- 14 hot food trends for 2016 (Restaurant News) http://bit.ly/1ShBinV Really?
- Farm bill favors corporations and ignores people of color (grist) http://bit.ly/1WM6x12
- India’s Indigenous Peoples organize to protect forests, waters and commons (The Ecologist) http://bit.ly/1SewFey
- Vandana Shiva: West’s ‘fail-anthropy’ (The Asian Age) http://bit.ly/1McFxgY “’One Agriculture’ will starve the world and worsen the refugee crisis. The Gates Foundation, pretending to feed the world, is propagating the very source of half the climate problem.”
- For Some, Russian Farmers, Trade Sanctions Never Tasted so Good (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/1WL1D0M
- A First-Generation Russian Bull Comes of Age (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/1RMKnp1
- The Best Burger of the Year Has No Meat in It (GQ) http://bit.ly/1NhlIFa
- Making a Meal That’s Bred-to-Order (The Atlantic) http://theatln.tc/1MKLfGa Plant breeders are working with chefs to create a better-tasting new varieties of fruits and vegetables.
- San Francisco Becomes First City to Ban the Sale of Plastic Bottles (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1Nu0BiV
- Salad-Making Is Performance Art At The Getty In Los Angeles (NPR) http://n.pr/20JL4VZ
- Farmers Honor Late Neighbor With ‘Unbelievable’ Gesture Of Support (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1SqBzoE
“It’s a small community. We all stick together.”
- International Year of Pulses 2016 (FAO) http://bit.ly/1McLpZU
- Taste the Crown Jewel of the Grain World: Hand-Harvested Wild Rice (takepart) http://bit.ly/1kXObJ6 This ancient Native American staple crop provides economic and environmental benefits on tribal lands.
- Nonprofits Train Veterans For a New Challenge: Farming (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/1LbILzq
Food Insecurity, Hunger, & Obesity
- When Employees Buy Restaurant Ingredients at Cost, They Get More Than Better Food (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/1QDYWNh
- Fixing A Food Desert Isn’t As Easy As Putting A Grocery Store On Wheels (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1MQC3QM A mobile grocery store in New Mexico is no more. What’s sprung up in its place could be even better.
- US Obesity Rates Are Rising Again, Especially Among Minority Women (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1O5MRxP And experts say they don’t have an explanation as to why.
- There’s Little to Celebrate in New CDC Report on Obesity (takepart) http://bit.ly/1Mw2aNw Both child and adult rates appear to be plateauing, and declines were only seen in on demographic group.
- Are Junk Food Habits Driving Obesity? A Tale Of Two Studies (NPR) http://n.pr/1OGQOfq
- Papa John’s Franchisee Gets Jail Time For Failing To Pay Full Wages (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1HQoJ2G It’s very rare that a business owner serves time for wage theft.
- Joe’s Crab Shack Becomes First Major Chain To Drop Tipping (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1OEWaIf Servers will now be paid at least $12 an hour.
- Tyson Foods Wants the Supreme Court to Let It Keep Stealing Workers’ Wages (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1MVQ1ab Tyson Foods gets sued a lot by its employees. It wants the Supreme Court to make them stop.
- Why Is Tyson Foods Still Stealing from its Workers? (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1MHzLHX
- Push For $15 Minimum Wage Becoming Part Of Presidential Politics (NPR) http://n.pr/20LyWnD
- Campaigns for Paid Family and Medical Leave Gain Momentum, Despite GOP Resistance (truthout) http://bit.ly/1HOBs0A
- Sorry, Eating Chicken Is Indefensible: The Real Horrors Behind America’s Most Popular Meat (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1PqtpyZ Chicken is seen as cheap protein and convenient food. But the labor practices and “killing line” are horrifying.
- Complaints Against Multinational Supermarket Chain a Test of labor Protections in International Trade Agreements (UFCW Local 770) http://bit.ly/1NNU3jT Coalition of Labor and Consumer Groups File NAFTA and OECD complaints to Halt Worker Abuse at Mexican Retail Giant Chedraui Commercial Group
- How a ‘Right to Your Job’ Law Could Help Unions Fight Back Against ‘Right to Work’ (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1RZHscE
Business & Economy
- Ben And Jerry’s New Vegan Ice Cream Will Be Made With Almond Milk (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1lnKBso
- Improving Lives by Connecting the Coffee in Your Cup to the Farmer Who Grew It (takepart) http://bit.ly/1kXNrnj By naming roasts after growers – and paying a premium price for beans – Austin-based Tiny House hopes to make life better on Nicaraguan plantations.
