- This Women’s Collective Is Using Agroecology to Fight India’s Green Revolution (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1WhH8aa India once had 14,000 different varieties of rice. But the Green Revolution displaced those traditional varieties with hybrids that can only be grown with chemical fertilizers.
- From ‘Sustainable’ to ‘Regenerative’ – The Future of Food (Organic Consumers Association) http://bit.ly/20gxmd5
- Biomimicry: using nature’s designs to transform agriculture (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/1KLaSWf Finalists in the Food Systems Design Challenge are creating cutting edge agriculture systems using some of the world’s oldest designs
- You Choose: Do You Want to Eat Food Produced by Degenerative or Regenerative Agriculture? (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1Hm29JU
- Sowing Sustainability: How Kids in California Are Learning How to Grow and Sell Organic Food (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1S8yFFy The produce revenue that children earn go directly into their own savings accounts that supports their future education.
- Let’s cultivate our soils wisely (The Sacramento Bee) http://bit.ly/1Hi4J3r International Year of Soils and other efforts are promoting good management if farmers use best practices they can help easy California’s water shortage
- Iowa: Rural town aims to be “the place” for local food firms (Wallace Center) http://bit.ly/1LiHkki People building strong places with local and regional food
- Bread Is Broken (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1RjdqAh Industrial production destroyed both the taste and the nutritional value of wheat. One scientist believes he can undo the damage. It’s not just wheat that has had its taste and nutritional value destroyed…
- The Great Pumpkin Shortage Is Coming (Other Words) http://bit.ly/1PPS7IR Spooky weather patterns are disrupting specialty crops.
- The Case for Home Cooking: What We Lose by Eating Out and Ordering In (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1ObwSRF Our busy lifestyles are preventing us from fully embracing our adult domestic coolness.
- Chef Goes To Washington: Cooks Learn To Lobby Congress On Food (NPR) http://n.pr/1MyeJNB
- Oregon uses schools to move the needle on regional food (Wallace Center) http://bit.ly/1NFrWkY
- Food Hub Benchmarking Study (National Good Food Network) http://bit.ly/1IlF93b Data dive explores financials at wholesale end of local food business
- Tainted Treats: Racism And The Rise Of Big Candy (NPR) http://n.pr/1WmjQFh
- Millennials twice as likely to distrust ‘big food,’ study says (Chicago Tribune) http://trib.in/1NGW5QJ
- Is Eating Organic the Only Way to Make California Agriculture Sustainable? (The People’s Vanguard of Davis) http://bit.ly/1P2d1o9
- Special Ed Teacher’s Job Program Empowers Students, Changes Minds, Melts Hearts (takepart) http://bit.ly/1RnrAQV The San Francisco teacher wants the entire school to
- 8 Nations Going Vegetarian, Proving To The World Less Is More (Peaceful Warriors) http://bit.ly/1l0w6L0
- Buckraking on the Food Beat: When is it a conflict of interest? (Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting) http://bit.ly/1M5rYA3
- Could a Superfood Help Save Haiti’s Forests? (takepart) http://bit.ly/1l2yLng Moringa company Kuli Kuli wants to help to reforest the island by developing a moringa economy.
- Is Indonesia’s Fire Crisis Connected to the Palm Oil in Our Snack Food? (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1McGGbT The widespread burning of tropical rainforests and peatlands to develop palm oil plantations is one of the largest sources of carbon pollution today.
- Indonesia is burning. So why is the world looking away? (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/1P6edqt A great tract of Earth is on fire and threatened species are being driven out of their habitats. This is a crime against humanity and nature
- Peruvian indigenous leader in London to denounce illegal deforestation of 5000 hectares of Peru’s Amazon for palm oil (Forest Peoples Programme) http://bit.ly/1Hn5kB4
- Hemp-Based Insulation Makes a Comeback in Belgium (Global Possibilities) http://bit.ly/1WudtKP
Food Insecurity, Hunger, & Obesity
- Florida Restaurant Combats Local Hunger With Price-Free Menu (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1RppGiI Everyone has a seat at these tables.
- Why Are So Many Food Charities Shutting Down In Ohio? (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/1WgWzVp
- As Schools Buy More Local Food, Kids Throw Less Food In The Trash (NPR) http://n.pr/1W33goB
- In Minneapolis, a Strong ‘Fair Scheduling’ Law for Workers Runs Into a Corporate Roadblock (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1SdO8nO
- Pitting Poor Against Poorer in the Fight for Tips (Moyers & Company) http://bit.ly/1H9muSt
- A Bill of Rights That Puts Workers Above Corporations (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1H4FCRB It’s up to the voters of Spokane, Washington
- Robert Reich: The Morality of a $15 Minimum Wage (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1PPWh3t
- The Hellish Conditions Facing Workers At Chicken Processing Plants (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/1WgiRqi
- Creative Finance Launched Worker-Owned Co-ops in Post-Sandy New York (truthout) http://bit.ly/1Hn2Anh
- The Working World http://bit.ly/1Q2fRJP
Business & Economy
- How This Small Business Is Tackling Poverty And Paying Its Employees Twice the Minimum Wage (forbes) http://onforb.es/1NFlIBF The Lancaster Food Co.
