- 6 Food and Farming Success Stories From Native Communities (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/1WCfc0B Native American communities are connecting to their roots through food, farming and education.
- Meet the Mighty, Mighty Moringa Tree (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/1knxNS0
- Enlisting Veterans to Remedy the Shortage of Farmers (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1NEyp1f
- Brooklyn Urban Farm Inspires Action in Scandinavia (Seedstock) http://bit.ly/1L7sRGz
- A Seismic Shift in How People Eat (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1MDT1l8
- These ‘Food Scans’ Will Make You See Vegetables In A Whole New Way (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1PwOx5c
- Death Happens (And Other Facts About Being a Farmer) – Bootstrap At Emadi Acres (National Young Farmers Coalition) http://bit.ly/1Nmix3m
- We Are The Solution: African Women Organize for Lan and Seed Sovereignty (Other Words) http://bit.ly/1NUITIa
- A Weekend in Montreal (Yahoo! Food) http://yhoo.it/1GZOvBj And my favorite place on Rue Saint-Denis, Restaurant L’Express is on the list…
- Meet the New Bagels on the Block (Yahoo!) http://yhoo.it/1xurbRt
- Joel Salatin responds to New York Times’ ‘Myth of Sustainable Meat’ (grist) http://bit.ly/1921Uch
- Urban farming takes root in Hartford (Hartford Business) http://bit.ly/1Sk3M12
- The Modern Farmer Guide to Types of Apples (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/1l55NmP
- Bored with Apples? Try One of These 7 Delicious Rare Cousins Instead (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/1RLDmEv
- A yummy new food policy podcast (grist) http://bit.ly/1R7YsNe
- The Sugar Maple Is in Trouble: What Will Happen To Our Syrup? (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/1Q2J1sw
- Mighty Monsanto meets its match in music (Jim Hightower) http://bit.ly/1Mgu5kw
- Monsanto Fires Back at Neil Young’s Scathing New Album (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1SAKQvw
- Report: Better Biofuels Ahead: The Road to Low-Carbon Fuels (EWG) http://bit.ly/1HnhVEh
- A New Kind of Stove Could Save Lives and Trees in Ethiopia (takepart) http://bit.ly/1kiYZ4S Cheaper, more efficient cookstoves rely on less fuel, which helps with a host of social and environmental problems.
- Roses for Autism: How a Farm was Saved and a Vital Need Filled (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/1RqASvv
- Forget Saving the Planet: Being a Vegetarian Is Cheaper Than Eating Meat (takepart) http://bit.ly/1PnD081 A new study shows that cooking plant-based meals costs less than cooking with the lean meats recommended by the MyPlate diet plan.
- Study: Economical Healthy Diets (2012): Including Lean Animal Protein Costs More than Using Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition) http://bit.ly/1Q5ZvQC
- Feds Decide That Sustainability and Nutrition Don’t Mix (takepart) http://bit.ly/1SpVgNZ The heads of the USDA and HHS say Dietary Guid3lines shouldn’t include environmental concerns.
- Feds: if You Care About Health and the Environment, Change the Way You Eat (takepart) http://bit.ly/1iDTImN
- The History Of American White Bread Is Anything But Bland (NPR) http://n.pr/1MprwQG
- Ripe and Ready: How ‘Evil Geniuses’ Got Us Hooked on Avocados (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1S4MBjb
- Illegal Pot Farms Are ‘Silently Killing’ Endangered Wildlife (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1PfXl0B
- Behind Bars, Cheap Ramen Is As Good As Gold (NPR) http://n.pr/1Q67b5q
- Terrace Farming – an Ancient Indigenous Model for Food Security (IPS News) http://bit.ly/1GBsokl
- Elon Musk’s Brother Wants to Revolutionize Our Food System (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1LZm6dA
- Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For Climate Change (Fast Company) http://bit.ly/1LWXYs0 Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains as much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there’s potential to soak up much more.
- Brewery Follows Ad Called Homophobic with ‘World’s First Transgender Beer’ (takepart) http://bit.ly/1QnCYxO
- Your grain-free diet isn’t natural good for you or good for the planet (Washington Post) http://bit.ly/1PlWifH
Food Insecurity, Hunger, & Obesity
- Soylent Isn’t About to ‘Disrupt’ World Hunger (takepart) http://bit.ly/1KLtDZF Creators of meal-replacement products have suggested they could help with nutrition aid.
