- Jeong Kwan, the Philosopher Chef (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1GqHc5m The most exquisite food in the world, say many celebrated chefs, is being made not in Copenhagen or New York, but in a remote temple complex south of Seoul by a 59-year-old Buddhist nun
- 28 Most Inspiring Urban Agriculture Projects Around the World (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1Kzdfvd
- Why Aren’t Presidential Candidates Talking about Food and Agriculture? (Union of Concerned Scientists) http://bit.ly/1NoC5Cy
- It’s Time To Fix The Broken Food System (Medium) http://bit.ly/1W1gW8V
- Terrace Farming – an Ancient Indigenous Model for Food Security (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/1GBsokl
- Young Farmers Unite (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/1OOASYh
- Syrian War Forces First-Ever Withdrawal from Global Seed Vault (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/1Kn0tjc After armed conflict destabilized Aleppo gene bank, scientists withdraw seeds from Arctic repository in order to safeguard critical research
- Cooking With Disabilities: An Exercise In Creative Problem Solving (NPR) http://n.pr/1ZYI7R3
- Mexican Farmers Accuse Mining Companies of Shady Tactics in Chiapas (truthout) http://bit.ly/1jyBV1C
- Guess What? The Top 10 Most Vegetarian and Carnivorous Cities in America Are Not Mutually Exclusive (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1jSbC63
- Grand Theft Vino: Higher Wine Prices Are Attracting More Thieves (NPR) http://n.pr/1PHzeH2
- One of America’s Leading Op-Ed Writers Openly Brags About Punishing Waiter Through Tipping (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1PEWRA0 “Make me anxious about whether you got the order straight, and no 20 percent tip will come your way.”
- In defense of tipping (The Washington Post) http://wapo.st/1M5xbXn
- The Secret Psychology Of Restaurant Menus (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1OYRuLv
If nothing tickles your tastebuds, don’t be food into ordering apps. Most Culinary Arts programs and Hospitality Management programs all teach menu engineering…
- Behind The Founding Foodie, A French Trained Chef Bound Bay Slavery (NPR) http://n.pr/1Rpcs52
- China’s Rising Carnivore Class: How the Growing Chinese Taste for Meat Impacts Us All (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1Mgi1Fj With billions to feed and relatively little land to farm, the changing Chinese diet is a serious global issue.
- 8 Things That Actually Make You A Chef (Medium) http://bit.ly/1WcmQPd
- This New Approach to Ranching is Bringing Grass Back to the Arid Southwest (Civil Easts) http://bit.ly/1LOA92p
- The Kenyans Making Cooking Stoves To Address A Deadly Problem (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1R7abMi Diseases linked to open-fire cooking kill more people worldwide than HIV and malaria combined.
- Native (Bolivian) Women Green the Outskirts of the City, Feed Their Families (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/1Ki7XnA
Food Insecurity, Hunger, & Obesity
- US Doctors Advised to Screen Child Patients for Signs of Hunger (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1Ntrw11 The American Academy of Pediatrics issued unprecedented guidelines on how to determine child’s food security and provide resources for struggling families.
- This European researcher thinks overeating can be solved by eating more delicious food (Vox) http://bit.ly/1S4vMpp And what about eating real food made from real ingredients?
- As Schools Buy More Local Food, Kids Throw Less Food In The Trash (NPR) http://n.pr/1W33goB
- This California district brings tasty, local, affordable food to the cafeteria (grist) http://bit.ly/1NU55F7 In Riverside, yes, Riverside…
- Migrant Workers Spread the Word on Illegal Fees (Labor Notes) http://bit.ly/1MeGzZd
- Salad workers hospitalized in chemical spill (The Californian) http://bit.ly/1PHRr7l A toxic stew of chemicals spilled at Taylor Farms processing plant last week, sending 20 workers to the hospital…
- Sexism in the Kitchen (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1W6Cy3y I can tell you some stories…
- Report Shows Shocking Level of Employment Discrimination in Restaurant Industry (takepart) http://bit.ly/1hV4gxn Advocacy group finds workers of color earn 56 percent less than white men with equal qualifications.
- There’s A Shortage Of Cooks In America. Here’s The Simple Solution. (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1LFWJLs Expect price increases across the board if restaurants (finally!) begin to raise wages for the back of the house.