- After Company Raises Minimum Salary to $70,000, Revenue and Profits Double (ThinkProgress) http://bit.ly/1XunSZg
- Kellogg to transition to cage-free eggs in United States (Food Business News) http://bit.ly/1PUvVxn
- An Awful Bitter Brew (Other Words) http://bit.ly/1XxMr7H Should one beer behemoth control 70 percent of the US market?
- Fresh and local a focus for Kroger (Food Business News) http://bit.ly/1iwuYwG
- Hershey: US Income Inequality Is Transforming The Chocolate Business (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1NbdGSG CEO: “We are seeing a widening disparity between upper-income and lower-income” With fewer having the means to purchase what the middleclass has traditionally purchased, we will see more companies of all stripes suffering loss of sales…
- Food and Beverage Sector Swallows Record Funding Amount (Dow Jones) http://bit.ly/1M6H8bA
- General Mills is starting a VC for food startups (fortune) http://for.tn/1LHx5Z3
- The Sharing Economy is Booming in Helsinki” Here’s Why (truthout) http://bit.ly/1P4VBHq
- Groups Gather at Nation’s Capitol to Pressure Congress to Ban Fracking on Public Lands (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1GwtG0v
- Acclaimed Mermaid Delivers Strong Message to Chicken of the Sea (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1KRhZfR
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- A chef’s manifesto: let’s tackle food waste with good fare (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/20fmEnc Dan Barber: ‘If you think not leaving your plate full of food is the way to deal with this issue, you’re letting yourself off too easy.’
- Do We Waste A Lot Of Pumpkins We Could Be Eating? (NPR) http://n.pr/1NeK0Ec
- Salmon On The Menu Might Be A Fraud – Especially In Winter (NPR) http://n.pr/1O8Wgr5
- Indian Government Sues Nestle for $99 Million After Finding Lead in Instant Noodles (Peaceful Warriors) http://bit.ly/1WmBCIt
Water & Our Oceans
- Texas Activists Form Statewide Coalition to Confront Fracking Despite Pushback From State, Industry (truthout) http://bit.ly/1Rdbxoz
- Utah’s Hopes For Oil Shale Bonanza Has A Public Relations Problem, Industry Symposium Hears (DesmogBlog) http://bit.ly/1P08gKi
- Alarming Uptick of Earthquakes in Kansas Linked to Fracking With 52 in Just the Last Two Weeks (truthout) http://bit.ly/1LERWMI
- (Queensland, Australia) Farmers should have right to veto coal seam gas on their land, says Warren Truss (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/1XynxVJ
- Coca-Cola Has Poisoned the Drinking Water of Millions in Sri Lanka (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1ik3rz5 The beverage giant apologized for leaking diesel fuel into the Kelani River, leaving millions without water.
- What If Your Tap Water Was Too Polluted to Drink? (The Nation) http://bit.ly/1jYf3ZH This sorry state of affairs is the daily realty for too many Americans.
- Sustainable Ocean Farming Innovators Win The 2015 Buckminster Fuller Challenge (Global Possibilities) http://bit.ly/1WgTzrS
- How Washington (State) Transformed Its Dying Oyster Industry Into A Climate Success Story (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/1MivkP6
- Why Is It So Hard To Save Gulf Of Maine Cod? They’re In Hot Water (NPR) http://n.pr/1PTSAtz And what of ocean acidification?
- Global Warming Has Opened the Famed Northwest Passage to Navigation (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1XD9BJO
- The Bizarre but True Story of Starfish Committing Suicide (Yahoo!) http://yhoo.it/1ScvmNP
- Plastic Trash Found in Arctic Ocean, Likely Forming Sixth Garbage Patch (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1MAUWx0
- Big Win for Farm Workers as EPA Moves to Ban Dangerous Pesticide (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/1WmhIgE Agency’s proposal hailed as ‘a step forward on the path to environmental justice.’
- EPA to Ban Dangerous Pesticide Chlorpyrifos (Earth Justice) http://bit.ly/1KL3A4J Victory: Children, communities and workers to benefit from long overdue phase-out of neurotoxic agricultural chemical
- USDA Scientist Punished for Neonic Study Files Complaint (Beyond Pesticides) http://bit.ly/1imdRh3
- Senate’s First Biotech Hearing in a Decade Was a Lopsided, Pro-Industry Affair (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1HfkfgF When Senators questioned agency officials on regulatory procedures of GE crops and Biotechnology, no answers were given that address scientific studies needed to ensure their safety.
- Pro-GMO Witnesses Participate in Senate Haring on GMO Labeling (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1H9pGgU
- Another example of a federal agency operating by fiat (Capital Press) http://bit.ly/1isnJ8U Critics say the head of the National Organic Program is keeping secret the names of experts used to formulate policy, has failed to vigorously enforce regulations and punish violators, and is acting at the behest of large corporations.
- Meet the Federal Agency Rubber Stamping the Rampant Expansion of Fracking (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1PDbq8d The agency that once operated quietly under public radar has become the target of activist outrage for spearheading fossil fuel corporate domination.