- Menu Calorie Labels Aren’t Perfect, But Can Still Help Fight Obesity (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1XQMewz Turns out information isn’t always power.
- Parliamentarian Forum to Set new Goals Against Hunger (ISP News) http://bit.ly/1HlTexj
- Give Schools the Tools to Prepare Healthy, Delicious Meals (The PEW Chartable Trusts) http://bit.ly/1x9jXse
- Breakfast after the bell combats hunger (NorthJersey.com) http://bit.ly/1l6oRRw
- The benefits of paid leave for children are real, majority or research says (CNN) http://cnn.it/1GZslyZ
- Report: Paid Parental Leave in the United States: What the Data Tell Us about Access, Usage, and Economic and Health Benefits (Institute For Women’s Policy Research) http://bit.ly/1GbB0aF
- Restaurant Sales Now Surpass Grocery Sales – but Restaurant Workers Are Paid Peanuts (truthout) http://bit.ly/1OvwtJS
- Americans’ Spending on Dining Out Just Overtook Grocery Sales for the First Time Ever (Bloomberg) http://bloom.bg/1H3D3lt
- US women paid less in all industries, every level: report (Reuters) http://reut.rs/1WFGh32 The gender pay gap widened further as the job level increased with male executives earning many times more than their female counterparts…
- 3 Depressing Findings From A Huge New Study Of The Gender Pay Gap (ThinkProgress) http://bit.ly/1PpQUGK
- There Are Jobs In Ag, There’s Just Not Enough New Grads To Fill ‘Em (KUNC) http://bit.ly/1XJTKJw
- Report: Employment Opportunities for College Graduates: in Food, Agriculture, Renewable Natural Resources, and the Environment, US 2015-2020 (Perdue University) http://bit.ly/1F9l10H
- Report: Lives On The Line: The Human Cost of Cheap Chicken (Oxfam America) http://bit.ly/1H9aMwt
- Workers (Taylor Farms) Speak Up After Being Told To Go Back To Work After Chemical Spill (ThinkProgress) http://bit.ly/1L1qC7u
- Chipotle Ordered To Rehire Fired Worker Who Joined Fight For $15 (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1HdYFhJ The worker was also reprimanded from discussing wages with his colleagues, which is a federal right.
- The Legacy and Current Growth of Black Cooperatives (Other Words) http://bit.ly/1RFGTED
Business & Economy
- The Hard Power of Soft Drinks (New Republic) http://bit.ly/1MQLkyo How Coca-Cola’s feel-good message silences its critics
- Panera Bread Announces New Commitment to Animal Welfare (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1WDXy23
- Kraft Heinz closing 7 factories, cutting 2, 600 jobs (CNBC) http://cnb.cx/1GMow0f
- Mark Bittman Jumps From the Opinion Page to Vegan Meal-Delivery Start-Up (takepart) http://bit.ly/1RLr5jt The Purple Carrot will feature recipes developed by the author’s team, and the business is expanding beyond feeding people healthy food.
- Big Time Food Writer Mark Bittman Left the New York Times to… Sell Vegan Food Kits?! (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1M87rus
- Mark Bittman’s plan to make you fall in love with vegan food (grist) http://bit.ly/1LMcDWX
- Why I Quit Ordering From Uber-for-Food Start-Ups (The Atlantic) http://theatln.tc/1HhlBwA
- Target Teams Up with MIT Geniuses to Figure out ‘Future of Food’ (Modern Farmer) http://bit.ly/1N68Vd2
- Why some young American farmers want their student loans forgiven (Market Watch) http://on.mktw.net/1MUQEPR
- Would You Pay $1900 for Dinner? (Yahoo!) http://yhoo.it/1Q928AY World’s Most Expensive Restaurants
- The Rigging of the American Market (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1Ma7VAi … Why have food prices been rising faster than inflation, while corn prices are now at a six-year low?