- Look at This Crap Cheerios Is Trying to Pull (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1QkdWAJ
- Campbell’s Is Changing Its Famous Chicken Soup Recipe (Yahoo!) http://yhoo.it/1OEXf2L
- Taco Bell is a Crunchwrap Supreme jerk on food sourcing (grist) http://bit.ly/1QkUjZ7
- Report: How Top Restaurants Rate On Reducing Use of Antibiotics in Their Meat Supply (Friends of the Earth & NRDC) http://bit.ly/1Ntzjcv
- 17 Huge Restaurant (QSR) Menu Changes Coming Soon (Eat This) http://bit.ly/1NUYLfN
- Starbucks Offers Free College Tuition To Military Spouses And Children (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1Sv9tJ3 Military families can now earn bachelor’s degrees at Arizona State University for free.
- Almost Half of All American Workers Make Less Than $15 an Hour (The Nation) http://bit.ly/1WRUl9U Three years after the first #FightFor15 strike, workers nationwide rallied again yesterday for living wages and union rights.
- 1 in 2 Working Americans Make Less Than $30,000 A Year (Daily Caller) http://bit.ly/1RxpuxJ
- Fast Food Strikes Hit Cities Throughout The Country (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1SFVnoS The campaign says workers earning less than $15 per hour are “a voting bloc that can no longer be ignored.” Less than 50% of US workers make $30,00 per year, you are right, they can’t be ignored…
- Photos Show Workers Around The Country Striking For $15 Minimum Wage (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1HA9qet
- In Latest Round of Fast Food Strikes, Fight for $15 Tells Politicians: “Come Get My Vote” (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1QvJu5D
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- Should you be eating fruit foraged from urban landscapes? (grist) http://bit.ly/1NtyhgM
- Is Food Foraged in Cities Safe to Eat? (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/1koRWrn Early research has found that some foraged urban foods are not only safe, they also have higher levels of nutrients.
- To Forage Fruit in Germany, Start By Looking Up (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/1lq3A5H
- Everybody Hates Wasting Food, Why Do We Do It and How Can We Stop? (truthout) http://bit.ly/1QE0F51
- One Kitchen Aims to Upcycle Food Waste and Employ the Poor (takepart) http://bit.ly/1NRie0X The Alameda Kitchen will take unwanted fruits and vegetables and turn them into meals for a good cause.
- Park Service removes garbage cans from San Francisco beach… to prevent litter (grist) http://bit.ly/1lmaTuY
Water & Our Oceans
- Report: Water, Drought, Climate Change, and Conflict in Syria (American Meteorological Society) http://bit.ly/1cFCBgR
- The Drought Is Turning Dairy Farmers Away From Thirsty Feed Crops (takepart) http://bit.ly/1Qxu7JX Redwood Hill Farm is substituting the shrub tagasaste for water-loving alfalfa.
- How California could get smarter about droughts and flooding (grist) http://bit.ly/1NnDhn8
- California Could Be The Next Saudi Arabia (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1HF0yiz
- Monster Fish Makes a Rare Appearance in Cambodia (takepart) http://bit.ly/1HRRtCS Fishers catch and release a critically endanger Mekong giant catfish.
- Monsanto Accused of Knowingly Polluting SF Bay with Toxic PCBs (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/1PquAOK Oakland city attorney says the chemical giant ‘chose profits over people, and American cities and citizens are still suffering the consequences.’
- San Francisco Bay PCBs TMDL Project (California Environmental Protection Agency) http://bit.ly/1MMqpWZ We have been warned since 1994 not to eat fish from the San Francisco Bay due to PCBs…
- OEHHA: A guide to eating San Francisco Bay Fish and Shellfish based on mercury or PCBs (California Environmental Protection Agency) http://bit.ly/1RREuHd
- A Neurotoxin Is Closing Crab Season in California (NPR) http://n.pr/1iOROzI
- Chemicals used in oil spill cleanup made Gulf disaster worse (grist) http://bit.ly/1RRVMns
- Study: Chemical dispersants can suppress the activity of natural oil-degrading microorganisms (National Academy of Sciences) http://bit.ly/1QkT1gX
- Plastic Contaminates Table Salt in China (Scientific American) http://bit.ly/1MxbMwN
- Study: Microplastic Pollution in Table Salts from China (Journal of Environmental Science & Technology) http://bit.ly/1OH7jrM
- Big Trouble Looms For California Salmon – And For Fishermen (NPR) http://n.pr/1RDjsf4
- TPP Ignores Workers’ Needs and Fails to Address Weaknesses from Past Trade Agreements (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1M9Gh8I
- Worried TPP Will Hurt Workers? This Case Will Provide Some Clues (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/1iXBwoa “If the administration fails to take strong action, critics will see it as a signal that the US is falling short on linking trade, investment, and labor rights.”
