diestel Family Turkey Ranch), Turkeys Suffer (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1Tg3KYs
- Guide to hexane-extracted soy in nutrition bars (The Cornucopia Institute) http://bit.ly/1NySbwJ
- Chipotle Shares Plummet as E. Coli Outbreak Spreads (takepart) http://bit.ly/1lnge4R Cases have been reported in six states.
- Top 10 Graduate Programs For Environmental Sustainability (TriplePundit) http://bit.ly/1kS0HdL