- Why Falling Food Prices Around the World Aren’t Helping US Consumers (Bloomberg) http://bloom.bg/1f7kMtd Americans love their processed foods, and that’s part of the problem
- Frances Moore Lappé: Busting Six Free-Market Fictions (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/1XVfanh
- When the Rich Took Over Our Neighborhood (Moyers & Company) http://bit.ly/1iG8nOe
- US fast-food workers to strike in 270 cities: organizers (Reuters) http://reut.rs/1MI82m2
- How Suffragists Used Cookbooks As A Recipe For Subversion (NPR) http://n.pr/1NfQQ89
- Monday Night Football Crashed by Fracktivists Performing Sky-High Rappel in Bank of America Stadium (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1kCdd09
- Farmers plow through Jerusalem to protest policies (The Jerusalem Post) http://bit.ly/1PlXv6M
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- 7 Tips to Improve Food Recovery: A Case Study from Santa Clara County (Food Shift) http://bit.ly/1Mfg1MG
- Americans Waste Way Too Much Food At Home. Here’s What Can Be Done. (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1PbbGLR “No matter how organically or sustainably we grow our food, if we don’t eat it, it’s a waste of resources.”
- British Supermarket Chain to Donate Nearly Expired Food, Follow France’s Lead (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1SxVin7
- Black Market Wine Industry Means Could Be Drinking Poison (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1NQzuRP
Water & Our Oceans
- The journey from grey to green (agri cultures) http://bit.ly/1Rq37um Development of watershed is an approach to make best use of rainwater for agricultural production while improving soil conservation and bio-diversity…
- Saudi Wells Running Dry – of Water – Spell End of Desert Wheat (Bloomberg) http://bloom.bg/1MbZa91
- Saudi Hay Farm In Arizona Tests State’s Supply of Groundwater (NPR) http://n.pr/1k7GFM8
- Answers to your burning California drought questions (Reveal) http://bit.ly/1P6lXJg
- Big Trouble Looms For California Salmon – And For Fishermen (NPR) http://n.pr/1RDjsf4
- The Solution to the Global Overfishing Crisis Is Around the Corner (takepart) http://bit.ly/1GIhIAU With a new report showing that most of the world’s fisheries are at risk, the United States is moving to ensure imported seafood has been legally caught.
- Report: Illegal Fishing: Which fish species are at the highest risk from illegal and unreported fishing (World Wildlife Fund) http://wwf.to/20oWGOe
- Collapse of New England’s iconic cod tied to climate change (Science) http://bit.ly/1RPkpkl
- The Pacific Ocean Becomes a Caldron (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1RLeTzl
- Woes Continue for West Coasting Fishing Industry as California Suspends Crab Catch (takepart) http://bit.ly/1kiXT9o Toxic algae that thrive in warming seas have already shut down trade in other shellfish and some small fish.
- Global Opposition Is Mounting Against the Latest Environmental Abuse – Deep Sea Mining (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1Q9GsEQ
- FAO and WTO aim to improve small scale producer access to international markets (Food Navigator) http://bit.ly/1XQZUb0
- TPP Text Reveals Broad New Powers for Corporations to Attack Food Labeling Laws (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1HdFEfg
- Agriculture Deputy Secretary Krysta Harden Announces New USDA Commitments to Help Build up Next Generation of Farmers and Ranchers (Seedstock) http://bit.ly/1lhDbqq
- Puerto Rico Works with USDA to Strengthen Local Food Systems (USDA) http://1.usa.gov/1Ssq5BG
- Is the USDA trying to silence a pesticide researcher? (grist) http://bit.ly/1KH9K5M
- EPA Slow to Halt Use of Deadly Pesticide (New America Media) http://bit.ly/1PgTAXi A pesticide know as “DDT’s cousin” is still being used in the United States, despite evidence of its toxic effects…
- CDC Investigating As E. Coli Outbreak Linked To Chipotle Sickened 39 (NPR) http://n.pr/1XSHMNN
- Meet the poorest member of Congress: A California dairy farmer (LA Times) http://lat.ms/1SlQpNL
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- The coming food disaster (CNN) http://cnn.it/1BszxL1
- Monsanto Handed ‘Double Whammy’ by Mexican Courts Over Planting GMOs (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1MI4uAc
- Monsanto loses twice in Mexico. In one ruling, federal court of appeals upholds ban on the planting of GMO corn in Mexico. In a separate case, Mexico’s Supreme Court blocked the planting of GMO soy in the states of Campeche and Yucatan…
- Mexican Federal Judge Upholds GM Maize Ban During Appeals Process (Sustainable Pulse) http://bit.ly/1PtMf6F
- Monsanto Research Site In France Goes Up In Flames (Info Wars) http://bit.ly/1k5YBGV
- Arson Suspected in Massive Fire at Monsanto Research Facility (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1RsOV3J
- Monsanto posts larger than expected 4Q loss (Associated Press) http://bit.ly/1KWdVuL
- Monsanto to shutter three R&D center in 2016, cut 90 jobs (Reuters) http://reut.rs/1XMBj7b
- Monsanto to Cut 12% (2,600 jobs) of Workforce as It Forecasts Profit Drop (Bloomberg) http://bloom.bg/1MdX5gA
- Monsanto Stunned – California Confirms ‘Roundup’ Will Be Labeled “Cancer Causing” (MintPress News) http://bit.ly/1isFdmt Monsanto was seemingly baffled by the decision to place cancer-causing glyphosate on the state’s list of nearly 800 toxic chemicals.