- Not Enough Cooks in the Restaurant Kitchen (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1NURptx
- Subway leads fast food industry in underpaying workers (CNN) http://cnnmon.ie/1fK1VDZ Individual Subway franchisees have been found in violation of pay and hour rules in more than 1,100 investigations spanning from 2000 to 2013…
- You Would Get Sick Less If Restaurant Workers Had Better Benefits (takepart) http://bit.ly/1Gqv8kF Paid sick leave is good for public health.
- Survey: Half Of Food Workers Go To Work Sick Because They Have To (NPR) http://n.pr/1hOjtjY
- Some Workers Say ‘No’ to Health Insurance (NYT) http://nyti.ms/1MdfHZs
- Teamsters Say Union Buster C&S Wholesale Grocers Aims To Kill Jobs at Safeway (In These Times) http://bit.ly/1M9TBgq
Business & Economy
- Israeli Restaurant Gives Jews and Arabs a Discount If They’ll Eat Together (takepart) http://bit.ly/1jBGWGN Despite the ongoing violence between Palestine and Israel, a mutual love of hummus is bringing some folks together
- ‘Farm To Air’? Why JetBlue Is Farming At A New York Airport (NPR) http://n.pr/1Ggrytu
- Inside the Nation’s Largest Organic Vertical Farm (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1kl4C26
- Is the Mighty McDonald’s Empire Facing Its Final Days? (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1NRls5m
- Coca-Cola’s sneaky, evil politics: How Big Soda twisted race and used the Koch Brothers to fight a tax (Salon) http://bit.ly/1GMrrAF Have a Koch and diabetes. Big Soda responds to a cup-size limit by aligning with NAACP, nasty PR and the Kochs
- When Your Teacher Asks If You Want Fries with That (Other Words) http://bit.ly/1PHUD3S McDonald’s Tricks Cash-strapped Schools Into Serving Up Their Own Students
- Here’s What Really Happens When A Restaurant Bans Tipping (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1GiMfVC Six months after eliminating tips, this Pittsburgh eatery is thriving.
- The World’s Largest Fast-Food Chain Is Going Antibiotic-Free – and Not Just for Chicken (takepart) http://bit.ly/1GrrXJC Subway announced that it will cut medically important drugs out of all of its meat.
- Chipotle reaches awkward age (Yahoo!) http://bit.ly/1GRd3XJ
- Cheap Crops, Not Fancy Ingredients, Keep Farmers in the Black (takepart) http://bit.ly/1RpesKH While it might not be the best for the environment, growing commodities is where the money is at
- Robert Reich: Working Full Time and Living in Abject Poverty – That’s What Today’s Minimum Wage Will Get You (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1W2B8XK
- Special apples urge climate action through awesome natural process (grist) http://bit.ly/1hSiPBK
Gleaning, Reuse, Recycling, Composting & Waste
- A new (Tasty) Use For Recycled Water: Beer (Growler) http://bit.ly/1XplXoZ
- Food Fraud a Bigger Problem Than Many Realize, Experts Say (Food Safety News) http://bit.ly/1LVQAhQ
- Sip On This: That $10,000 (Or $30) Bottle Of Wine Might Be Fake (NPR) http://n.pr/1VQvrvW
- Can Beck’s Beer Be Labeled ‘German’ If It’s Brewed In St. Louis? No, Judge Agrees (NPR) http://n.pr/1ZYIyei
Water & Our Oceans
- Communities Push for legal Rights to Regain Power Over Fracking Companies (truthout) http://bit.ly/1PO86WY
- Why You Might Not Want to Be Pregnant in Pennsylvania (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1LBQ1X3 Or anywhere else where fracking is prevalent.
- Chris Hedges: Death by Fracking (truthdig) http://bit.ly/1LFVgZ3
- North Dakota Oil Still Spilling ‘Out of Control’ (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1GqARqo
- Western wildfires threaten water supplies, study finds (USA Today) http://usat.ly/1krxTbI
- How Australia Can Help California Survive Historic Drought (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1LQ1fHj Australians have been successful in managing scarce water resources. Californians could use some of their magic.
- China Is Turning Its Fish Breeding Grounds Into Smartphone Factories (Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1KvIlDW
- Report: Coastal Wetland Conservation Blueprint Project in China: Main findings and recommendations (via Mother Jones) http://bit.ly/1MK8Dnt
- This Tiny Nation Could Be A ‘Tipping Point’ For Saving The Oceans (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1PPaM6R Palau just created one of the five largest fully protected marine reserves in the world.