- Brown signs two oil spill bills, but marine protected areas aren’t fully protected (Bay Area Independent Media Center) http://bit.ly/1NDDRjd
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- GM Crops Now Banned in 38 Countries Worldwide – Sustainable Pulse Research http://bit.ly/1Rdr4ox
- All Monsanto GMO Cornfields Burned Down in Hungary (Peaceful Warriors) http://bit.ly/1isq186 Hungary has located and destroyed 1000 acres of maize that was found to be grown with genetically modified seeds. Hungary is a nation where genetically modified seeds are banned along with other genetically modified ingredients.
- Hawaii Sees Tenfold Increase In Birth Defects After Becoming GM Corn Testing Grounds (Peaceful Warriors) http://bit.ly/1jYggAb
- More Than 100 Monsanto Employees Crashed My Presentation on GE Crops and Pesticides (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1NMSYH4 It’s not easy staring Goliath in the face and speaking hard truths. But it’s important.
- Report: Pesticides in Paradise: Hawai’i’s Health & Environment at Risk (Center for Food Safety) http://bit.ly/1GZ8ShQ
- Bernie and Hillary Support GMOs – but They Don’t Want Labeling Laws to Go ‘Dark’ (takepart) http://bit.ly/1GQhBD4 According to the polling data, voters from both parties support labeling laws.
- Genetically-Engineered Soybeans Give Altered Milk and Stunted Offspring, Researchers Find (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1LHaxb0 This result is the strongest demonstration so far of altered growth and development in offspring of GE-fed mothers.
- From Watch Dogs to Lap Dogs: How Corporate Media Mislead Us on GMOs (truthout) http://bit.ly/208AR5n
- Exclusive: Food Fight Continues Over GMO Labeling (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1MNmVnB
- Mexico’s Chefs Are Fighting a Future of Genetically Modified Corn (Organic Consumers Association) http://bit.ly/1PPVfo6
- Whistleblower Accuses USDA of Censorship Over Anti-Pesticide Reports (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/20eIyXH ‘Bureacracys under political pressure from corporate stakeholders routinely shoot the messenger, even if they are wearing a lab coat.’
- For the First Time Ever, a US Food Company Has Committed to Phasing out Bee-Killing Seed Coatings (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1kZGylW Responding to public pressure to save bees, America’s second biggest popcorn supplier will eliminate neonicotinoid seed coatings.
- Could Beer Save the Honeybees? (Global Possibilities) http://bit.ly/1PPTmru
- Honey Bee Queens Harmed by Neonicotinoid Pesticides (Environment News Service) http://bit.ly/1LFlud6
- For the First Time Ever, a US Food Company Has Committed to Phasing Out Bee-Killing Seed Coatings (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1kZGylW Responding to public pressure to save bees, America’s second biggest popcorn supplier will eliminate neonicotiinoid seed coatings.
- It’s Official: Jon and Tracey Stewart Convert 12-Acre Farm to Animal Sanctuary (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1WhKyK3
- Home (again) on the range: Purebred bison return to Larimer County (Denver Post) http://dpo.st/1RjdeRD Collaboration among CSU and area agencies keeps Yellowstone bison genetics intact, removes troublesome brucellosis
- USDA #FAIL: The Shocking Truth Behind So-Called ‘Humane Farming’ (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1RE0xAw
- We Are Winning the Fight Against Big Soda and the Health Catastrophe They’ve Created (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1Oj3icZ Soda and other food corporations will spend fortunes to influence political processes – but we can still win.
- In ‘Soda Politics,’ Big Soda At Crossroads Of Profit And Public Health (NPR) http://n.pr/1M1RWrt
- The science is in: the case for a sugar tax is overwhelming (The Guardian) http://bit.ly/1OV00wv
- Health Threat of Sugar Is Vastly Underestimated, Study Claims (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1jXEue0 New research says sugar causes high blood pressure and heart disease regardless of weight gain, but critics doubt results.
- Chipotle Closes Locations In Washington, Oregon After E. Coli Outbreak (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1NlR0PJ The Mexican fast-food chain temporarily closed at least 43 restaurants in the two states.
- Chipotle shuts Seattle, Portland stores after E. Coli outbreak (Reuters) http://reut.rs/1KTORV9
- Processed Meats Rank Alongside Smoking as Cancer Risks, WHO Says (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1MrTugA Confirming the worst fears of bacon lovers.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer – World Health Organization Press Release N° 240 http://bit.ly/1LR0IoC
- Marion Nestle: Some comments on the meat-is-carcinogenic report (Food Politics) http://bit.ly/1PPUifq
- Bacon-Pocalypse: The Details Behind the Explosive Headlines (Think Progress) http://bit.ly/1GwvhTU
- WHO says cancer report not a call for people to give up meat (Yahoo!) http://yhoo.it/1M3RclA and http://bit.ly/1M006gG
- Medical Doctor Sells Practice, Open Up “Farmacy” Using Food as Medicine (Organic Consumers Association) http://bit.ly/1N6CWcw
- Pesticide Action Network: What’s on my food? http://bit.ly/1k8dM1I