- Monsanto to Mexico honey farmers: Our soya not to blame for woes (Reuters) http://reut.rs/20BrNWH
- Most Americans Believe GMO Foods Are Unsafe; They Need Labels to Avoid Them (Organic Consumers Association) http://bit.ly/1Pg8oXJ
- Righting Civil Wrongs (Earth Justice) http://bit.ly/1Hnbn8H From California to Michigan, low-income communities of color have been waiting years for the EPA to take a stand against environmental racism.
- Analysis: California’s Poorest Counties Hit Hardest by Spraying of Glyphosate (Center For Food Safety) http://bit.ly/1Q6DOyU Lost In The Mist: How Glyphosate Use Disproportionately Threatens California’s Most Impoverished Counties
- Monsanto and the EPA: A Love Story (The Anti Media) http://bit.ly/1ke2DNs
- Feds Used Monsanto-Funded Studies to Decide Monsanto’s Weed Killer Is Safe (takepart) http://bit.ly/1PwpqPN Of course they did, that is how we regulate…
- Monarch butterflies fluttering back to Orange County (California), but populations struggle (The Orange County Register) http://bit.ly/1Nmi557
- These Are The Foods We’d Lose If Honeybees Die Off (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1Opp92B Honeybees are responsible for about a third of all the food we eat.
- Why Andrew Cuomo’s Pollinator Task Force Won’t Save New York’s Bees (Independent Science News) http://bit.ly/1S4pDsx
- Morgan Freeman Converted His 124-Acre Ranch into a Bee Sanctuary to Help Save the Bees (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1L2exz0
- Protect Your Backyard Poultry From Avian Flu (The Poultry Site) http://bit.ly/1OjrQ5u
- Pork Farmers Want Subway to Slow Its Roll on Nixing Antibiotics (takepart) http://bit.ly/1NMxABI The chains’ ambitious plan to stop using meat raised with drugs by 2025 hans’t been well received by livestock groups.
- Why Chipotle’s Hard Line On Swine Antibiotics Is Now Blurry (NPR) http://n.pr/1HpNwFe
- Move Over, Yellow 6. More Natural Colors From Plants Are Coming (NPR) http://n.pr/1GIbtNy
- Food companies should stop fighting the Obvious: Sugar is running our health (The Washington Post) http://wapo.st/1kYmikrc Robert Lustig: My study shows that cutting sugar an improve children’s health in just 10 days.
- Is Berkeley’s Soda Tax Working? (SPUR) http://bit.ly/1kbPEf3
- More Than 167,000 Pounds of Ground Beef Recalled Over E. Coli Risk (Yahoo!) http://yhoo.it/1OjetSR
- Chipotle braces for more sick people from its E. coli outbreak (Quartz) http://bit.ly/1Q6njCM
- 7 Things You Need to Know About Meat and Cancer (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1ReRkyL
- 40 Percent of Your Chicken Nugget Is Meat. The Rest Is… (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/PS6vDy