- How Obama’s Trade Deal Might Stir Up Your Dinner (NPR) http://n.pr/1MGCXz6
- TPP Gives Food Industry Powerful Weapon Against Labeling GMO Foods (truthout) http://bit.ly/1HKGye9
- European scientists (European Food Safety Authority) say weedkiller glyphosate unlikely to cause cancer (Reuters UK) http://reut.rs/1Mg1Lkq Really? When the world cancer authority (IARC) took into consideration not only glyphaste but the interaction with other chemicals… What of the precautionary principle?
- Farm bill favors corporations and ignores people of color (grist) http://bit.ly/1WM6x12
- Report: The US Farm Bill: Corporate Power and Structural Racialization in the US Food System (UC Berkley Haas Institute for a Fair and Inclusive Society) http://bit.ly/1iT5ee6
- It’s Final: FDA Issues Long-Awaited Food Safety Rules (NPR) http://n.pr/1MQmf0i
- What’s ‘Natural’ Food? The Government Isn’t Sure And Wants Your Input (NPR) http://n.pr/1QjgC1x
- Think You Know What ‘Natural’ Means? The FDA Wants You to Share (takepart) http://bit.ly/1SusVWh After more than 20 years, the feds may be getting serious about coming up with a legal definition for the label food makers love to use and abuse
- City Lets People Pay Parking Tickets With Canned Food Donations (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1QAWc39
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- India: Farmers criticize GM promoters’ covert practices (live mint) http://bit.ly/1NUrRfi Farmers ask government stop approval process for commercialization of genetically modified mustard
- New GMO-Free Zone Will Protect Traditional Farmers in Colorado (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1HLgPrm The zone will help traditional and organic farmers avoid the risk of transgenic contamination from nearby GE crops, particularly GE corn.
- Will the EPA Ban a Pesticide That’s Been Lowering Children’s IQs for Year? (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1PB94p7
- Why the United States Leaves Deadly Chemicals on the Market (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1GI0QKp A 6-month investigation finds that the revolving door between government and the chemical industry has led the EPA to rely on easily manipulated research…
- Farmers Have Been Enjoying The Fruits Of Bee Labor For 9,000 Years (The Salt) http://n.pr/1O4HxuE
- Clay Fragments Suggest How Long We’ve Been Relying On Honeybees (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/1RRua1V
- Toast the Bat Next Time You Sip Tequila (National Geographic) http://bit.ly/1QCDYy5
- There’s a Horrifying Pork Factory Video Going Around. The Story Behind It Is Even Worse. (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1M87gBM The puss-covered meat, poop-caked pigs, and snoozing employee? That’s supposed to be a model for the rest of the industry?
- Undercover Video Appears To Show Pigs Conscious, Shaking In Pain As They Face Slaughterhouse Death (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1MLpk1L Pigs that appear covered with feces and sores are headed for processing in the video at one of the largest US pork producers.
- ‘Not Safe to Consume’: Insiders Blow Whistle on Pork Inspection Regime (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/1GZ4AaB “Personally, I will not eat any products that bear the name of the company which this meat is produced,” Says USDA whistleblower
- Clearing the Air About Factory Farming (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/20Skzhi
- Over 1,000 Hogs Die in Confinement Pit Gas Accident Near Tracy, Iowa (KNIA/KRLS News) http://bit.ly/1MHypNf
- A father and son from Cylinder, Iowa have died after a manure pit accident this week (KTIV) http://bit.ly/1kvdgM6 and Funeral arrangements announced for father, son killed in tragic farm accident (WQOW) http://bit.ly/1MHyQaz
- Turkey Prices Expected to Rise 15 to 20 Percent This Thanksgiving (Yahoo!) http://abcn.ws/1WULKDf Due to culling of turkey flocks in response to Avian Flue earlier this year…
- Why an Australian company is flying cows to China (grist) http://bit.ly/1M5yI2T
- Rounding Up The Last Of A Deadly Cattle Virus (NPR) http://n.pr/1QlrdJ6