- 10 Things You Should Know About the American Seafood Supply (Civil Eats) http://bit.ly/1tk2DxU
- Water Remains Largely Marginalized in Climate Talks (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/1W3QndX
- Lessons From NAFTA for the Trans Pacific Partnership (truthout) http://bit.ly/2029oC9
- TTIP Already ‘Rewriting the Rule Book’ or EU Food Standards (Modern Scotsman) http://bit.ly/1MNeBUJ Campaigners say that corporate lobbyists, buoyed by the pending trade agreement, are already lobbying against key food safety measures
- Tip of Iceberg? EU Rules Against Sweetheart Tax Deals for Corporations (Common Dreams) http://bit.ly/1MERXxQ ‘All companies, big or small, multinational or not, should pay their fair share of tax,’ says European Commission… this includes Starbucks…
- European Federation of Public Service Unions tells Commission: Following Starbucks and Fiat decisions go after McDonald’s and the rest… (EPSU) http://bit.ly/1GqKOUR
- Senate panel warms to GMOs (grist) http://bit.ly/1H0iJyT
- After Win for $15 in New York, ‘Wage Boards’ Hear Worker Testimony in 24 Cities (Labor Notes) http://bit.ly/1LOddBq
- Syracuse Mayor Raises Minimum Wage For City Employees To $15 (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1MEUEiV The change is effective immediately.
GMOs/Cloning/Food Technology/Synthetic Biology/Nanotechnology
- 3 Companies Say ‘No’ to GMO Arctic Apples (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1Rw6jEg
- GE Soybeans Give Altered Milk and Stunted Offspring, Researchers Find (Independent Science News) http://bit.ly/1LVQKWF
- Monsanto asks California to pull plan to list herbicide as cancer cause (Reuters) http://reut.rs/1LmIUnp
- Exclusive: Food Fight Continues Over GMO Labeling (EcoWatch) http://bit.ly/1MNmVnB
- Study Blows Company’s Bogus Claim About GMO Salmon Out of the Water (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1ONjDqk According to Canadian government study, AquaBounty doesn’t have a shred of evidence supporting their growth claims.
- Scientific Review Dpt. of Fisheries and Oceans Canada: Environmental and Indirect Human Health Risk Assessment of the AquAdvantage Salmon (Food & Water Watch) http://bit.ly/1jFiW5E
- In Hawaii, Concern Rises about Use of Farm Pesticides (Inter Press Service) http://bit.ly/1GBsCrM
- Wildflowers serve as reservoir for controversial pesticides (Chemistry World) http://rsc.li/1VUGJ2t
- Germany Becomes the First Nation to Ban ‘Chick Shredding’ (Nation of Change) http://bit.ly/1KpcWmu
- Report Suggests Taking a Second Look at Safety of Animal Drugs (Food Safety News) http://bit.ly/1OPZtMe
- Report: America’s Secret Animal Drug Problem: How Lack of Transparency Is Endangering Human Health and Animal Welfare (Center for Food Safety) http://bit.ly/1S53ElY
- More Than 170 Animals Rescued From Nightmarish Backyard (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1XseGVe
- Confronting America’s Wildlife Extinction Crisis (Center for American Progress) http://ampr.gs/1Gm6OjV 1 in 5 American Animal Species Is at Risk of Extinction
- 182 Sickened By ‘Extremely Contagious’ Shigella Bacteria in San Francisco Bay Area (Huffington Post) http://huff.to/1id5lkk Transmission usually occurs when fecal matter enters the mouth, health officials say.
- The 56 Most Common Names for Sugar (Some are Tricky) (Authority Nutrition) http://bit.ly/1GZUz7D
- Is Cheese the New Crack? Study Finds Pizza as Addictive as Some Drugs (AlterNet) http://bit.ly/1kBsn6r Highly processed foods like pizza, cake and chocolate affect the body and brain similarly to drugs.
- Study: Which foods may be addictive? The roles of processing, fat content, and glycemic load. (PubMed) http://1.usa.gov/1cLolna
- The Palm Oil You Want to Eat (takepart) http://bit.ly/1LG4scs Ruddy ‘dendê’ is a far cry from the grease found in so many processed foods.